head gasket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head gasket question

my 93 is heating up more than my other one and it has a coolant leak that i cant find. (carpets not wet) but i cant see any smoke. could the head gasket be going? if not what other possibilities could there be?
    1993 5 speed FI. 2-5/8" tach, short throw, muffler delete. SOLD
    1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
    2000 Trans Am 6 speed
    1997 HD 1200 sportster
    1986 Honda Rebel 250

Little tinny hole on one house, or may be a loose clamp. Or if your Festi is AT, check the oil to see if it is passing water to the transmission oil. Have you check your thermostat?

Comment

yeah i took the thermostat out to see if that was the problem. and no that wasnt. my festiva is 5 speed also
      1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
      2000 Trans Am 6 speed
      1997 HD 1200 sportster
      1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

i'm betting on a pinhole as well. if your system can't hold pressure, then it will start to boil internaly and overheat.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Any problem with the coolant in the reservoir ?
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

not that i know of. it just sits there. the level doesnt seem to change and it doesnt bubble like it used to.
            2000 Trans Am 6 speed
            1997 HD 1200 sportster
            1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

It use to bubble ? :shock:
              sigpic

Comment

the thermostat if i recalled the little hole has to be at the 12:00 position

Comment

Change the rediator cap, is not that expensive.

Comment

yeah i re installed the thermostat with the little hole at the 12:00 posistion. and im about to go to advance and get a new cap! it would be nice if thats all it is!!
                    2000 Trans Am 6 speed
                    1997 HD 1200 sportster
                    1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

okay i just put a new radiator cap on it and that did not help. im thinkin i might swap radiators in my festivas to see if thats the problem. any other ideas?
                      2000 Trans Am 6 speed
                      1997 HD 1200 sportster
                      1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

Re: head gasket question

Originally posted by smokin fastiva
                        (carpets not wet) but i cant see any smoke. could the head gasket be going? if not what other possibilities could there be?
                        I don't understand this part of your inquiry. That's not much to go on. Could you elaborate ?
                        sigpic

Comment

OMG stop, just stop..... find the problem, then FIX the problem. your car overheats... is the radiator topped off (or close) after it cools down? if not, then you're loosing fluid and therefore pressure, causing the coolent to boil. Find the leak.

Are there any parts of the engine bay that are stained as if they've been sprayed by water? look for wet spots on the top and bottom of the radiator. is there evidence of water in the oil (or god forbid, oil in the water)? there's no white smoke from the tail pipe... not head gasket. if you can get the system to pressurise, (while the engine is running) squeeze the hoses and look for a stream or mist (use gloves for this, boiling water is HOT). Look for water exiting the firewall on the engine side behind the alt. WITHOUT the a/c running (if there is, you're heater core is bad). look for a waxy substance near the water pump and intake manifold.

report any and all findings and repair.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You can do an intake manifold vacuum test to see if your head gasket is blown or if the head to block surface is warped.
                            sigpic

Comment

this may be off subject but my 91 used the old style anti freeze and i bought some of the new one that will mix with any antifreeze guess what. the anti freeze leak i had i have no more...i do not get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X