new b6 starting, now with free lifter tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new b6 starting, now with free lifter tick

hay guys, just thought I'd post my engine beinge started for like the 3rd time after rebuild, I've got a stuck lifter that must have collapsed, but I have a bunch of spares, suspect that maybe even some old head gasket debris possibibly clogged the minute passages in the lifter and collopsed, I was just worried when I first heard it that it was rod knock, but this motor has all new bearings so hopefully thats not the case..........o and it goes like snot now :wink: the motor is still a bit loud because of breakin and my exhaust kinda sucks and the intake makes the engine loud, but thats alright
    http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_0472.flv :?

did you pump them up before installation? I had one doing that that I forgot to prime and I took it out and pumped it up...noise went away.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

really, what did you do to pump them up?

Comment

well...I do not know about the b6 lifters...if they are the same as the b3? If so....the little hole on them...I used a scratch all and pushed it...that relieves the pressure in them. Then I took a pan and put enough oil in it to cover the lifter...and I worked the button with my fingers in and out and squeezed out the old oil and sucked in the new...if it gets stiff...poke it with the all again and relieve the pressure...then pump them up....when you are satisfied that they have clean oil in them...put em back in. If the lifters are differant...all you do is actuate the hydraulic portion somehow so that it can suck the oil in when released. That way they do not have to try and pump up when put into the car.
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

cool, thanks man, I'll do that with the replacement lifter off the old motor, oh, and I pulled the valve cover, and the number 3 exhaust lifter was completely collapsed, I could squish it in with my finger with ease while all the rest were firm and I could not compress them by hand. I checked the lifers on the old motor and they have all held there pressure even after several months of sitting, I still can't compress them by hand, so I'm just gonna swap the bad one out with one of these good ones, then I'll post another sound clip when it sounds like a normal engine again, this is all kind of a relief because if I had not found a lifter collapsed it would have ment that something had gotton into the rod bearing and ruined it, but I couldn't imagine what, other then maybe some remains of the paper head gasket that fell into an oil gally maybe, but thats only paper anyhow and it would be very minute.

Comment

you may just need to pump the thing up.....they have a problem sometimes pumping up on their own.
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

ya, I actually tried that but it appeares to be seized collapsed, I couldn't even pull it into the extended position with the needle nose, must have been from when the engine sat for a while, but oh well, I'll just use one of the spares I have, thanks man :wink:

Comment

Working...
              X