No announcement yet.

Lightened flywheel gone wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one come off of my lathe. It was crazy. That looks like a festy but something says its not.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

thats awesome now to make sure its put in properly

Comment

Some years back, I read about a case in California where the stock generator pulley on a VW Bug fractured while driving down El Camino Real (aka "Main Street"). A piece of the pulley shot out through the body and flew into the head of a kid on the sidewalk, killing him instantly. Apparently, the pulley had a manufacturing defect in the form of a hairline crack.

There have been several case of jet engines discombobulating on takeoff, with rotating parts piercing the containment vessel, which I think is made out of titanium, then penetrating the fuselage and impaling passengers. FAA requires testing wherein a single fan blade is intentionally separated at its root (using remote-controlled explosives) at high rpm to see what happens. The containment vessel is supposed (and usually does) keep everything inside. The resulting out-of-balance condition, however, sometimes causes the engine to separate from the wing/fuselage. The engine mounting points are designed to fail under massive loads rather than let the distressed engine bring down the entire aircraft.

I've noticed that some newer 737-800s lack windows at seats 9A and 10F for no apparent reason. I suspect it's because there's a metal plate in place of the window to stop flying bits of engine. Personally, I won't sit in those rows.
        Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 03-04-2012, 10:45 AM.
        88L black, dailydriver
        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg
        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
          Some years back, I read about a case in California where the stock generator pulley on a VW Bug fractured while driving down El Camino Real (aka "Main Street"). A piece of the pulley shot out through the body and flew into the head of a kid on the sidewalk, killing him instantly. Apparently, the pulley had a manufacturing defect in the form of a hairline crack.

There have been several case of jet engines discombobulating on takeoff, with rotating parts piercing the containment vessel, which I think is made out of titanium, then penetrating the fuselage and impaling passengers. FAA requires testing wherein a single fan blade is intentionally separated at its root (using remote-controlled explosives) at high rpm to see what happens. The containment vessel is supposed (and usually does) keep everything inside. The resulting out-of-balance condition, however, sometimes causes the engine to separate from the wing/fuselage. The engine mounting points are designed to fail under massive loads rather than let the distressed engine bring down the entire aircraft.

I've noticed that some newer 737-800s lack windows at seats 9A and 10F for no apparent reason. I suspect it's because there's a metal plate in place of the window to stop flying bits of engine. Personally, I won't sit in those rows.
          Lol! I make the scatter boxes (testing fixture) that Honewell tests their engines in so I can verify this.

Also, I bought a VW Jetta gli from a close friend and it had a big tear in the hood right over the alternator. The alternator fan had separated and it flung right out of the hood, scared the crap out of him. He took it as a sign to sell the car. lol.
          Modern alternators have internal fans (like the alternators on our festivas) to limit the chance of an alternator fan to the head.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Advanceddynamix,

I like the term "scatter box!"

Here's a good one I remember.

An American Airlines Boeing 727 carrying 81 passengers and nine crew members landed safely at Lindbergh Field at noon Tuesday, 45 minutes after one of its three jet engines dropped off over Deming, N.M., officials reported.

Unless they've found it, there should still be an approx 10,000-pound 727 engine self-buried in the NM desert. Aircraft obviously didn't have GPS back in 1985 (much of the "should be recycled into paper clips" garbage legacy operators are flying around still don't), and high-altitude radar isn't all that accurate, so it may never be found.
            Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM.
            88L black, dailydriver
            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg
            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              to limit the chance of an alternator fan to the head.
              I hate when that happens..
              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Working...
              X