Bad snake bite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkannegaard View Post
    sweet i didnt know they made a aluminum fe i know the made heads and intakes but not blocks cool. not a lot of people take the time to actually put big blocks in them
    It came with the aluminum FE in it, from Shelby. This isn't a replica, its a real 427 Shelby Cobra. The aluminum block FE engines were built specifically for Shelby North America. The cars were not kit cars, but they weren't complete and required a lot of work to be street legal. This car took almost two years to get on the road, due to the rarity of the proper parts. I built the exhaust, cooling system and customized the chassis for the toploader trans. I also had to do some body work to make the car straight enough for a polishedfinish to look good. I have over a thousand hours into that car. Glad you guys like it!
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Here, in our small town, we dream of fast Festivas, and talk about what we'd do if we ever had the chance to build something like that Cobra, let alone see one. You're the real deal, and that's awesome. I'd love to see that car in person someday. By the way, ya had me worried 'til I saw that picture!
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

What's an FE? I thought at first that it was a Mazda block.

From context, it ain't. Early Ford V-8?

I think Triumph used a copy of that Buick small V-8: a 215 CI aluminum block one. Found it:

"The TR8 did not use Triumph's own single overhead cam V8 as found in the Stag due to its weight and service record but instead shared its Rover V8 engine with the Rover SD1. The engine itself was derived from an early 1960s Buick/Oldsmobile all-aluminum 215 cu in (3.5 L) V8 that Rover acquired from General Motors in the mid-60s. History has shown this engine to be an extremely reliable, flexible, and robust powerplant, especially after BL developed a better manufacturing process. TR8s were initially fitted with twin Zenith-Stromberg carburetors. However, all 1980 models sold in California, all 1981 models (of which only 352 were produced including 20 cars for the UK market) and all 1982 models (of which all 69 went to Canada) featured a Bosch L-jetronic fuel injection system with a specially designed Lucas fuel injection computer (ECU). The carburetor model was rated at 133 bhp (99 kW; 135 PS) (at around 5000 rpm) and the fuel injected at either 137[4] or possibly 148 bhp[5] delivering 0–60 mph times in the low 8 seconds.[6] TR8 engines are often fitted with Edelbrock, Holley or Offenhauser intake manifolds to allow use of common Holley or other four barrel carburetors."

From wiki:

I wonder about how a modded 215 Buick engine would do in a SHO type Festiva?

I'm thinking it would probably be more cost effective and get more power to use a more modern aluminum 350 V-8.

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-16-2012, 11:57 AM.
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Gorgeous!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Very nice. Too much chrome for me tho. Chrome don't get ya home.
              Ford Fester

Comment

Polished aluminum looks nice, in a way.

On a sunny day that would kill my eyes!

I like very very little shiny stuff of any kind. If I had that car I'd be painting anything in my eyesight flat black. So best for me would be to paint it dark blue, with flat black trim.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

The polished car is very difficult to keep clean, even fingerprints will corrode the finish. It wouldn't be my choice either, but the owner of this car also owns a metallic blue one with white stripes. It's got a 427 side oiler with imagine injection itbs and motec management. I like driving the blue one better, even though it's only 500hp ( low comp motor).

Comment

Working...
                  X