New 97 Aspire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went ahead and put my Mazda 626 intermittent wiper switch

Can this be done to a Festy? If so tell me more, I want intermittent bad...

Comment

I'm sure it can be. I spent a couple days and who knows how many hours those days digging thru wiring diagrams from the 626 and aspire to figure out which wires needed to be spliced to what, its a different type of wiring altogether, and I ended up splicing some wires based on the results I got ffrom throwing the switch with a continuity tester on the wires. It works, but the hazards need spliced to another switch... Some people cut a hole in the top of the column cover, but the problem here is there isn't a place to bolt the stock hazard switch to! I had mine wired to a dash button in kiazord that needs swapped to this car that has no name yet.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by qroger View Post
        What if he towed it in drive?
        instant death.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^ I don't think I would have been able to move the van with a rearend intact if the car would have been in drive.. and I tied the shifter up to make sure it couldn't pop in R or D. I know this is was absolutely retarded in your opinion, but it had to be done and nobody got hurt.
          Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
            ^ I don't think I would have been able to move the van with a rearend intact if the car would have been in drive.. and I tied the shifter up to make sure it couldn't pop in R or D. I know this is was absolutely retarded in your opinion, but it had to be done and nobody got hurt.
            nope, don't think its retarded. Sounds like you were being as safe as possible. Gotta do whatcha gotta do sometimes!

oh, and by instant death, I meant for the trans, not you! It would have towed in drive initially, but locked up soon after.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

A friend of mine bought an automatic 323 that had been towed behind an RV for nearly 60k miles, without the external pump installed. He beat on that car all throughout college, never once changed the oil, let alone tranny fluid, and it still drove fine when he sold it after school. I changed the intake boot spark plugs and wires when he first got it, and remember telling him the tranny would probably go out. That's why he never changed the oil, he planned to junk it when the trans crapped out.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Festy XFI say he has flat towed auto festys with no repercussions.

When I recently towed my auto 3 hours I let it idle the whole time.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

When I was driving Luxstiva regularly I would always turn off the engine and neutral coast into parking spots and my own back yard. On one trip to Canada I remember coasting downhill with engine off during a big construction slowdown for maybe a couple miles.

Never had any ATX trouble. Towing and coasting may not be good for them, but they seem to be pretty tough little automatics.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Haha..let's hope so! I'm curious to see what kind of gas milage I'm getting! I swapped newish plug wires today, did a little seafoam treatment, and wire brushed the plugs. It takes a minute to start, usually rolls over twice and fires up. I want it to fire as soon as the key turns! Maybe I need a new cap and rotor? Swapped in my SE cluster too, rpm tach isn't working right but it will be soon. Turns out 02 KIA rios use the same pinout for their cluster sockets.
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Went to Columbus today, Karl hooked me up with these sweet rotors, ATE slotted, and they look really good behind the protege alloys IMO, didn't get a final pic yet it got dark lol..
                      Attached Files
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Nice, Matt!

Here's the story:

I found the ATE rotor on sale at Tirerack for about $21 as I recall. They only had one though. I figured I'd get the other somewhere else. I found them for $13.10 at Partsgeek, so I ordered one. Partsgeek had their own part/inventory numbers so nothing matched, but both were for auto Aspires. (I also ordered two Brembo Aspire rotors at the same time for the same price, for a total of about $51 shipped.) When it arrived, it was ALMOST the same, but not quite and had a different ATE part number. I knew Matt wanted a set because he had seen mine, so I ordered three more for the same $51 price. So I wound up with two sets of ATE Aspire rotors and one spare for ??

I think I'm gonna make some ART out of my brand new "spare" slotted rotor. It should look grand!

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                          Went to Columbus today, Karl hooked me up with these sweet rotors, ATE slotted, and they look really good behind the protege alloys IMO, didn't get a final pic yet it got dark lol..

ha ha thats funny you have an aqua festiva with a blue pass door i have a blue festiva with an aqua pass door we should trade up
                          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

^.^ its karls aquamutt
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Couldn't get a daylight pic lol..I was running all day. I plugged in a 500w light and snapped a couple though!

It's a really crappy camera, standing that far away you can see the slots in the rotors, its a beautiful sight!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-13-2013, 07:22 PM.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Car is still running great! I've been neglecting her for my new love, Fiona, though My wife seems to really love having a decent gas milage bearer to run around in Haha..poor car needs a good cleaning, the kids have had their way with her..

I got a present from Chobobulous the other day, finally got the ac working properly again, could use a charge but it is air and its cold enough! Thanks chobobulous, this will be much appreciated this summer!

We took babyspire out to the lake last weekend, did some grilling out in the parking lot and swam in the still chilly water, but it was a good time! People are always staring at my cars, i don't get it..
                                Attached Files
                                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                                X