No announcement yet.

I bought a Church!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Festiva Revival House has some serious potential, its (imo) not as loaded down with bat crap and coon poop as Karl makes it sound, nothing a days worth of work can't fix. So far we've been working on securing the doors, and by the time its done not even the forces of John Himself will be able to penetrate! It's a fixxer upper but it shouldn't take much more than a garage door, some 2x4's, and a couple days worth of work gutting existing walls and floors and patching the roof to have a fully functional service and repair facility.

You can see a little of the progress made on the front door, the whole door frame could have easily been pulled out before, but a couple tapcons and some wood has made it fairly secure so far. The back door has been barred shut.

We got in a little hurry with the bench but it turned out great. Excellent idea for repurposing alter wood, maybe in the future some Festiva parts will be saved on it?!

Getnpsi, definitely need ideas for the sign!!!!!!
    Attached Files
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Real nice score Safety Guy. Many folks spook at the prospect of buying/converting a 'place of worship' but it looks to me the original tenants had the foresight to foresee/design for multi-use. Metal roofs oftentimes do not leak directly even though they look shabby. Condensation is usually the culprit. If there is no vapour barrier (asphalt felt paper/plastic sheeting/ice % water shield) directly under those sheets (and this is often the case in 40-50 year old buildings) daily condensation as the sheets heat up and cool down will run down and away to ultimately appear indoors somewhere, usually ceilings and walls. Oftentimes the easiest fastest way to solve this is by taking the sheets off one by one and unrolling a plastic tarp under each individual before screwing the sheet back on. The metal roof then becomes the mechanical protection for the effective plastic or rubber roof underneath.

Comment

Very nice! How much work will it take to put in a two-car garage door on a long side of the building? Being cinder block, I'm guessing it is all pretty much self-supporting, so there would be no structural issues worth mentioning.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Plans for a septic field? Nice setup. Can we nominate this for FOTY?

Comment

nice find Karl.
            1992 Green GL - "It's not easy being green" - Kermit - RIP killed by a tree
            1992 Aqua Funtop - Belle
            Wife of V8Festiva.

Madness Committee Member
            website www.festivamadness.com

Comment

Most excellent! I'd be honored to stop in as a guest missionary on one of my short test drives. looking forward to seeing the progress.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

SO....cherry koolaid or watermelon? Sugar in the raw or regular granulated?
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Raw watermelon!

Festiva Revival House! That has a nice ring to it!!!!

You should put in some small church bells ...and ring in the Festiva meets! :smile:
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

who cares , it looks more like a garage then a church anyway , even real cathedral rock built churches are being converted to homes here cause no one goes there anymore. Nice score !

Comment

That's awesome.

Let us know when the first official meet is.
                      After its all cleaned up.

I would love to stop by and grill some food and hang out with people.

Is it all grass or will there be pavement laid down some point in the future?
                      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Right now it's all grass! I think there is some gravel left around the outside of the "drive" that help a bit, but you can't see it too well. I do plan on having an "open house" this spring when it's ready, and I'll provide the grills and most of the refreshments, but other than dogs, it'll be BYOMeat to simplify my tasks.

Future plans include a gravel drive up, a front gate, and a front deck. Oh, that front deck idea, incorporating a car ramp so a lift won't be necessary!

And yes, a garage door entry is also planned, for the far long wall. But first things first. I'll post more later; gotta run now.

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Excellent adaptive re-purposing! And nice of them to have filled the windows in for you already.

Comment

Awesome can't wait to see the final product.

Good luck with your endeavors.
                            Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Really cool pickup, Karl! I will have to see this place in person!
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Festiva revival house, I love it!
                                Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                                Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                                Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                                WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Working...
                                X