No announcement yet.

I bought a Church!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the church going? Updates please.

Sent from the depths of hell.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

Comment

This is awesome. People are going to start dropping off neglected Festivas.
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
      -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
      -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

I think the coon's out. The last three times I've been there, there has been no sign and no noise from the attic areas. I do have the furnace room opening blocked so it can't get in, but there were scratches on the furnace room outer walls where it tried to climb down and had to drop the last few feet.

Last time I was there, I found a bat. I was hoping they wouldn't come back so soon! The church is not fully sealed yet due to the harsh winter cold. I can't caulk at such low temps.

I have taken more junk from my garage to store at the church, so it is serving an admirable purpose though! I have an upcoming engine swap (B6 to B6) for AquaMutt. I'll be updating that thread as well soon.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

B6-b6me or just b6?!?!?!! Need help?! I got a pretty super awesome cherrypicker henceforth known as The Monster Beast.
          Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I saw your Monster Beast! Old timey looking thang it is, too! Won't need it here since I have a hoist. It's just not as cool as yours is!

Plain old B6 with under 80K miles should be arriving this week, to replace my current B6 in Aqua. I chose it because I need to get this engine replaced quickly and the same engine should just pop right in. No exhaust, mount or ECU work needed like I'd have to do going to a B8 or B6-ME.

It's getting new seals, WP, timing belt, etc. first. Should be ready to swap next weekend. I'm making more room in my garage, courtesy of my church/warehouse.

The problem is head gasket issues again. Burning some coolant, especially during the cold weather. I'm going to do a full rebuild I thinks.

I'll send you a PM.

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-22-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Excellent.. Maybe a monthly working bee for members who want to stop in and help get the place up and add some things around the place.

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Jawbraeka wrote: "Maybe a monthly working bee for members who want to stop in and help get the place up and add some things around the place."

I wanted to have a bonfire but it's still in the planning stages. We'll see.

The harsh winter has slowed progress gutting the inside.

Karl

Comment

Yeah I hear that..

Avg Economy:
                  Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

The place is looking great & has great potential!

I would love to donate my time to help fix the place up. My only problem is my work schedule. Right now my weekends are Thursday & Friday.
                    Last edited by muleskinner; 03-22-2014, 10:24 PM.
                    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

This place will rock.

Last edited by jawbraeka; 03-23-2014, 06:03 PM.

Avg Economy:
                      Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                        Excellent.. Maybe a monthly working bee for members who want to stop in and help get the place up and add some things around the place.

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                        The place is looking great & has great potential!

I would love to donate my time to help fix the place up. My only problem is my work schedule. Right now my weekends are Thursday & Friday.

I agree 100%.
                        There a more than a few of us with in say 100 miles willing drop in one weekend and give you a hand.
                        I assume sleeing bags and coolers to be brough so we can maximize the amount work that gets done.
                        We can bring our own masks/clothes to help remove the old insulation and replace with new.
                        You provide material we provide labor.

Also there are a number of more efficient solar heating units available not free mind you but very efficient at collecting solar energy and there are cheap way to store it.
                        Furnace room- what is/was the heat source?
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post

Also there are a number of more efficient solar heating units available not free mind you but very efficient at collecting solar energy and there are cheap way to store it.
                          Furnace room- what is/was the heat source?
                          Make a soda can solar heater? Free heat for the day and burn the furnace overnight..

Perhaps a battery bank, wind/solar power to supplement an income from the power company to help raise money for resouces whilst you're not using the place..

Also a donation to get a BBQ going on over the weekend it's on.

Last edited by jawbraeka; 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM.

Avg Economy:
                          Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                            Make a soda can solar heater? Free heat for the day and burn the furnace overnight..
                            Not going to give you enough heat during the winters here need more efficient design, thinking vacuum tube concentrators and a chain of recycled 50 -100gallon water heaters for storage.

Solar and wind could be used for off grid living depending on location, but power companies make it hard for anything less than a 3-5 KWhr system to get a check from them.
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                              Not going to give you enough heat during the winters here need more efficient design, thinking vacuum tube concentrators and a chain of recycled 50 -100gallon water heaters for storage.

Solar and wind could be used for off grid living depending on location, but power companies make it hard for anything less than a 3-5 KWhr system to get a check from them.
                              Ahhhh well at least I'm thinking about it.

That really sucks that low generators of power don't even get a look in. You would think the power companies would have incentive schemes to get smaller places to sign up. Ahhhh well.

I hear that 1Kw electric motors can be had pretty cheap and can be used to feed back into the grid.. Find 3 2Kw and you could be eligible..

Are you living there or is it just a church separate from your house?

Last edited by jawbraeka; 03-23-2014, 07:35 PM.

Avg Economy:
                              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Ahh, all great ideas, but not really fitting the idea right now. My solar heater will only be heating a small office area. Maybe 8' x 20' at the most, which will be enough, supplemented by a plug in electric heater.

As for the nasty stuff in the attic, it may be very nasty, requiring a full face mask and very small particulate filtering capabilities. I'm going to ask my doctor in early April about this task. Histoplasmosis is nothing to play with!

The old funace room is just that: the 8' x 8' or so add on in the back; the furnace long gone. All that's left is the duct work, which I need to tear out. The building is 30' x 45' with ten foot walls and a large attic area, which is too much to heat for me. Right now it's just a warehouse, which is good enough.

Big plans will take some time, but I hope to get my garage door opening done by fall. I'll be making the doors myself. They'll be the sliding barn type, both inside and outside. I'll probably do one side before cutting into the wall.

First step is just sealing up the place from bats and mice!

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll post more pics soon.

Karl
                                Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-23-2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X