No announcement yet.

Pics of my 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealt with the rust today, as described above.

Needs both tie rod ends, steering boots, lower ball joints, and a boot on the outer pass. side. Also needs four new struts. Everything on there looks like it musta bin original. Left axle replaced tho.

So far, I will be into it for about $1400, including cost of car, for a great DD!

Next year I will install my Capri wheels with 185/60x14 tires, to make it even cooler. Currently has cheap 175/70x13s, but with good tread, and look to be decent in the snow. Planning on bringing it to Madness IX.

Edit: And it will be getting Matthew's header, which is the original one that Matt D. built.
    Last edited by TominMO; 09-21-2014, 05:28 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      Edit: And it will be getting Matthew's header, which is the original one that Matt D. built.
      Will the header fit the early B6?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        Will the header fit the early B6?
        Yup.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

That 323 looks in very good condition would have loved to get my hands on it lol

Comment

Originally posted by my3rdball View Post
            That 323 looks in very good condition would have loved to get my hands on it lol
            Yeah, I'm thinking the PO sold it rather than do all the maintenance it requires. He wasn't the DIY type, and he only had it for a year. The owner before him was the original owner. Just think what a shop would have charged in labor to do all this stuff; not to mention putting on cheap parts and reaming him on their cost too. My Aspire had a cheap inner tie rod, like a $10 item, that the shop charged $100 for! (I got a bunch of repair records with the car.) The PO was a young female who apparently like most people is dependent on the shops. Sad.

Edit: forgot to mention above that fortunately the front brakes were done. Unfortunately, the gen1 323s had the same brake disk config that Festys have, so when I need to change it out someday it will be the same hassle.
            Last edited by TominMO; 09-21-2014, 06:23 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

In the process of installing new rear KYB struts. One's on, and will do the other this week. It also needs front struts and a battery. This one works but is five years old. Think I'm gonna swap my Festy's 18-month-old battery into it and buy a new one for the Festy; either a skinnier Honda one, or go the Charlie route.

Also installing a short shifter made by Gomez out of a Capri shifter, which is already shorter on top than the Festy/Aspire/gen1 323 shifter. These three cars use the identical (shape and length) shifter.

Seriously thinking of selling it to thin out the fleet/free up $$ for the other cars. I will have $1800 into it, after replacing the front struts with KYBs. Also did these items: both tie rod ends (Moog), steering boots, lower ball joints (Moog), and a boot on the outer pass. side axle. PS is disconnected, but steering is light with the new 175/65-14 Generals on Capri rims. I have all the PS parts and a rebuild kit for the pump.

I need to do an updated pic to show it with these rims. It does have A/C. Clutch does not slip or chatter. Exhaust is all good, but there is a slight heat-shield rattle, and it is not obvious to me where it comes from. I'm thinking the cat, but that all seems solid. I'm keeping the B3 header that Matt D made (his original prototype, which was on Matthew), for a future project. Orange tach cluster, fully functional. Paint fading on roof and trunk; I will try buffing with polishing compound. Glass is all good. Trunk is huge, and even has a light. Remote pulls for the gas door and trunk.
              Last edited by TominMO; 04-25-2015, 07:03 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Tom, do you still have the factory air box?
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  Tom, do you still have the factory air box?
                  Tossed it.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Ordered the front KY Jelly struts, bumpers and bellows. Installed short shifter.

Installing the pass. rear strut is taking several days, due to paint-drying time. I treated the strut tower, up inside the wheel well, with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. There was light surface rust there. Today I will spray it with a Rustoleum enamel. I had to buy new rear strut mounts; the left one was totally rusted thru and actually collapsed a few months ago, which is what prompted me to get to work on the suspension. Luckily I wasn't too far from home when this happened; I limped the car home. No structural damage, but I noticed (after removing the plastic cover) there was a two-inch rusted-thru portion on the left strut tower. I treated it with Rust Reformer, JB Welded it, and painted over it. The right strut mount didn't have long to go either, but the tower itself is in pretty good shape. This is all from winter road salt. Both new strut mounts have been painted with Rustoleum enamel paint. Given that the originals lasted 28 years with poor factory paint, these should last the life of the car. Springs are getting the same treatment, Rust Reformer then Rustoleum enamel.

Now I'm thinking that as a preventative I should pull my rear struts on the Festy, and treat the inside of the strut towers as well. I will paint them white for better visibility up in there. The car hasn't been exposed to much road salt, but still a good idea for peace of mind. Prevention is always easier than cure.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 04-27-2015, 08:30 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Forgot to mention I also ordered a dash cover, due to the cracks in the dash plastic. The only eyesore on the car is that dash.

I'm wondering if the gen1 323 seatpans are a direct bolt-in into 88-89 Festy's. The 323 driver's seatpan has an adjustment for seat tilt, to raise or lower the front for thigh support. IDK if this is just an LX trim-level thing or for all gen1 323s.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

If I sell it, which I probably will, a certain member who works in industrial chemistry has dibs.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Me likes!
                          Still searching for a decent 5spd festy! ):

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            Forgot to mention I also ordered a dash cover, due to the cracks in the dash plastic. The only eyesore on the car is that dash.

I'm wondering if the gen1 323 seatpans are a direct bolt-in into 88-89 Festy's. The 323 driver's seatpan has an adjustment for seat tilt, to raise or lower the front for thigh support. IDK if this is just an LX trim-level thing or for all gen1 323s.
                            No. I just installed those seats in Pedro yesterday ( well mine are tracer seats). The rails on the BF seats are removable though, so fabricating a hybrid should be pretty simple.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Front struts came in today, a day earlier than they said. I already have the strut bumpers/bellows. Just gotta paint 'em w/Rustoleum and stick 'em on. Probably Sunday, test drive, check alignment.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Three more pics.

How it looks with the Capri wheels. Tires are General Altimax RT43 175/65-14.

The dash cover. I just have it laid in place, not velcroed down yet. Cutouts for all vents, and clock.

New A/C pulley mount assembly, to replace the annoyingly ginormous PS pump/reservoir/pulley.
                                Last edited by TominMO; 04-30-2015, 05:58 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X