A real Festiva has a hitch..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powerstiva View Post
    Does anyone know if the curt hitch would be capable of towing a motorcycle from Wisconsin to California? My bike weighs around 500lbs
    I dont know about the distance. but I had one on my stock squatty festy and I pulled a 700 lb lawn tractor all over the place with no problems at all

Comment

Here's mine before I did the paint job. I've had a total combined weight between trailer loaded with scrap and the pulling Festy of over 4000 lbs.
      Attached Files

Comment

The 88 has a universal kit I got at a garage sale. I think it was used on a 63 chevy impala. It has a heavy strap that is crosswise on the bottom of the bumper. I bought two long bolts to go clear through he bumper top to bottom to mount this strap to the bumper. There are two drop adapters that are adjustable for height.They go down to the tongue. The tongue has several mounting holes. I took the rubber out of the spare tire well and ground a fender washer to fit the hole. I bolted the rear of the tongue to this and bolted the drop adapters to the part of the tongue below the bumper. It has proven to be a strong and secure hitch for several trailers that I have. It does require the bumper cover to be cut to fit on the bottom. I would tow to your big eastern events with either of these if I was retired.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Powerstiva View Post
          Does anyone know if the curt hitch would be capable of towing a motorcycle from Wisconsin to California? My bike weighs around 500lbs
          I believe your vehicle towing capacity is 800lbs.

So a 500lb motorcycle with a trailer 300 lbs or less. You should be golden.

Those cure hitches I believe are rated for 1000 lbs or more?
          Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a while since I looked.
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Here's mine made from a 1 1/4 to 2 inch adapter.
            I split it in all 4 corners and put it threw the crash bar and a folded out the corners then welded it up. I've only hauled a small boat for long periods. . I've hooked up and moved a large pwc around the yard. I think I'm going to add some angle iron for added straight.

Comment

That thing looks custom sweet ! Your description of engineering leaves one to wonder but proof is it worked and worked many times.

A question was asked about LEO and their perceptions, especially monitory enforcement of laws.
              I was pulled over once when I broke a light. No ticket. Once more I noticed a light problem and pulled over to twist the wires back. Again no ticket , no advise, just well it looks like you have it handled.

If the load was unstable or I was unstable or the car looked unstable I am sure we would get a ticket or an instructional warning. The Festy tows so well, so stable, with such good mileage..it makes my big chevy the questionable one to take.

Comment

~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Great car! The trailer is different, is it a boat trailer or ?. It looks shorter than an 8ft trailer and it looks longer than the 4ft trailer. It looks like it is standard 4ft deck width.

Comment

It's a 4x6 trailer, "tilt bed", from the late 80s - very similar to the HF trailers.
                    The hitch is a piece of 1/2" plate with a piece of angle welded to the rear and front of the bumper beam.

Scrap load:
                    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

You couldn't do that here in Michigan.Those bumper beams are always too rusted away to weld anything to.

Comment

Originally posted by rickbz28 View Post
                        You couldn't do that here in Michigan.Those bumper beams are always too rusted away to weld anything to.
                        Yup, that's why I opted to make mine mount to the tow/tie down hooks. Also ran a piece to the underside of the spare tire well for added leverage.

Comment

This thread has got me motivated. I'd like to start up a mowing business and I wondered if the festiva aspire was good enough fir a rider, looks like it is

Comment

A real Festiva has a hitch...

I haven't found any pictures of Trash Wagon towing all the crap we haul around. but the hitch is an old Curt that is period to the car and was made just for the Festiva. It ties in to the bumper as well as the tire well pressing. the trailer is a modified garden trailer Tom made to tow his Formula car with, behind his 1991 Miata! I borrow it to haul Miata racecars behind the Festiva.
                            LE has never bothered me about it, not even on Interstate runs, though I won't go over 65.
                            Sadly, Trash Wagon got totaled the other day, Carolyn is OK, and we are going to SF area after the holiday race weekend to pick up a couple of rust free ones. one is really nice, and the other runs but blows lots of oil smoke. both are priced appropriately.

2015-05-12_19-27-11_485.jpg
                            No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                              That thing looks custom sweet ! Your description of engineering leaves one to wonder but proof is it worked and worked many times.

A question was asked about LEO and their perceptions, especially monitory enforcement of laws.
                              I was pulled over once when I broke a light. No ticket. Once more I noticed a light problem and pulled over to twist the wires back. Again no ticket , no advise, just well it looks like you have it handled.

If the load was unstable or I was unstable or the car looked unstable I am sure we would get a ticket or an instructional warning. The Festy tows so well, so stable, with such good mileage..it makes my big chevy the questionable one to take.
                              Sorry for the bad description here's a picture.
                              Not a great picture it was dark

Comment

I hauled a honda CRX on the trailer through town..lots of looks but no cops. That looks like rust prevention ? I suppose bolts would last longer than welds in salt country. I wish there were other methods that would not rust out out toys.

Comment

Working...
                                X