Clear All

• Westiva X....

... will be held on Saturday July 14th, 2018

You won't want to miss this one:
    • it's the 10th anniversary edition
    • there will be prizes and trophies
    • you'll get to meet some awesome people
    • you'll see some awesome Festivas

I know, I know... it's really early but that gives you lots of time to plan your trip. I'm sure Ben or Jimmy can give you some hints and recommendations for long distance travel in a Festiva
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Westiva X

Watch this space for some important news coming in January regarding Westiva, the largest Festiva meet north of the 49th parallel!!

Ian
    Last edited by fastivaca; 12-03-2017, 10:56 PM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Westiva X

Here's the important news I mentioned in the previous post...

After much thought Sharon and I have decided that this year's edition of Westiva will be the last one we'll be hosting.

We hosted the first edition back in July of 2008 and have done so every year except one since. Over the course of time we have met many fellow Festiva fanatics and have made many friends as a result. Does this mean we're "getting out" of the Festiva scene... no. We have simply decided that it's the right time.

We will be working towards making this years edition of Westiva the biggest and best to date. It will be at the same venue with the same activities with perhaps a couple of other exciting things thrown in the mix. There is something special that we'll be looking at as an add on either the day before or the evening after the "official" get together. One thing that I thought would be cool is to have all four cars from the first Westiva back for this one. Alas that won't happen as only one of those cars is still around. Perhaps "leapin" can get it all fixed up and make the trip!!

Here's a shot that Scott took of my red Festiva and his aqua from Westiva 2010; one of my favorite all time Festiva photos:

So there you have it... if you've ever said "I should really try and make it to Westiva" this is the year. Scheduled date is Saturday July 14th, 2018. You've got lots of time to get that passport, arrange for time off etc. If you're concerned about driving this far talk to Ben and Jimmy... they made the trip up from Kentucky and Georgia last year.

What can you expect? I'm glad you asked...
      • a beautiful location
      • great ice cream
      • great friends
      • lots of Festivas
      • prizes
      • trophies
      • ... and perhaps a couple of surprises!

Watch this space for more updates!!!
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Where is this

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Comment

Westiva is held in Alberta's beautiful Kananaskis Country... Wedge Pond Day Use Area to be precise which is about an hour west of Calgary. You can read all about last year's event on my blog at www.econoboxcafe.com. There's also a link to photos in my signature.

More info will be coming in the next couple of weeks.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

So we will do our best to be there. We still hope to leave on our cross-Canada trip this summer, but I think if we leave 2 weeks earlier than we were planning we should be able to make it. But it is 8500km through B.C, Yukon and Alaska first. Coming back from Alaska we were going to head down to Dawson creek and cut across Alberta to Cold Lake to get into Saskatchewan. But instead we will head down to Westiva, then maybe convoy to Saskatchewan with Joe after if he was up for that.
            I have a ton of work to do in not much time to be ready to leave 2 weeks early and its a little hard to plan a trip with 2 kids and a festiva pulling a trailer 8500km through the rockies and Alaska down to making it to Wedge Pond at the right time but we will do our best!

I'm a little sad that this will be your last time hosting, you did a great job every year I have been! But it sounds like this upcoming meet is one not to miss!

This is roughly our planned trip to get to Westiva

So if anyone wants to see this rig there is a very good chance it will be at Westiva!

Last edited by ryanprins13; 02-07-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

February update

July may seem like a long way off but not if you're planning a cross country drive!!!

When: Saturday July 14th, 2018
              Where: Wedge Pond, Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada (about a one hour drive from Calgary's western city limits. Use "Wedge Pond Kananaskis, AB" when searching on Google maps.)
              What: Meet and greet at the pond in the morning. After our picnic lunch we'll take an afternoon cruise to grab an ice cream cone at Boulton Creek Store. This is 40km (25 mile) drive mostly along Highway 40.

Campgrounds in the area fill up fast so I would recommend making reservations. Reservations can be made 90 days in advance.

Mount Kidd (http://www.mountkiddrv.com/) is the closest, and nicest, but there are a couple of other options that aren't too far away.

These are only about a 30-40 minute drive at most from Wedge Pond.

As for hotels the closest are located in Kananaskis Village, not far from Wedge Pond. There's also the Stoney Nakoda Restort about 20 minutes away.

Lets see if we can make it back into double digits this year! Last time we did that was in 2010 when we had 10, six of them were white.

Prizes will be awarded for Fan Favorite, Furthest Travelled and Furthest From Home. 2017 winners were Joe (AverageJoe) Glasser for fan favorite, Ben (ThisVelologist) Rogers for furthest travelled and Jimmy (JawjaJim) Hawkins for furthest from home.

Speaking of distances... if you're thinking of coming here are some approximate one way travel distances:

Great Falls MT: 400 miles
              Spokane WA: 425 miles
              Portland OR: 775 miles
              San Sioux Falls SD: 1250 miles
              Denver CO: 1175 miles
              Fransisco CA: 1300 miles
              Los Angeles CA: 1600 miles
              Kansas City MO: 1600 miles
              Phoenix AZ: 1625 miles
              Louisville KY: 2000 miles
              Knoxville TN: 2200 miles
              Raleigh NC: 2475 miles
              Miami FL: 3025 miles

Edmonton AB: 400 km
              Vancouver BC: 950 km
              Saskatoon SK: 725 km
              Regina SK: 875 km
              Winnipeg MB: 1425 km
              Toronto ON: 3500 km
              Montreal QC: 3625 km

Watch this space for more info over the coming weeks.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Just posted up here on the blog. Mostly the same info as I've already shared here though....

Ian
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Less than three months to go. If you're thinking of camping in the area I believe that reservations can now be made. I would suggest doing so sooner than later as the sites tend to book up really fast!

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Westiva X is only ten weeks away!!! Working on at least one special "extra" to add to the Festivities... there will be trophies... there will be at least one prize... there will be a fun time!

I've created an event page on Facebook so let me know if you are even thinking of coming. So far I know of at least six people that will be there!

Looking forward to another great meet!

Ian
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Two months exactly to go! Getting excited. Still working on an "extra" or two for the meet. I will start a "who's coming" thread here to complement the Facebook one.

Are you coming????

Ian
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Here's another great event to enjoy while you're here for Westiva...

The Canadian Badlands Passion Play

Let me know what kind of activities you're interested in and I'll see what I can find for you. Here's a couple of Calgary's "must see" sites:

For animal lovers: Calgary Zoo
                        For architecture lovers: Peace Bridge, the Calgary Tower, the Bow
                        For history buffs: Heritage Park, Glenbow Museum, Fort Calgary

More info to come as the day draws closer!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Here's the link to the "who's coming" thread.... CLICK ME

Ian
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Just about six weeks to go!

I've got my own car running as well as it ever has. Starting to work on a couple of trophies as well. We've had confirmation from 5 or 6 people that they'll be there. There are some that I would consider "definite maybes" and quite a few that have expressed some interest in joining us. Sharon and I are looking forward to seeing returnees and meeting those that will be joining us for the first time.

Here's the link to the Facebook event page. Don't worry about signing up there if you've already done so here, we'll just combine the lists at our end.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Going through some past Westiva photos and came across this one from 2011. It's one of my favorites.... taken by my son Tyler on his way up the "Wedge".

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X