Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

short throw shifter done! LOTS of pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
    unless your doing track days or the car is a built track car, you dont "need" it, heck i even if its a full on racecar you dont "need it" but it can improve your track times and what not... it all depends on how much you want it... me, i wanted one in my car, so i built one...

but trust me, you NEED one, why? "because racecar"
    No, I mean with the diesel swap, I'll most likely switch to a cable shifter... which gives me basically infinitely adjustable throw.

*Probably won't need it.*

Comment

I might be down, what price are you thinking?
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
        the only down side to this mod that i have found is that its a little harder to shift in to 1st or R at a stop cause the amount of leverage you have is alot less cause the amount of movement has been reduced ALOT lol but as long as you dont have arthritis you will be fine lol... its not that bad once you get use to it...

how many people would want one built? i can finaly make some of these as i have a good welder now... if i can get a good order together ill make a few and sell them for a good price... let me know if you guys are interested...
        Thanks, but do you remember what center to center distance you used on the pivots?

Thanks,
        Jack Byrd,
        1991 Capri
        1988 Festiva LX, 240K
        1970 Chev C10
        1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

no idea on price... i know i couldnt match the price of the ebay shifters for the civics, but i wouldnt rip you guys off... but you know, i still gotta make it worth my time....

what do you guys think is a fair price for a shifter? it would drop right in to the factory spot and shorten the throw down ALOT!!! what i will most likly do if i built these things is drill a bunch of holes in the shaft every 1/2 inch so you can adjust the throw to what you want... i think it should range from about 6~8 inches down to about 1 inch if you want it that short lol... it will all depend on what hole you put the pivot bolt in...

i cant remember what the hole spacing was when i made it... it was back in 2009 lol...
          Last edited by sasquatch; 10-21-2012, 03:34 AM.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

If I were buying one, I'd be willing to pay maybe $60 plus shipping or $75 shipped for the shifter kit as a drop in installation.

Or all the fabricated pieces ready to assemble for maybe... $45 shipped?

Comment

How much extra play is in your shifter sasquatch? i like this idea but it seems like you would need some sort of bushing instead of metal on metal.

Comment

will it come with metal bushings to eliminate the plastic ones?

Comment

let me check with a machinist friend of mine and see how much it will cost to make the pivots with ball bearings... i have an idea that will work but i dont know how much it will cost to get the pieces made up for it... shame i dont have a machine shop at home

the plastic bushings do just fine and the metal on metal dose just fine too, no problems there so if these parts cost alot to make then my orignal design will have to do...
                  Last edited by sasquatch; 10-25-2012, 01:48 AM.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                  1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I know this add is old but did anything ever come of this
                    I just lost a race to a Honda cause when I shifted I ripped the shifter out of the floor and snapped the knob off the top
                    Would be willing to bay more then enough to get this in my car so that never happens again let me know
                    the heart beat of america stops here______________/\
                    \/\_____________FORD
                    FOREVER

Comment

That race would happen to have been in Mexico, would it?
                      Maybe it's just me, but I've never felt the need to apply so much force to the shifter as to cause it to shear the knob off. Maybe it's time to adjust your driving style to match the more delicate nature of a light weight car? :p
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I bought the car with I think it's a eBay short shifter and not in mexico it was the armdrops in picton ont all legal
                        And I was shifting hard to get that extra little bit to win not a big fan of losing
                        And I know that's apart of racing but anything I can do to make my car work better
                        the heart beat of america stops here______________/\
                        \/\_____________FORD
                        FOREVER

Comment

if people are interested in it, and I can find a stock car to template off of, I may do a small run of shifters.......? in the last few years I have been gathering tools and its now possible for me to build some stuff like this lol... before I was having to borrow a lot of tools to build stuff.... ive got some ideas on how to make it better, and my fab skills are much better now.

do me a favor, lets see how many people are interested and what a fair asking price is. keep in mind, im not china, I need to make it worth my while, I cant compete with the 10 buck ebay short shifter lol....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

If you can make a short shifter that's the same hight or a little taller, I know many people would be interested. The big complaint I've seen with the Honda mod is the shifter knob now sits too low and needs an extension so the hand drop isn't so dramatic.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The shifter in Pedro is shortened throw, but stock height inside. I think Charlie added 3/8" below to get that.
                              "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                              "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                              "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                              "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                              "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                              "Wenona"-89L parts car
                              "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

I've wondered about 1/2" or even 3/4" added to the stock shifter below the ball. I figure there is a point where the shorter throw decreases the leverage to the point it gets difficult to shift.

Jack Byrd
                                Jack Byrd,
                                1991 Capri
                                1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                                1970 Chev C10
                                1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

Working...
                                X