4WD festiva idea........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD festiva idea........

my idea after i read a bunch on everyone's thoughts about a 4wd festiva. well here is my idea. maybe this will work but i need more specs to make sure......but some of them math the festiva.

Subaru Justy

Production 1987–1994
    Body style: 3-door and 5-door hatchback
    Layout: Front engine FWD / 4WD
    Platform: J and K
    Engine: 1.0L/1.2L Subaru EF engine
    Transmission: 5-speed manual or CVT
    Wheelbase: 90 in
    Length: 145.5 in
    Width: 60.4 in
    Height: 53.7 in
    Curb weight: 1,950 lb

Ford/Mazda Festiva/121
    Production: 1986–1993
    Platform: Mazda DA platform
    Engine: 1.3L I4
    Transmission: 3-speed automatic
    4-speed manual
    5-speed manual
    Wheelbase: 1986-87: 90.4 in
    1988-1993: 90.2 in
    Length: 1986-87: 136.8 in
    1988-1993: 140.5 in
    Width: 63.2 in
    Height: 55.3 in
    Curb weight: 1598 lb
    Fuel capacity: 10.0 US gal

I had a 4WD Justy. Loved it. Only sold it because I had too many cars and was moving from Oregon to Virginia! It was basically a 4WD Festy in many ways.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

do you think the set up will work on the festiva?

Comment

You haven't actually said what you plan to do! Do you mean a Justy powertrain in a Festy? Of course it could be done, but it would be simpler to just buy a Justy and be happy with it; or stick a Festy motor in a 5-speed Justy. The Justy motors had a bad design issue with the chain-driven oil pump, buried deep in the motor. When the chain stretched, one of the crank bearings didn't get sufficient oil. And the auto trans, the ECVT, was a disaster. No one can repair them. So a Festy motor in a 5-speed Justy is what I would do. It will probably fit; replacing a 1.2 3-cylinder with a 1.3 4-cylinder. Of course you would need an adaptor plate between the Festy motor and Justy 5-speed.

Here is a link for a USA/Canada Justy forum: http://subarujusty.proboards.com/index.cgi
        Last edited by TominMO; 10-06-2010, 08:50 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

yep i am going to think if i can do this with out having to cut and weld. but it would be going to a 1.6 B6-ME. so that will be a heck of a swap lol. well too late but i already have a festiva bought i sold my justy a year ago. so ya i will have to do it to the festiva.
          Last edited by FestivaZoomZoom; 10-06-2010, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Apparently the Suzuki motors bolt to the Justy bellhousing, if you get a Justy I suggest trying to find a Swift GT motor?
            Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
            1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
            2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
            2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

ya i thought about that....the bad part is i would need to move an engine mount or make one. which i do not have any ways to do that i would have to pay out of pocket. most of the things i want to do will be out of pocket. but build the engine will be me and who every wants to help.

Comment

It is sometimes possible to build engine mouts that bolt up rather than weld. I did that for a BP in a Festiva once. Just a thought to save money, but of course make sure you build it stouter than it will need to be

Edit: Just reread your first post and realized that if you either don't, won't, or can't weld then why are you even thinking about how to mount a motor? Best to just buy a 4wd Justy then... or maybe a 323 GTX... rather than try to make a Festiva 4wd. If you aren't going to be doing your own welding, then a motor mount is the least of your costs/worries.
                Last edited by htchbck; 10-07-2010, 03:59 AM.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

What about bolting a Festy body to a Suzuki Samurai chassis? They are a lot more available than the Justys.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I found an article online where the guy put a Mini body on the Justy platfform and swapped in a turbocharged Swift motor. So it is doable!
                    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

the 1.2L justy engine is shorter than the festy engine... the engine bay isn't wide enough to slip one in and keep the trans where it needs to be. plus the trans is glass... the ECVTs are actually stronger than the 5 spds and then there are 4 different manual trans for them (2 FWD and 2 4WD). it'd be a real PITA to get a strong drivetrain in a justy, not to mention that they rust out worse than Metros.

if you want a 4WD festy, swap in a Rav4 drivetrain or late model CR-V with the K series engine.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

ya but i am only going to use the 4wd set up form the justy to festiva if it will bolt up. ya that would work if the transmission wouldn't be so big. reason for the 4wd set up is to do the rally racing. so i am now looking into to see if a 4wd set up is possible. if it isn't then i will keep it FWD.

Comment

I dont think it will "bolt up" as you put it. But with enough time, money, and knowledge you can make it work. I believe rocketman on the capri forums has build an awd capri.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

As for the crv I have seen some of the civics with that. It would be sweet to have a awd crx...

Comment

like i said, the justy trans is glass (very fragile) and has no common mounting points with the festy. you're better off with the toyota or honda trans as they'll hold more power and will fit with a few mods. plus they're moore common than justy and GTX trans put together.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X