No announcement yet.

4WD festiva idea........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It been mentioned before but you can find a 4wd trans from a protege from 90-91...grab the rear axle assembly and customize it. Or you can use a miata rear end...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    ---------------------------------------------------
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

none of which bolts in... if you can't weld, or can't afford to pay someone to do it, you probably should stick to fwd...
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
        none of which bolts in... if you can't weld, or can't afford to pay someone to do it, you probably should stick to fwd...
        Exactly!! if i were to make an awd festiva, i would use a complete GTX drivetrain, based on the same chassis as a festiva so the width would match, the rear sub-frame is relatively compact and should easily fit in the rear of the festiva, with custom mounting points of course

The only part i could see being difficult would be making clearance for the awd trans and the fuel tank not having a hump for the drive shaft, but a fuel cell would cure that

And yes i have been researching this idea for a while now even though i won't be following through with it for a few years at least

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

don't forget about the rear struts... they are quite different on the top.
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Ya, sorry buddy. But trying to use two completely different car manufacturers and expecting it to "bolt up" is just sophomoric! Not trying to be a dick here. But if you want to rally race, start with an AWD turbo platform.
            Regardless if the festy is your hearts desire to AWD and race. You have two options.....
            1. You have wheel barrows of money to pay someone to do it.
            2. You have crazy welding and fabbing skills and can do it yourself.

Either way. Best of luck!

Comment

I have been debating this as well, like all us dreamers, but If I do tackle this, I would go with honda, either the crv way, or the WAGOVAN way, since you can get AWD D16 trannies from the wagovan, I would definately try that first. Vitara single slammer build with AWD!, sign me up!!!

PS: My wife thinks I am crazy for this....

John
              93 Probe GT-Twincharged-11.992@115mph 10lbs
              -11.940@111.66mph 14lbs(Slipping clutch)
              123.7mph highest trap
              95 Probe GT-RWD-4.8LS-Turbo in process-10.240@135.3mph, Turboed, 3300 race weight

Comment

Here's a link to the Mini/Justy/Swift ......
                1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

hey guys Im new to this forum and I too have thought about building an awd festiva. I found a website www.osakajdmmotors.com that sells bpt 1.8L with 5spd awd trans for 1500. I was wondering if anyone has tried making a festiva awd yet? if so id love to see some pics. Im on a tight budget right now sinking most of my money into bills and my girlfriends truck but I figure sometime next year I'll try to start on swapping my festiva over little by little to awd. Id just like to have all the research done before I start jumping into tearing my car apart so there isnt any suprises along the way. I know there always is suprises along the way because Ive worked on cars ever since I was a kid. Anyone got any ideas on what I would need to modify on the festiva to get the rear in the car? Also with swapping in the bpt motor couldnt I just use mx3 brakes? Like I said I never did this to a festiva so Im new to what I can and cant do with these little rockets. I got my first one years ago and fell in love with the way I could take it any where and it just seemed it wanted to be a sports car but didnt have the heart for it . so now I want to give it the heart and balls it needs to prove that it might be small but its a car to be respected and not laughed at.

Comment

Key word tight budget....

Comment

After seeing the rear end under Bhazard's car (Im a capri guy) there's no way a GTX / Protege rearend will fit without some really serious fab work. If you're going to graft two different makes of car together, well, good luck, going to need some really serious fab work.

Prepare to have your car down for several months - it really doesn't work trying to do it 'little by little'

Be prepared to have a nearly unlimited budget.

Best thing you can do is to have an entire running/driving donor car to pull parts from. I did it the hard way collecting parts piece by piece, spent years collecting parts. Even still I didn't have all the correct parts.

EDIT: I also dont like any of the AWD transmissions that bolt to our engines, the BPT trans is supposed to be better but I still dont think it can be beat on. Certainly won't hold up to launch control like in my buddy's STi...

Here's a page I put up with some pictures, you can find my build thread on ClubProtege

Just to give you an idea of size, AWD rear xmember vs. FWD. The miata is almost twice as wide as the GTX xmember.

My $0.02, good luck to anyone attempting this
                      -Rocketman
                      Last edited by Rocketman; 10-10-2010, 10:47 PM.
                      1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                      High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                      Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                        After seeing the rear end under Bhazard's car (Im a capri guy) there's no way a GTX / Protege rearend will fit without some really serious fab work. If you're going to graft two different makes of car together, well, good luck, going to need some really serious fab work.

Prepare to have your car down for several months - it really doesn't work trying to do it 'little by little'

Be prepared to have a nearly unlimited budget.

Best thing you can do is to have an entire running/driving donor car to pull parts from. I did it the hard way collecting parts piece by piece, spent years collecting parts. Even still I didn't have all the correct parts.

EDIT: I also dont like any of the AWD transmissions that bolt to our engines, the BPT trans is supposed to be better but I still dont think it can be beat on. Certainly won't hold up to launch control like in my buddy's STi...

Here's a page I put up with some pictures, you can find my build thread on ClubProtege

Just to give you an idea of size, AWD rear xmember vs. FWD. The miata is almost twice as wide as the GTX xmember.

My $0.02, good luck to anyone attempting this
                        -Rocketman
                        Wanna sell that impulse or trade it for a festy?
                        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                          Hanging onto it for now sorry, its one of my turbo awd dream cars

Rocketchips!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                            Hanging onto it for now sorry, its one of my turbo awd dream cars
                            U aint liein. 1991 isuzu impulse rs turbo AWD. Super rare and run really good. I had a chance to buy 1 for 500 bucks and passed. was gonna swap the engine and drive train into my geo storm GSI. A direct swap.
                            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                              Blasphemy!
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

One on eBay right now with title issues : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VERY-...item4aa559777b

owner's a tool though, between his forum posts and calling it a "hot rod"

Rocketchips!

Comment

Working...
                                X