No announcement yet.

Strengthening the G-Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So don't go with the Yota box? It's far from the only option.

I have a MTX75 here from a Duratec V6 - one of these days I will get around to making an adapter plate for it. It's very similar in size to the G-series, has much stronger gears and way bigger bearings
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Loving the input from you guys! It's too bad there's no notes from the Protege guy as to how the tranny was doing, just that he sold it. He is putting out some serious power though. He also put a lot of money into that tranny. I would prefer to stick with Mazda, but man, I sure don't want to put serious money into something if I can't have faith in it. Those pictures after the plate mod scare me.

I'd really love to go with a mitsubishi tranny, but they sit 180 degrees from ours, at least from what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
        So don't go with the Yota box? It's far from the only option.

I have a MTX75 here from a Duratec V6 - one of these days I will get around to making an adapter plate for it. It's very similar in size to the G-series, has much stronger gears and way bigger bearings
        Yota is the only one I know of that anyone is making adapter plates for lol

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
        Loving the input from you guys! It's too bad there's no notes from the Protege guy as to how the tranny was doing, just that he sold it. He is putting out some serious power though. He also put a lot of money into that tranny. I would prefer to stick with Mazda, but man, I sure don't want to put serious money into something if I can't have faith in it.

Those pictures after the plate mod scare meI'd really love to go with a mitsubishi tranny, but they sit 180 degrees from ours, at least from what I've seen.
        Hes racing on road courses though so its taking allot of abuse. I think if your just drag racing the plate should be fine.
        From the build thread I posted earlier.
        thanks mate. Im still using a standard b6t gear box but with our plate mod on the case and a welded diff. I cant break one if i tried (tried several times) all i break is all 3 driveshafts at once on the start line. It does last for a minimum of 60 passes at 360 hp (80 passses at 300hp) with a 6500rpm launch with slicks. If you are after one i can help you out just let me know.
        Yeah 9s arnt that far away, im curious to see if this box can handle that but i guess time will tell.

bf with trans from a evo 5.
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...rivelined-Gtae

Not shure if there is a 2wd version of this or how much longer it is than a mazda one. But if your going to go through all this trouble you might as well make it awd.
        Last edited by shorestiva; 11-07-2011, 10:39 PM.
        Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Solid motor mounts and a better suspension setup that eliminates wheel hop will help alot also.

Way too many cars

Comment

Loving the input from you guys! It's too bad there's no notes from the Protege guy as to how the tranny was doing, just that he sold it. He is putting out some serious power though. He also put a lot of money into that tranny. I would prefer to stick with Mazda, but man, I sure don't want to put serious money into something if I can't have faith in it. Those pictures after the plate mod scare me.

I'd really love to go with a mitsubishi tranny, but they sit 180 degrees from ours, at least from what I've seen.

i got his trans right now, its curently in my b6t festiva, after we got rid of the torque steer the car just goes straight! alot better compared to stock capri xr2 trans and better then phantom grim. the car is going to go under the knife soon due to the body is starting to go and im burning oil, so i will rebuild and probably stick a stock kia trans in it with a mfactory diff and use my built trans for my bpt build. I think a kia trans with a mfactory diff should be plenty for our cars due to they are lighter then the protege's.

Comment

I dont mean to Hijack this thread jus a quickie plz Is it safe to assume that if my G series is Hydro.It therefore will be equiped with 3.55 gears? This is what I gather from the tranny stickies....Thanks
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

^^ Really?

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                  bf with trans from a evo 5.
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...rivelined-Gtae

Not shure if there is a 2wd version of this or how much longer it is than a mazda one. But if your going to go through all this trouble you might as well make it awd.
                  That is one sick car! Wow! If I were to go AWD with a tranny adapter plate, heck I'd go FE3 and make it fit.

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                  i got his trans right now, its curently in my b6t festiva, after we got rid of the torque steer the car just goes straight! alot better compared to stock capri xr2 trans and better then phantom grim. the car is going to go under the knife soon due to the body is starting to go and im burning oil, so i will rebuild and probably stick a stock kia trans in it with a mfactory diff and use my built trans for my bpt build. I think a kia trans with a mfactory diff should be plenty for our cars due to they are lighter then the protege's.
                  Dude, you're gonna have one sweet BPT ride.

So, the way to go is a Kia tranny with the plate mod then. I'm looking at this for the B6T car. I wanna build it capable of somewhere around 250 lb-ft, for future options.

Comment

Interesting, the XR2 is listed incorrectly. XR2 FD is 3.85

So, the way to go is a Kia tranny with the plate mod then. I'm looking at this for the B6T car. I wanna build it capable of somewhere around 250 lb-ft, for future options.
                    A regular G-Series w/ LSD should be able to hold 250 ft-lbs of tq no problem. ~275-300 is where I've seen they start to have serious issues

Rocketchips!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                      Basement, why would you cryo treat the case?

Do you know what cryo treating does and why?
                      From what I've read of it, it makes the metal more rigid but less flexible. I figure if its more rigid it won't crack under pressure.
                      1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                      Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                      daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                      A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
                        From what I've read of it, it makes the metal more rigid but less flexible. I figure if its more rigid it won't crack under pressure.
                        OK, you need spend a little more time in research.
                        Look specifically at what metals can be cryo treated and what the tranny case is made of.
                        Then find why cryo treatment works and what is altered on the molecular level when cyro treatment does work.
                        Likely you are not the only one here who doesn't know what cyro treatment does and why.
                        Help yourself and post up your findings here and help others understand as well.
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                          OK, you need spend a little more time in research.
                          Look specifically at what metals can be cryo treated and what the tranny case is made of.
                          Then find why cryo treatment works and what is altered on the molecular level when cyro treatment does work.
                          Likely you are not the only one here who doesn't know what cyro treatment does and why.
                          Help yourself and post up your findings here and help others understand as well.
                          I will agree here

I had at one time looked into casting heavier duty transmission cases in better alloy (thicker x-section, more ribs, etc). But the tooling costs would be pretty ridiculous (can't just mold the existing case, new part would be 2% too small) and the machining involved would be astronomical $$$

Plus, again that would only be a bandaid, it does not solve the thin gears or thin shafts

Rocketchips!

Comment

What I'm saying is the 91-92 are 4.10's & the 93-96 are 3.55's. I was under the assumttion that the later 93-96 all had Hydro clutch's.(Is this correct) And since I dont know what year my G series came from.Would it be safe to assume that its got 3.55's? Thats all-
                            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                              What I'm saying is the 91-92 are 4.10's & the 93-96 are 3.55's. I was under the assumttion that the later 93-96 all had Hydro clutch's.(Is this correct) And since I dont know what year my G series came from.Would it be safe to assume that its got 3.55's? Thats all-
                              I'm not sure if this list is correct, the Capri is listed incorrectly and AFAIK there was no 3.55 FDR

This page: http://www.protegefaq.net/transmission.html appears to be much more accurate and does not list *any* g-series with a 3.55 FDR

I could be wrong, can anyone clarify?

Rocketchips!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                                I'm not sure if this list is correct, the Capri is listed incorrectly and AFAIK there was no 3.55 FDR

This page: http://www.protegefaq.net/transmission.html appears to be much more accurate and does not list *any* g-series with a 3.55 FDR

I could be wrong, can anyone clarify?
                                IIRC your correct I don't remember ever hearing of a 3.55. I think there is only 3.85, 4.10, and a shorter one that was only in a v-6 trans. Sorry Im stuck in traffic so I can't do much searching to clarify.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Way too many cars

Comment

Working...
                                X