2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with flowmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with flowmaster

Here are some pics I took recently of my exhaust. It's made from 2.5"x 0.050" 304 stainless tubing and has two v-band clamps so that I can take it apart easily to put the track exhaust on.

In this pic you can see the center hanger I built, again out of .050 304.

I have almost 7k miles on the exhaust at this point. I've got a flowmaster 90 series ss muffler on it. I don't like how heavy the muffler is, but it sounds nice. My race exhaust will be made of 2.5"x0.050" mild steel, it wont have a cat or muffler and it will exit just before the passenger rear tire. I may build a resonator into the midpipe depending on what the track officials say.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Very nice work there. I love using v-bands they make assembly and alignment a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's slick, the V-Bands look like they make things so much easier. And damn, your car is clean!
      1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
      High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
      Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
        That's slick, the V-Bands look like they make things so much easier. And damn, your car is clean!
        Thanks, living in this dry climate helps a lot.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Damn... that is a super legit exhaust. You should get a cutout instead of having to change exhaust.
          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
            Damn... that is a super legit exhaust. You should get a cutout instead of having to change exhaust.
            The race exhaust will be more for weight savings than flow. I can save over 15 lbs, and ditch the cat. This exhaust comes off in less than 5 minutes, though it's a bit longer to get it back on, due to aligning things back up.

Comment

Did you bend the pipe or use prebent sections?
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                Did you bend the pipe or use prebent sections?
                pre bent 90s.

Comment

That is beautiful work. I am interested in doing a 304 stainless exhaust fro my wife's car. I would just build it to the stock size though because it is for rust problems, not performance. She only drives in town and often times short distances. Her 90 LX has 62K miles and needs its 4th mid-pipe. I have a new of the shelf mid pipe that I want to take somewhere to have it copied in 304ss. Any suggestions?
                  '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                  '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                  '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                  '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                  '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                  '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                  '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                    That is beautiful work. I am interested in doing a 304 stainless exhaust fro my wife's car. I would just build it to the stock size though because it is for rust problems, not performance. She only drives in town and often times short distances. Her 90 LX has 62K miles and needs its 4th mid-pipe. I have a new of the shelf mid pipe that I want to take somewhere to have it copied in 304ss. Any suggestions?
                    Try replacing the cat with a test pipe, and only use the cat when you go through emissions. The cat is causing moisture to build up and collect in your exhaust which rusts it out. The short distance drives don't build up enough heat to dry things out. When you remove your cat you will almost completely eliminate the exhaust moisture and you will build up a thin layer of carbon inside the exhaust to protect it. W have this same problem in Maine, where I grew up.
                    Proper stainless exhaust work can be quite pricey.

Comment

nice work charlie
                      Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

If you really want to save weight for racing make your race pipe out of aluminum. I bought some to do my car just haven't gotten around to it yet. Tomorrow we are making an aluminum cat back for my friends impreza. That car is so slow, it needs all the weigh savings it can get.

Comment

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
                          If you really want to save weight for racing make your race pipe out of aluminum. I bought some to do my car just haven't gotten around to it yet. Tomorrow we are making an aluminum cat back for my friends impreza. That car is so slow, it needs all the weigh savings it can get.

I could do that easily, since I have a ton of mandrel bent 6061 drops. Good call! I wonder how it will hold up. Look forward to my future posts on my aluminum exhaust.

Thanks to all for the kind words! I meant to get pics of this sooner, but this was the first time I've had the car on a lift.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-19-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Wouldnt the heat cause issues with the aluminum?
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost
                            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

No, as long as its post cat it's fine. The real issue with aluminum is internal corrosion, which isn't an issue if it's a race only exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                              X