No announcement yet.

2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with flowmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well..."post cat" and "race only" arent two things that go together.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^ that's for sure! I think if it works with a cat it will work without one though because EGT's are much lower after the cat has been removed, and the cat actually builds heat so theoretically the entire system will stay cooler without it. Either way, it's something I can try and I'll let everyone know how well it works. I've heard of this before, but have always been skeptical. Internal corrosion wont be a problem without a cat as well because there will be far less moisture in the exhaust. Glad I posted those pics, this input is great!
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        Well..."post cat" and "race only" arent two things that go together.
        I was being lazy with my thumb typing but as long as its post header or post dowpipe on a turbo car it will be ok. Although it would be a good idea to use 1/2" thick flanges to manage the heat. That's what we will be using tomorrow on the impreza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          ^ that's for sure! I think if it works with a cat it will work without one though because EGT's are much lower after the cat has been removed, and the cat actually builds heat so theoretically the entire system will stay cooler without it. Either way, it's something I can try and I'll let everyone know how well it works. I've heard of this before, but have always been skeptical. Internal corrosion wont be a problem without a cat as well because there will be far less moisture in the exhaust. Glad I posted those pics, this input is great!
          Its not the moisture that causes the corrosion, it's the hydrocarbons. I don't know how long it takes for the corrosion to become a problem. There is an Evo that runs an aluminum exhaust at the auto-x but I don't think it's street driven.

Comment

sweet exhaust, looks like mine, only 1/2 an inch smaller lol...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Super sick work i wanna take mine to an exhaust place and get 2.25 from down pipe all the way back no cat but I'm afraid id never get the quality of work that i see hear Excellent Job!
              93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
              RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
              RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                sweet exhaust, looks like mine, only 1/2 an inch smaller lol...
                With a BP and 3" exhaust your car must have a very deeeeeep tone, it's like the John Shaft of festivas. Lol

Originally posted by skimsucka View Post
                Super sick work i wanna take mine to an exhaust place and get 2.25 from down pipe all the way back no cat but I'm afraid id never get the quality of work that i see hear Excellent Job!
                Thanks! If you find a shop that has a mandrel bender than you can get an even better pipe made.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I made an aluminum cat back for my buddies impreza today. 2.5" from the cat to a magnaflow muffler at the very back of the car. It's way lighter than the stock exhaust, and sounds a heck of a lot better. I can't get pictures to upload at the moment, I'll give it another try later.

Comment

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
                    I made an aluminum cat back for my buddies impreza today. 2.5" from the cat to a magnaflow muffler at the very back of the car. It's way lighter than the stock exhaust, and sounds a heck of a lot better. I can't get pictures to upload at the moment, I'll give it another try later.

Nice! can't wait to see the pics. I'm pleased that you've convinced me to go that route. I just have to get about 3.5 ft of 2.5" 6061 straight tubing. I already have a bunch of bends. Did you use 16 gauge?

Comment

I think we used 14ga. We get a lot of our metal from a scrap yard for cheap. It just takes a little extra cleaning and prep but saves a ton of cash. My friend who owns the car milled the flanges himself also.

I'll try photobucket for pics since tapatalk isn't working

Last edited by rollertoaster; 11-20-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

its not that deep... i think its just the muffler im using... (or should i say lack of a muffler lol...)

this is my ford festiva after putting the turbo on it... it has a blown head gasket in the vid and is still on a base map... its got a mazda "BP" motor in it...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Its not the moisture that causes the corrosion, it's the hydrocarbons.
                          Lol! Hydrocarbons are unburned fuel particulates present in the exhaust due to incomplete combustion. The converter changes the hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and water vapor. If hydrocarbons are more corrosive to aluminum than water vapor we are all in trouble. Planes are made of aluminum and saturated with hydrocarbons. As is the fuel rail on my engine.
                          That aluminum exhaust came out great though. Nice beads!

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                          its not that deep... i think its just the muffler im using... (or should i say lack of a muffler lol...)

this is my ford festiva after putting the turbo on it... it has a blown head gasket in the vid and is still on a base map... its got a mazda "BP" motor in it...

We put v bands in the same location! Haha, nice!

Comment

Thanks for the comment. I'm hoping the corrosion issues are only hearsay, but time will tell. I plan on making one in 2" for my festiva (b3).

Comment

squach, what happened to your shifter support bar?
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^X2

Thanks for the comment. I'm hoping the corrosion issues are only hearsay, but time will tell. I plan on making one in 2" for my festiva (b3).

Give us a peak when you get it done. They also sell aluminum V-band flanges on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                                X