No announcement yet.

91 capri xr2 transmission and MFactory diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard that the odd person will have issues with the ring gear holes being too small for the bolts, from what i've read, you basically need the ring gear drilled out becuase its not cost effective for Mfactory to make the smaller bolt size for the few people that actually need them

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

pm shortstiva he put a mfactor in a xr2 box. I paid someone to do mine.....the lazy way

Comment

I bet it's the 4.11 vs 3.85:1 difference. Their bolts are for a 4.11:1 FDR ring gear...I bet.. anyway, I guess tomorrow I'll go see how much they want to ream out the holes on my ring gear. Hopefully it won't cost too much, they're pretty good on their prices anyway. If I had any sharp drill bits left I'd be tempted to do it myself.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

So sharpen them!!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

lol, they tend to chip and break when I use a grinder to sharpen them, we have a bit sharpener at work i've been meaning to take them in and do them all, just haven't had time with all the other stuff I've been doing. I'd rather not take a chance on them breaking off inside the ring gear lol, if I screw this up it'll be next to impossible to get another one.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
              By how much?
              Changed the batteries in my digi caliper, the inside diameter of the holes in the ring gear is about .406", and the outside diameter of the shoulder bolts is .446

ish, with less than .001" difference..

I figure it's .04" too big, so I'll go talk to the guys at Marietta Ignition and see what they think.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

went to 3 different machine shops and none of them have any bits that will drill into the ring gear.

I called the only R&D phone number listed for MFactory, and they gave me some garbage about how they are ONLY HONDUH R&D...blah blah.. I know what they're saying, but I don't care. I raised hell until they put me on the phone with the boss, and he took some measurements of his honda bolts and doubts anything he's got would fit my diff/ring gear. He instructed me to go to a fastener store and find the right bolt, so I'll try fastenal when I get a chance.

Pretty crappy when you can't get any help for a 800$ part IMO. I did the email thing yesterday and haven't got a response from the japanese side of the company that makes and sells the mazda/ford parts.

If I can get a drill bit for this, I can use the drill press at work and do it myself, I just need to figure out what size bit I'll need. I'd really like to get the RIGHT bolt for the job tho, and I won't be able to get to the fastenal store for 8 days because the next 7 days I'm working 5 am-5pm and they're probably closed now, by the time I get there from my house anyway.
                Last edited by Damkid; 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

O, I think I pissed the guy off, he was explaining that he doesn't mess with anything but hondas and said "I've done over 2,000 honda builds.." I was like "yea everybody and their dog has done a b16 swap"
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

^Power to this guy for fighting the Honduh conformists...
                    Owner of:
                    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                    In progress:
                    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                      "yea everybody and their dog has done a b16 swap"
                      Thats not true, I have a neighbor whose dog has yet to do a B16 swap. He does have an EF hatch sitting under a tarp in the backyard though, and a pile of motor parts in the garage, so I figure its gonna happen any day now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your build, unless they are already on here somewhere and I missed them. For someone who's been on here for 7 years I'm still horrible at navigating these forums lol.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Click the link in my sig, and then this is where I picked up after fa.com changed hosts.

Then this link is the thread I started here on ff.com, it doesn't have any pic of the earlier stuff I did last year when I got the car.

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

I've just been posting random stuff here and there I don't think any one thread has everything in it. Most of my posts are on fa.com.

Right now I'm trying to get this diff in the transmission and I talked to the machine shop today, they should have my block and new rod/main bearings and piston rings ready tomorrow, but I won't be able to pick it up until tuesday.
                        Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

My ex roomates llasa-ahpso (sp) did a b16 swap on a first gen Integra, but it was pretty hairy. :p
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            My ex roomates llasa-ahpso (sp) did a b16 swap on a first gen Integra, but it was pretty hairy. :p
                            Lhasa apso. Pretty close off the top of your head! My mom's got one of those. Give that dog her dog's number. She'll probably find a swapped Honda useful as a run-o'-the-mill grocery getter. Does that dog drive a stick?
                            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Bring your bolts to the machinists and have them turn or precision grind the .04 off the shoulder. That shouldn't affect the strength of the bolt.

The ring gear is hardened steel, you're probably going to break any bit you buy trying to drill it out. The holes are too big already and the bit's just going to want to hang up in it.

You could probably use a die grinder with a round grinding bit to open up the holes.. Since the ring gear centers on the diff with that shoulder, the bolt holes can have a little bit of play in them.
                              1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                              High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                              Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

I did take the bolts in with me and asked them about that too, they said it wouldn't be a good idea because it would heat them up and reduce their strength or something, none of them would touch those either.

If I can find a die grinder grind stone small enough to fit in the holes I probably will just do that, i just want to get it done and I don't care how it gets done, but I can't even pay someone else to do it.

I really hate having the case opened up, I need to get it back together as soon as I can so that's why I'm going crazy trying to get it done asap, whichever way it gets done first. I know if I leave it sitting out on the table for a week my boys are going to tear it up and scatter the pieces all over the house.
                                Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM.
                                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                                X