Dickmeyer Automotive Engineering Race Header B3/B6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    hey Matt, would using slightly heavier cage tubing net you a better price per foot? i suspect that you have a mandrel bender on site, could that also be an option (using straight stock)?
    i'm just thinking out loud here...
    I don't know a lot about the risky business of making 'inexpensive as possible" custom parts, and for a very select market, but I do suspect that Matt won't be happy to hear about this one. He already said that 1 3/8 pipe was not easy to come by and now you're asking for an upgrade. Guaranteed he already has a mandrel/bender and guaranteed he's already been there and done that.
    Money talks, and ......... walks.

Comment

bert, did you even read my post?

i asked if the slightly thicker cage tubing would be CHEAPER for him... how do emotions get involved with this? i understood his post perfectly clearly. i also know that MOST header pipe is 16ga (vert few use 14ga) and that since there are going to be relatively few orders for this particular product and he has access to a bender, using straight stock in a more industrial size MAY be able to allow him to keep his initial price point.

he never stated that 1-3/8 was hard to find, just that it's price increased and that it's not a commonly used size.

it's just an inquary and not an attack in ANY way.

slow your roll.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Steel prices are pretty volatile and fluctuate constantly with the economy and supply/demand. Just like gold and oil. They can go down as well, but still trend up as a general rule over the long term. When you're not marking up the price of a finished product for profit (like Matt), it doesn't give you any room to absorb price increases.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I appreciate the comments, but be assured, if there was a way to build this header cheaper, I would have already done it. Unfortunately, increasing the tubing wall thickness, would increase the price even more, as well as be unnecessary for the application. My products are designed for 3 things...fit, function & quality. This header design is a case of "done right the 1st time" & any deviation from the original design, particularly for the reason of cheaper manufacturing, would effect those 3 criteria. I personally would rather build nothing at all than to build inexpensive junk. Like I have said before, if someone walked in & had me build this header, it would cost over $550. So believe me, you are getting MORE than what you are paying for. In this particular instants, all I can do is adjust the price to you as adjusted to me & continue to provide a quality product. In the end it's all the same....pay less get less or pay more get more. Thanks.
          PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Matt, I am amazed you are even doing these for the Festiva. NO ONE else does or can.
            Absolutely wonderful work, and wonderful that you are bringing these products to "market" for us Festy fans!!!!!!!!

I have been watching everything you do and build. Just freakin' awesome!

I havent posted on your threads, as I am just watching what you bring here. (I see no need to post until I buy something)

I am however, VERY interested in the intakes you plan on building for the carby's, as I have one with the Weber 32/36 on a B6 planted in my car, and I do want an intake! The carbed intakes suck for sure! I have tuned and tuned, cannot get any top end out of the setup I have, and I can feel the intake falling on its face @ top end. When you get the intake built...I WILL BUY ONE!!!! He he he he he!

The header, I am also drooling over. $300 is a GREAT price...er..$340 that is! Still a good price!

The hook up for meeting the stock cat is intriging too, as I have just had a new system put on (1.75") and cored out cat.

Keep up the GREAT work and glad to have you here on FF.com.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

got mine early this week. though i havent been able to install it yet. it looks absolutely beautiful! well done sir.

full report once i get it installed
              Originally posted by scirocco*joe
              Project Car Theorem:
              If
              a) w = all time
              b) x = time spent at work
              c) y = the number of project cars you have
              d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

^ I'm jealous!
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

^^ pix or it didn't happen

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Hey im the first one with an aspire to acquire his header .
                    It should work well on the aspire since its has the different gearing compared to the festiva.
                    Will probably do good in the torque dept.
                    I got it last week with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
                    I already have a new catalytic converter, muffler, and secondary round muffler for the "resonator".
                    Going to try and have it installed by the end of the month.
                    Just wanted to say that this header is very well put together.

I was playing around with my longtube today and comparing it with the stock manifold and downpipe.
                    I decided to take my hair dryer and flow air through the individual pipes to see how well it worked.
                    so I started out with the header from matt and i put the hair dryer on each cylinder tube and felt how it came out of the collector.
                    Then i took an envelope and put it over all the other 3 cylinder pipes and with the hair dryer running through one of the tubes.
                    The scavenging effect it produced created negative pressure on the other 3 tubes and vaccuum held in place the envelope.
                    Which is the kind of results expected from a tuned header.

Then i went ahead and proceeded to do the same process with the stock manifold and downpipe to compare flows.
                    As i covered the other 3 cylinder tube holes with the envelope and started blowing the air into the one pipe still open.
                    The air going into the manifold was creating positive pressure to the other 3 openings and was actually blowing the envelope off of the manifold.
                    Even with the downpipe open through the whole process.

So its no wonder our cars have to work so hard to breathe.
                    Cant wait to have this all installed with a new 2" exhaust.
                    Last edited by rmoltis; 06-10-2013, 11:38 AM.
                    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• Awesome, let us know how it goes and performs!
                      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

• you should do the same with a Festy manifold as well, you may find a signifigant differance seeing that cyl 1 and 4 dont' oppose eachother with the festy unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                          Hey im the first one with an aspire to acquire his header .
                          It should work well on the aspire since its has the different gearing compared to the festiva.
                          Will probably do good in the torque dept.
                          I got it last week with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
                          I already have a new catalytic converter, muffler, and secondary round muffler for the "resonator".
                          Going to try and have it installed by the end of the month.
                          Just wanted to say that this header is very well put together.

I was playing around with my longtube today and comparing it with the stock manifold and downpipe.
                          I decided to take my hair dryer and flow air through the individual pipes to see how well it worked.
                          so I started out with the header from matt and i put the hair dryer on each cylinder tube and felt how it came out of the collector.
                          Then i took an envelope and put it over all the other 3 cylinder pipes and with the hair dryer running through one of the tubes.
                          The scavenging effect it produced created negative pressure on the other 3 tubes and vaccuum held in place the envelope.
                          Which is the kind of results expected from a tuned header.

Then i went ahead and proceeded to do the same process with the stock manifold and downpipe to compare flows.
                          As i covered the other 3 cylinder tube holes with the envelope and started blowing the air into the one pipe still open.
                          The air going into the manifold was creating positive pressure to the other 3 openings and was actually blowing the envelope off of the manifold.
                          Even with the downpipe open through the whole process.

So its no wonder our cars have to work so hard to breathe.
                          Cant wait to have this all installed with a new 2" exhaust.
                          The ol' header hair DRYNO testing
                          PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

• LOL.......Vortech Sassoon
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

• im just curious how many people have already ordered this header?
                              for $340 its a great deal.

wondering what kind of feedback people may have if they have installed one yet by itself?
                              ive talked to matt so i have a good idea on what to expect.
                              i would like to see what peoples butt dyno is telling them.
                              Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                                im just curious how many people have already ordered this header?
                                for $340 its a great deal.

wondering what kind of feedback people may have if they have installed one yet by itself?
                                ive talked to matt so i have a good idea on what to expect.
                                i would like to see what peoples butt dyno is telling them.
                                My plan is to get the header/cam/fpr/balanced injectors all at once and probably have them put in by DAE. I'm still waiting to get paid for my last 2 jobs before I can finalize the plans, but I can hardly wait
                                My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Working...
                                X