Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea: Ultimate carby intake for B series motors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold up...the slider carbs might not work...the butterfly stays open via the cable, but the slide opens with an vacuum draw from an opening intake valve(?) A common plenum would not allow the slides to open at all. Nuts!

Comments?

Constant Vacuum slide carb operation

Yeah, it would work. You might have to divide the plenum with a wall between cylinders 2 and 3.
    Last edited by BigElCat; 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM.
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

dont su's have a butterfly... ive heard that the su is a great carb

Comment

You sir are dangerous!! That could work, make them slightly uphill to the middle on the new plenum to further discourage puddling, dang
        that could be really nasty..dual carb bike cables..Sock foam filters..the music from under the hood would be awesome!!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
          You sir are dangerous!! That could work, make them slightly uphill to the middle on the new plenum to further discourage puddling, dang
          that could be really nasty..dual carb bike cables..Sock foam filters..the music from under the hood would be awesome!!
          Go back, I editted it.
          '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

001.jpg

Like this.

What size and type of carbs? I want the cheap ones, with a piston slide and butterfly.

Oh yeah, I need a B3 EFI intake too.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

I like the cable pull mukuni's no diaphragm to tune or slow things down.
              Round slide is cheaper, flat slide is a little more compact. no butterfly.

Last edited by Movin; 03-01-2013, 11:20 AM.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Idea: Ultimate carby intake for B series motors.

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]11746[/ATTACH]

Like this.

What size and type of carbs? I want the cheap ones, with a piston slide and butterfly.

Oh yeah, I need a B3 EFI intake too.
                The only other thing that you must take into account is that the b series inlet manifold has back fall before it enters the head. You will have some serious pooling if you run fuel through it.
                Only options IMO would be to cut it at the flange or use an early jdm manifold.

1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

They'd work even if hte manifold wasn't divided. They just work on vacuum, not some special magic. Divided or not, the same amount of vacuum [sort of] is present in all parts of a manifold.

If you wanted to use a bank of bike carbs, you could remove either plenum and just cut the flange off, take a round tube and swage it to fit the port cutout in the flange, and use a rubber coupler to attach the bank of carbs. You may even just be able to use the flange as an adapter plate and bolt OEM carb boots right to the flange using short machine screws or allen head socket caps.

Most bike carbs in the CV-style will fit behind the engine in the same config as they are on a bike [no manifold or runner extension], but youre gona take a serious hit to low-end torque.

Comment

You're taking us farther away from the goal...'Christ'. Thanks for the disinformation.

My dual carbs are the solution, but a double plenum is required due to harmonics of the pulses. firing order

A quad would be better, but they won't fit.
                    Last edited by BigElCat; 03-01-2013, 09:14 PM.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Four itb's on a BP.... check out this thread
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada
                      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

You're taking us farther away from the goal...'Christ'. Thanks for the disinformation.

My dual carbs are the solution, but a double plenum is required due to harmonics of the pulses. firing order

Dude, WTFishsticks are you talking about?
                        The link you posted even disagrees with what you just wrote.

Here, let's make it easy enough for a caveman.
                        CV carb, common plenum, dead simple, bolt-on.
                        Now, 2,000 words.

I would start by copying what this guy did, but imagine it flipped so the bend goes either toward the cam gear or the trans just to get it off the valve cover. Then just see how well it works. THEN, start getting fancy, IF you HAVE to. You could even leave the injectors installed to further simplify the testing phase.

Just try the simple way first.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Excellent pics of the Suzuki Samurai "MySide" conversion.

I may try this on my stock B3. The tube would have to be twice that long, though.

The multi-carb set ups we're discussing are something to get a hot B3...like the Dickmeyer...up over 130 whp.

What link disagrees? Stay calm, "Christ" can rep himself if he feels the need.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

I'm calm. Sorry if it came across any other way than goofing about. I thought it was obvious with the WTFishsticks thrown in there.
                            You're just over-thinking it. You don't "need" to worry about harmonics or what the intake valves are doing, and it'll work with a common plenum and 1 CV just fine. I would personally go with a CV rather than a user operated slide carb if I were to pick one. The CV will be more consistent and more accurate. With a cable slide carb, the operator can throw the A/F ratio all over the place at any RPM.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

First part of that post was because you mentioned using a divided intake, which isn't necessary even with a carb on both sides of a regular EFI intake manifold. The rest of it was just additional information you didn't need to include, but sorta fits.

I measured it out awhile ago - 4 bike carbs will fit between the engine and firewall, but it's really tight and you can't get much for a filter back there. No part of it was disinformation, it just wasn't as relevant to the post as you 'apparently' wanted it to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X