No announcement yet.

2001 kia rio manual transmission swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 kia rio manual transmission swap?

Just wondering if any one has tried the swap?
    if so what parts interchange?
    and how?
    2011-05-24_000312_1.jpg
    ;
    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
    '92 Festiva L M/T
    '93 Festiva GL A/T

I found these links
    Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Discuss making performance enhancements to the OEM-spec engine in your Festiva or Aspire.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Sub'd, I wanna know all about this

Thanks for the links Jerry
      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

I'm about to do this swap soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

make a write up with lots of pictures.
          ;
          www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
          rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
          '92 Festiva L M/T
          '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by RhodeStiva View Post
            make a write up with lots of pictures.
            I'm picking the transmission up this weekend. If time permits, I'll be installing it the weekend after.

Already have new Rio axles, flywheel, clutch and all the little pieces. Just waiting on the trans.

Comment

This is a very simple swap !! I bolted trans to the engine and place it all in the bay with all engine mounts on and put the bolt in the front engine mount and set the trans mounts on the crossmember and marked the holes . Drilled them and installed mount studs through the holes and put the nuts on ! Installed axles and that's it ! I did drop my complete crossmember about an inch with washers and longer (bell housing ) bolts . The clutch is an f series and the axles are g series ! It held up well to turbo duty ! The only thing I didn't care for was at 75 mph your running about 3500 rpm if I remember rit ! Feel free to pm me with any ? And yes it is a cable trans and speedo gear works fine !
              New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                This is a very simple swap !! I bolted trans to the engine and place it all in the bay with all engine mounts on and put the bolt in the front engine mount and set the trans mounts on the crossmember and marked the holes . Drilled them and installed mount studs through the holes and put the nuts on ! Installed axles and that's it ! I did drop my complete crossmember about an inch with washers and longer (bell housing ) bolts . The clutch is an f series and the axles are g series ! It held up well to turbo duty ! The only thing I didn't care for was at 75 mph your running about 3500 rpm if I remember rit ! Feel free to pm me with any ? And yes it is a cable trans and speedo gear works fine !
                Thank you shadetree. It's because of the info you provided that I'm going to do this. My original plan was for an F series trans.

The highway RPM issue almost made me say no. But after doing some research, I'm 99% sure that the 2002 trans (the one I'm getting) has a 3.90:1 final drive. This with some tall (175/65-14) tires, won't be much more than what I have now with the Aspire trans (3200@75 MPH).

About the cross member. Besides the holes, did you have to do any other mods?

Also, the bell housing bolts fit as is? How much lower can you drop the trans?

Comment

Not sure on the ratio of 2002 an up ? But you can drop as low as you want but anymore then 1.5 or 2 inch you will contact sway bar ! But that can also be corrected with zoom zoom poly bushing swap which I have to say Is a very good mod ! Feel free to text me with ? 5405507472
                  New build on the way .

Comment

You will have to cut the rear arch bracket off the crossmember to let the stock rio mount sit flat ! The rio trans also has option for elec rpm gauge !
                    I used all the rio bell bolts and used the factory festiva bell bolts to lower the crossmember !
                    I had no issue with hitting the steering rack and I used the front fms b6t mount that put me in the stock position !
                    There is another member that is still running this set up today !
                    New build on the way .

Comment

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to shadetree again."

heh...I tried
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

You will have to cut the rear arch bracket off the crossmember to let the stock rio mount sit flat ! The rio trans also has option for elec rpm gauge !
                        I used all the rio bell bolts and used the factory festiva bell bolts to lower the crossmember !
                        I had no issue with hitting the steering rack and I used the front fms b6t mount that put me in the stock position !
                        There is another member that is still running this set up today !
                        Shade I'm thinking this will be even easier with an Aspire X-member(I'm gonna put one in my spire) but what is this BPT FMS mount ? Can you plz post a pic (or anyone) just curios to see what this animal looks like. Thanks!
                        Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                        "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to shadetree again."

heh...I tried
                        Matt plz post a pic of your bushings that shade is talking about. Soooooooo sick of trashing E series input shaft bearings. I'm so done with this little scooter trannys :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead:
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

It's just the energy suspension bushing kit. It drops the sway bar a little, maybe an inch?

The 02 Rio transmission is most definitely without any doubt 4.105:1 FDR, I had one apart and counted teeth. It's been so long since I've driven a 5 speed with 410 gears I can't even remember what they feel like.
                          Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                            The 02 Rio transmission is most definitely without any doubt 4.105:1 FDR, I had one apart and counted teeth. It's been so long since I've driven a 5 speed with 410 gears I can't even remember what they feel like.
                            My transmission ended up being a 2001.

I forgot the starter and had to order one, so my install is on hold until next weekend.

Sent from my SPH-M930

Comment

I wonder if a 5 speed e f or g series starter would work? Been so long since I looked I can't even remember.
                              Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-23-2013, 12:43 PM.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                              X