No announcement yet.

Rocketman Carb Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to offer throttle brackets as well, if someone would like to give detailed measurements of theirs I will produce them & include them with the kit. Other than the cable bracket there's no fabrication needed for the install.

95Compact, your install is gorgeous, it's incredible how much that cleans up the engine bay. You stuck with the stock studs, and not the 4x bolts that came with the kit?
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Here's one from afar to show the air cleaner clearance:

White '88, 280kmi, Weber 32/36 DGEV Carb with Rocketman Carb Adapter

Comment

Yep, I didn't feel like trying to pull the studs, so I cut some aluminum tube I had sitting around.. Oh, and I painted your adapter with Rustoleum Hammer paint, lol =)

I'll give you dimensions for the stock B3 throttle bracket adapter once I get mine made.. the current one in the photos is just temporary =)
        Last edited by 95Compact; 08-23-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

A better solution than the throttle cable bracket adapter would be a new stamped steel cable bracket... I may just do that instead.

Comment

I would offer either have a cast one, or a stamped/welded steel bracket depending on it's shape. I noticed it was darker, I like the color! That looks like a healthy amount of hood clearance, too.
            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Ok, installed my Innovate LC-1 today.

At idle, it was running about 12.1 A/F ratio and this was easily tuned to 14.3 with the idle mixture screw. I was VERY impressed with how direct and repeatable this adjustment was in changing the idle AFR, and also how stable the AFR was (it held steady within about 0.1 or 0.2).

When the RPM ran up (with no load), the AFR went very rich - all the way to 10.1. It may be even richer than that because the Bosch WB O2 sennsor and LC-1 can only read down to 10 AFR.

I couldn't drive the car because my laptop battery was dead and I had to have the extension cord plugged in, hehe. Should be able to get more data tomorrow.

I can see that the air corrector jets are 170 and 180, but I can't see the main jets. Maybe I'll call Weber on Monday to ask what they currently ship the Suzuki Samurai kits with (and verify that they're still the same as drumnerd's).
              Last edited by 95Compact; 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Compact View Post

At idle, it was running about 12.1 A/F ratio and this was easily tuned to 14.3 with the idle mixture screw. I was VERY impressed with how direct and repeatable this adjustment was in changing the idle AFR, and also how stable the AFR was (it held steady within about 0.1 or 0.2).

When the RPM ran up (with no load), the AFR went very rich - all the way to 10.1. It may be even richer than that because the Bosch WB O2 sennsor and LC-1 can only read down to 10 AFR.

I couldn't drive the car because my laptop battery was dead and I had to have the extension cord plugged in, hehe. Should be able to get more data tomorrow.

I can see that the air corrector jets are 170 and 180, but I can't see the main jets. Maybe I'll call Weber on Monday to ask what they currently ship the Suzuki Samurai kits with (and verify that they're still the same as drumnerd's).
                Aha, the light is going on for me regarding wideband. You can use it to monitor the various stages of your Weber carb's performance, and adjust accordingly to keep it at ~14.3--either via turning a screw for idle adjustment, or jetting/emulsion tube changes for higher RPMs.

With our EFI systems, it seems there is less leeway to change things, unless we go to a stand-alone system like Megasquirt. It would be useful tho for monitoring what bolt-on changes have been made, like cams, headers, CAIs; and to monitor the AFR changes when changing ignition or cam timing.

I wonder how far you can safely lean the AFR to improve MPGs? 12, 13?
                Last edited by TominMO; 08-24-2013, 11:11 PM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Tom, you're right, its a great tool for monitoring the engine, above and beyond the trained ear...

I have the wideband system because I use it (continuously) in my other car, a 1995 BMW 318ti which I 'converted' to Megasquirt EFI for a custom turbo install.

"I wonder how far you can safely lean the AFR to improve MPGs? 12, 13? " - You have it backwards, 12 A/F is rich, remember it's the 'AIR' part of the ratio we're describing

14 parts air to 1 part fuel is "14:1" or "14 A/F ratio" or "14 AFR". More air in the ratio means leaner mixture.

In the BMW, I have a highway cruise fuel map which runs between 14.7 and 15.2 AFR. It nets me about 10% better MPG over the stock EFI computer.

Cheers

Comment

Direct injection would be the only way to get reallllly lean for those coast moments, , 50 or more. Basically enough fuel to discourage engine component drag when coasting, as DI has no intake vacuum, it's open throat, like a diesel.

But you'd have to have all the other goodies to make it be fully customizable and tunable. Full tune of spark and spark advance, variable valve timing for some control over intake duration, etc etc

Opens many new ideas.... Double injecting, another shot of fuel while first squirting is almost fully burned, do it again before down stroke finishes and fire the plug again...

DI is gonna be fun when it gets more mature and cheaper.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                    Last edited by jason_; 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Compact View Post

I'm hoping it'll be a lot closer on my modified B6. Will let you know.
                      Jack Byrd,
                      1991 Capri
                      1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                      1970 Chev C10
                      1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

OK, thanks 95Compact.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Well, after driving around a bit it looks like the cruising AFR is about 10.2 to 10.5 and the full throttle AFR is about 11.3 to 11.5

I'm hoping with a little experimentation and the WB 02 sensor, we can find a set of jets that we can all just drop in and be very close to best running.

Again, the car runs and drives wonderfully, but obviously these care are driven mostly for their economy =)

Comment

Well, no wonder the B3 is running rich - the jets that came with the K601 Weber kit for the Suzuki Samurai are:

Main Primary: 140
                            Main Secondary: 140
                            Air Corrector Primary: 170
                            Air Corrector Secondary: 160

These seem to be appropriate for about a 2.2L engine if I've understood what I've read correctly...

Any idea why they are supplying these jets with a kit for a 1.3l Suzuki?

Comment

drumnerd, how did you arrive at your 100-size (1.00mm) jets?

Did you use an O2 sensor or was it all trial and error?

Comment

Wide band o2 sensor... Started with a short band and it was pointless not accurate at all.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Working...
                                X