No announcement yet.

DAE Max MPG CAMSHAFT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you explain what kind of torque curve this is made for? Flatter? Low rev biased? I know you said the customer reported no loss in power, but how high is he/she revving it?

I'm not trying to be a pain. Just want to know whether to go with this one or one of your performance grinds. For instance, I want to do a backyard ECOboost type thing. So, I'm looking at MILD porting, eventually flat top pistons, and a small turbo. Would you recommend this cam or a mild one of your boost cams?
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Our MPG cam has a retarded ivo & ivc and advanced evo & evc (as well as subtle other changes) which reduces overlap & increases engine vacuum.This will have a positve affect on drivability. Cam is profiled similar to a turbo cam, but really intended for someone not concerned with power but really looking for over 60mpg.
      PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

You are very creative, Matt!!!!! :thumbs_up:
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I think the cam is misnamed! It is an offroad cam!
          At what event do you want us to adjust to on the card, .050 ivo ?
          Do you list the ivo at tdc ?
          Do you want us to add say 4 deg to counter belt stretch?

Do we provide our own adjustment or do you have an adjustable sprocket
          to go with the cam?

Sorry about the kid in the candy store questions lol !
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
            I think the cam is misnamed! It is an offroad cam!
            At what event do you want us to adjust to on the card, .050 ivo ?
            Do you list the ivo at tdc ?
            Do you want us to add say 4 deg to counter belt stretch?

Do we provide our own adjustment or do you have an adjustable sprocket
            to go with the cam?

Sorry about the kid in the candy store questions lol !
            You are mistaken. This cam by no means an offroad profile, but quite the opposite. The cam profile is designed specifically to improve economy & overall drivability. The reduction in overlap will also reduce emissions. Think of as if Mazda had the time to develop the perfect cam profile & test it, this is the cam they would have built. The cam is by no means, intended to be a performance cam or necessarily improve HP or torque. The idea was to come up with a cam that would greatly improve mpg without reducing performance. This cam is a direct replacement for an OE cam, no degreeing, adjustable cam sprockets or anything along this line is necessary. Just remove your cam & install this one, reinstall your cam sprocket, line up the timing marks & that's it. The later intake opening/closing events are also known to improve mid & topend HP while proving a flat torque curve that doesn't fall off as RPM rises.

Comment

This is real specialty stuff you're getting into. If squeaking another 5 mpg is achievable without serious loss of power then you really are on to something IMO. Is this a 'new' cam or do you regrind old ones? The only reason I ask (as a complete novice in this) is that taking material off is about all you can do with already-existing cams. Or is that the case?

Comment

All of my cams for these engines are regrinds, as there is no other option. I looked into custom billets, but I figured a $600 camshaft would be out of the question. In our performance cams a regrind is actually necessary because sticking with the OE base circle of 1.221 will only allow maximum lift of just under .450. Any more than that, the nose of the cam would be taller than the bearing journal. Making the cam impossible to install into the head. Most of our performance cams, valve lift is over .480 & sometimes over .500. This requires reducing the base circle to make nose height below journal to allow installation of cam.

Comment

I know this will be a bit off topic, but if your cam regrind price is $180 (which is very reasonable BTW) for a B3..... If someone was looking for BP/B6T cam regrinds, would your price be $360 since there are 2 cams to grind?

Next year I may look to build up the BP in my protege is why I'm asking lol
                  Last edited by Damkid; 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I could come in a little under $360 . but those cams are more work because o.e base circle must be maintained with valve buckets. Cam lobes get welded and ground
                    Last edited by mattdickmeyer; 06-18-2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I'm going to order this done soon ^

I could be around 70mpg! banana time

Edit: Would you need my shaft or could I send the core after receiving yours?
                      Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM.
                      My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

how do you think that cam would do in an auto?
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Another great creation by matt! I love my stage 3 cam he made me... my car idles like a muscle car,lol

Comment

My off roading is not racing..but I need all the torque I can get off idle. Not concerned about anything beyond 4000 rpm. The reason I use the festy is the fuel economy out in the mountains or desert. In this sense for me and my offroading am I better off with my stock cam?
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Why don't you have matt grind you a custom cam that creates more torque than anything else.

His header is tuned for peak 4000 rpm then it tapers off after that imagine that with a custom grind cam to enhance the torque from idle to 4000 you might have a little beast.
                              Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                                how do you think that cam would do in an auto?
                                My question exactly..

If I can average 35ish being rough on it, does that mean I could - in theory - have a 40+ MPG auto without driving like I'm 85?

o_O. I'd so be down for one..

-Joe

EDIT: Assuming gas is $4/gal, and I'm getting 34 average, 11 cents per mile.. 41MPG average would be about 2 cents/mile less. 9,000 miles would pay for the cam. Mmm..
                                Last edited by Spike; 06-19-2013, 02:38 PM.
                                White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                                White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                                1988 LX 5-speed
                                ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Working...
                                X