No announcement yet.

DAE Max MPG CAMSHAFT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would imagine you would want/need an adjustable FPR to get the MAX benefit of the cam profile, since Matt said it would allow for a leaner AFR. Sounds like he basically widened the LSA angle to reap the benefits. I would guess it may be a little on the "pudgy" side with an auto trans, and maybe a better fit for a 5-speed......but we'll see what he says!
    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I really don't know what kind of market there might be for such a cam especially since most forum members start off with these gas misers and then gradually devote all their time towards swapping in "big blocks", or aspiring to some other version of more power. I personally don't have any power or fuel economy complaints about B3 Festys (only because I drove severely under-powered Austin 850 Minis for quite awhile 40 years ago). A $180 carefully designed specialty cam regrind is going to be a bargain no matter how you look at (even if it does ultimately save on fuel!) but shipping and handling and import duties etc is going to impact on all this. And Festy owners (from what I've experienced and seen over the past 3 years) by and large are so GD cheap they squeak when they walk.
      Matt, I have a lo-mile roller rocker B3 on the go (for assembly and install) at the moment and if some proof of your R&D and manufacture bears fruit I will be happy to order one of these if only to support your ongoing efforts to make our road-faring go-karts show even better than OEM fuel economy numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        I really don't know what kind of market there might be for such a cam especially since most forum members start off with these gas misers and then gradually devote all their time towards swapping in "big blocks", or aspiring to some other version of more power. I personally don't have any power or fuel economy complaints about B3 Festys (only because I drove severely under-powered Austin 850 Minis for quite awhile 40 years ago). A $180 carefully designed specialty cam regrind is going to be a bargain no matter how you look at (even if it does ultimately save on fuel!) but shipping and handling and import duties etc is going to impact on all this. And Festy owners (from what I've experienced and seen over the past 3 years) by and large are so GD cheap they squeak when they walk.
        Matt, I have a lo-mile roller rocker B3 on the go (for assembly and install) at the moment and if some proof of your R&D and manufacture bears fruit I will be happy to order one of these if only to support your ongoing efforts to make our road-faring go-karts show even better than OEM fuel economy numbers.
        I'll be getting mine in July hopefully and doing rigorous before and after tests ^
        Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-19-2013, 06:06 PM.
        My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

I will answer your questions shortly, have a ton going on at the moment.
          Last edited by mattdickmeyer; 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM.
          PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
            I'll be getting mine in July hopefully and doing rigorous before and after tests ^
            Since you have elected to be the Guinea Pig on this and are keeping meticulous records please keep us (and much more so Matt) informed. It would be a 'poke in the eye' of regulators if someone (ie FordFestiva.com) could prove that old tech can readily (and much cheaper) compete with high tech in achieving good gas mileage.

Comment

It would be a 'poke in the eye' of regulators if someone (ie FordFestiva.com) could prove that old tech can readily (and much cheaper) compete with high tech in achieving good gas mileage.
              If we can prove that, then the question becomes: Why is there a high-tech solution at all? Answer: more complexity = more maintenance = more profit.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                If we can prove that, then the question becomes: Why is there a high-tech solution at all? Answer: more complexity = more maintenance = more profit.
                Truth be known I too wonder when all this sophistication and complexity is going to level off if only for the sake of economics. Does everyone out there blindly endure needlessly expensive repairs and planned obsolescence? We can only hope that one day the sheeple will revolt.

Comment

^The system relies on the sheeple not revolting and supporting it, and the sheeple rely on the system. Sucks, but the reality is the only reason a higher class of people exist is because of the class under them. Start pulling out legs, and the table gets mighty short.

Just another method of bleeding it off the people and back into the system.
                  Last edited by sketchman; 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

With this cam there are no guinea pigs, no guessing, no experimenting , customer ordered cam, I built it and it worked as designed ... period , been doing the this for over 20 years.
                    PROPOGATE! AND FACILITATE!

Comment

Any plans for a B8 regrind for increased NA power? Just let me know what you would need from me!
                      Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

^ Matt can build anything you need. it'd be best to call him to express what you have in mind and what your requirements are so that he can formulate a plan specificaly for you and your goals.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Since you have elected to be the Guinea Pig on this and are keeping meticulous records please keep us (and much more so Matt) informed. It would be a 'poke in the eye' of regulators if someone (ie FordFestiva.com) could prove that old tech can readily (and much cheaper) compete with high tech in achieving good gas mileage.
                          I think they must already be well aware of these things. It is and always has been about money and lining the pockets of corrupt politicians.
                          My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Hey matt I'm curious.
                            If someone wanted to do a full economy build through you

And say got this cam grind and fpr and balanced injectors to start.

The header you offer is a lil more for power.

Would you be able to offer that person a longtube setup to help match the cam
                            (We already know you can do anything for a price)
                            Let's say for example the freeway is the highest speed they travel 60mph
                            Since more than that really starts declining mpgs with air resistance.
                            Would a differently tuned header help enhance this cam grind.

My car at 60 is at 2636 rpms.
                            So a tuned header say peak torque at 2600
                            With the mpg cam
                            And fpr
                            And balanced injectors.
                            Along with the high compression piston kit.

Would this make for an ultimate mpg car?
                            I'm just asking what some people are thinking.
                            I'm not trying to get you to make a new kit or anything
                            but rather how much it would help enhance mpgs.
                            Compared to a power build.

How many mpgs do you think you could get
                            out of a full economy build for a customer?
                            Last edited by rmoltis; 06-27-2013, 08:05 PM.
                            Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

^ i'm thinking a different intake would also be part of the equation and you'd want to get away from the batch fired injector control and make it sequential as well.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yes.
                                I'm sure there are more variables.
                                Intake would also be part of it.
                                I'm curious what kind of mpgs he could squeeze out of one of these if that was the customers ultimate goal.
                                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Working...
                                X