No announcement yet.

Twin charged bp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I not the only one here with a mk6 TDI?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

• Diesel particulate filter. No. Not the 2 cats downstream from that.

It didn't have wheel spin in 3rd under full throttle. If it didn't increase torque or horsepower, must of increased braking power.

I stand corrected. Sorry to hijack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
        $4k filter? Do you mean the catalytic converter?
        Pretty much I think. From the sound of it ( he used the term DPF) I assume he has a TDI and they call the cat a DPF. It works in a similar fashion to a cat but they are usually much more expensive than a cat.

*edit* dammit he beat me to it.
        Last edited by gergorian; 01-17-2015, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Oh, well this isn't on topic at all. We are talking twin charged gas engines, not TDI. I'm glad your oil burner is happy once again, but unless you have a 1.4l tsi, your in the wrong forum and thread. VWvortex wants you back. Lol
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by jason_ View Post
            Sorry to jump into this and off topic.

Originally posted by jason_ View Post

I stand corrected. Sorry to hijack.

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Oh, well this isn't on topic at all.
            I appreciate the correction of being off topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by jason_ View Post
              I appreciate the correction of being off topic.
              No worries. I wandered over here from the vortex too, and never left.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• I gotta correct.... Dpf and cat are separate things. Tdi's and probably most other diesels have both.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

• Although, I did find this nice diesel turbo with a vband exhaust outlet. I wish more turbos had those.
                  Last edited by bhearts; 01-18-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• now charlie, i must also admit to you, that this guy with the shelby is super in to road racing like you are. hes a die hard racer from back in the day and even had a couple run ins on the track with carroll shelby himself. he told me that one race, his flywheel exploded and landed on the hood of carrolls car. i think my super festiva end project has to have a combination of drag capability and road race capability. they arent terribly different in theirself, set car up for road course, drag race on occasion.

Comment

• Luckily, getting it to hook up will help you in both areas. Also, with the right driving style and enough sticky rubber, your mustang friend won't stand a chance on the road coarse. You're going to want to make a custom set of front fenders though. Larger diameter and wider front wheels are going to be needed much more than sequential turbos or screwchargers. Making the HP is wayyyy easier than putting it to the ground. Your weight makes putting power down harder, because inertia is using your weight to pull the good weight off the driving wheels during acceleration. This is detrimental on a road coarse because you need driving traction out of the corners. Driving traction pulling the car the direction you want to go is what makes FWD faster than anything on the track. Weight rearward of the front axle is what spoils this traction you need so badly. You will be focusing on keeping the weight where you need it and this is very demanding on tires. The rubber that fits under the stock front fenders will not be happy with you.

With Max (fordfester) and I in the car (about 360lbs total in humans and 160ftlbs of tq at the wheels back then) around INDE motorsport ranch, we corded these Toyo r888's quickly. The car still devoured mustangs left and right (literally) but the tire bill for the weekend was well over 1000 dollars.

You're going to want to put some time and thought into your suspension and you're going to need to do the front lower radiator support mod. Making big numbers on the rollers does not equate to faster passes and lower lap times unless you have the correct kind of TQ and the chassis to support it. Luckily, there is little to do to a Festiva to allow it to put down lots of TQ. But… the TQ has to come on smooth over a wide RPM range, ending at a very high RPM. This is why I have stayed away from the BP. Making big high RPM TQ numbers with a BP usually means spending more time with your gearbox apart, and bits of 3rd gear or and differential clogging up your parts washing tub. The BP is a violent beast and it's not only the TQ that shatters gears and oil pumps, it's the harmonics that the engine produces under heavy load at higher RPM. It will rattle it's own pistons to shreds if you let it. I've seen enough with the Miatas to stay away from this engine unless I can destroke it a bit to calm it's groovy rhythms. Destroked, it would be perfect because it's built like a brick crap house with a main cap girdle and forged internals from the factory. The 99-00 head is a dream come true and OBX even makes a nice set of ITB's for it. Really, all the bits and pieces are there to make a monster, but it's stroke is to long for a high rpm beast without hurting parts. I always got a kick out of people who insist on lightened flywheels, and then have to run heavier gearsets because of it. There is good reason that flywheels weigh what they do.

The Pony may be the Boss, but the Festiva is the CEO. haha

Comment

• Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                        looking at the control valve under the supercharger in the pic: if you were to get an external wastegate actuator and make it operate a throttle body you could fine tune when the turbo overrides the s/c. it would be simple and cheap.

i think its too much work for whats gained but id like to see it happen,
                        I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          Making the HP is wayyyy easier than putting it to the ground

aint that the truth. its no fun just bouncing off rev limiter when youre trying to accelerate.
                          I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                            aint that the truth. its no fun just bouncing off rev limiter when youre trying to accelerate.
                            I'd like to design a circuit to limit boost based on current gear, but I realize that a more realist goal is to limit based on tire speed. Like a boost bleed to the wastegate actuator. Above a certain pre determined threshold you'd get the most bleed off possible. And at low speeds it could be just the base spring of the wastegate actuator

Comment

• It's easier to just use ignition soft cut based traction control. I think MS3 will support that and late model aspire or kia rio spindles are set up for wheel speed sensors.

Comment

• Why not bringing in some new technology to old engines? Ok, itīs experimental area, but some guys over here running Garrett GT25 VNT Diesel or Porsche 911 petrol VNT turbochargers on Renault R5 GT Turbo cars with great sucess.

They are designed for 850 - 900 °C, but there is always a safety margin built-in. I can only imagine how a B6T or BP (aftermarket rods) with some good cam and fuel-tuning pulls on the bottom end with good top end power. You need to control it via vacuum and / or with electronics, but I donīt see a big problem in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzDihmGvaU
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Uhuzit; 01-20-2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X