No announcement yet.

Twin charged bp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think itd be an awesome experiment to get this twin charged setup installed. and have the boost controller on the supercharger bypass controller. id love to do like 5 dyno pulls for torque graphs, and have the supercharger put out boost in 3psi intervals. so like one pull from 3psi, next from 6, 9, 12, and 15 if it can go up that high. just to where the turbo spools at different rpms based on supercharger boost. im also thinking about differnt ways to work a wastegate on the turbo so that it puts out different boost levels based on mph at the tires. and give an in dash control for "boost gain" potentiometer.

Comment

• 15 psi at the lowest speed, ramping up to 25 at the set mph.
      . thatd be amazing.

Comment

• You can do that with some engine management systems. Depending on the design of your wastage, you can control both sides of the wastegate actuator with a dual 3 way control solenoids. This allows you to run a really light spring in the wastage and (since the vent side is now under boost) it won't leak. It worked well with the 60mm HKS wastage's and the 50mm Tials.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• What is the advantage of that over utilizing the integrated bypass that already has all these features built-in including ports on both sides of the diaphragm? It really, REALLY seems to me like it just adds a ton of expense and piping complication for the benefit of *possibly* having very slightly more precise boost control due to the bigger diameter gate (although flow improvement even really comes into question since you're talking a throttle-body style design bypass vs a valve and seat wastegate).

I know from experiece that a very small leak is plenty to prevent a supercharger from building boost, so I can't imagine that the integrated bypass is undersized at all for the job of boost control, particularly considering he will be significantly underdriving the supercharger compared to its normal application. So other than bling factor, is there a real reason to add an external gate?

Comment

• Originally posted by bhearts View Post
            15 psi at the lowest speed, ramping up to 25 at the set mph.
            . thatd be amazing.
            You could potentially rig this up by setting up wheel speed sensors and other ABS electronics and letting a factory 3800SC computer control boost based on traction like they have the capability of doing from the factory. Or you could do it with aftermarket electronic boost controllers, or an rpm window switch and dual boost controllers, or any number of other solutions.

Comment

• or, just dont run too much boost so that you have the option for tire spinning.

Comment

• You should buy one of these:

Comment

• Originally posted by ZephTheChef View Post
                  You should buy one of these:

Wow, looks like syrup

Comment

• Yeah, it's on there THICK, lol. It will probably crack pretty easy, but it pretty much smoothed out all my grinding. We should do yours in that orange you got.

Comment

• Been looking at Honda and miata headers trying to think of what would be easiest to adapt. Honda offers alot of beautiful options on eBay for decent prices.

Comment

• Pretty much can't have a serious rear turbo build without a header.

Comment

What is the advantage of that over utilizing the integrated bypass that already has all these features built-in including ports on both sides of the diaphragm? It really, REALLY seems to me like it just adds a ton of expense and piping complication for the benefit of *possibly* having very slightly more precise boost control due to the bigger diameter gate (although flow improvement even really comes into question since you're talking a throttle-body style design bypass vs a valve and seat wastegate).

I know from experiece that a very small leak is plenty to prevent a supercharger from building boost, so I can't imagine that the integrated bypass is undersized at all for the job of boost control, particularly considering he will be significantly underdriving the supercharger compared to its normal application. So other than bling factor, is there a real reason to add an external gate?
                          What expensive plumbing? 1/8" evap hose is like 1.50 a foot at Napa. Lol. You can do this with an internally gated turbo. My b6t had signal ports on both sides of the actuator after I welded a nipple over the bleed hole. Easy peasy.
                          Using the Westgate will reduce heat in the combustion chambers as well, which is a huge benefit on an engine that's being pushed hard. Using the bypass on the charger will work if the charger is blowing into the turbo, if you bleed air to control boost produced by the turbo under load, you risk overspinning the turbo. Anyone who has blown a diverter valve and continued to push the car, and then taken out the turbo shortly after can vouch for this.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-30-2015, 01:14 PM.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

You should buy one of these:
                            Fixed it for ya. :p

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                              What expensive plumbing? 1/8" evap hose is like 1.50 a foot at Napa. Lol. You can do this with an internally gated turbo. My b6t had signal ports on both sides of the actuator after I welded a nipple over the bleed hole. Easy peasy.
                              Using the Westgate will reduce heat in the combustion chambers as well, which is a huge benefit on an engine that's being pushed hard. Using the bypass on the charger will work if the charger is blowing into the turbo, if you bleed air to control boost produced by the turbo under load, you risk overspinning the turbo. Anyone who has blown a diverter valve and continued to push the car, and then taken out the turbo shortly after can vouch for this.
                              I was referring to using an external wastegate and extra plumbing after the supercharger to effectively bypass it as opposed to using the integrated bypass valve.

You don't risk overspinning the turbo by using the supercharger bypass to shut off the supercharger at higher rpms, the turbo still sees the exact same flow and pressure either way, the bypass just allows air to leak from the supercharger outlet back into the supercharger inlet, nothing is vented to atmosphere, the turbo doesn't know the difference either way. I am all for using an internal wastegate for controlling turbo boost, what I am not for is adding external gates when the supplied equipment will do just fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                                Been looking at Honda and miata headers trying to think of what would be easiest to adapt. Honda offers alot of beautiful options on eBay for decent prices.
                                Just use the b6d Capri exhaust manifold. The Honda headers won't work, except if you cut it all up into bend sections and make your own header. Miata headers won't either unless you do the same thing. You'd need a header for a 1.6 dohc Ford Laser from the land of Kangaroos.

Comment

Working...
                                X