B6d performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    All the miata internal hop up parts fit the b6d, because it's the same block and head. That means the fancy forged pistons, rods and big cam options will fit the b6d. The remedy to the intake manifold is in the form of the JDM gtx intake manifold. After Madness I will be doing dyno comparisons with many different mods to my b6d. It's definitely quick. I pulled dead even with a co workers '15 5.0 mustang. Neither of us expected that. Lol
    NA?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Meant all the miata B6 internal parts will fit.

Yeah Pedro is n/a. Only mods are mildly ported head and 10:1 compression, k&n filter and custom exhaust. It makes enough tq to spin a brand new stock clutch in 3rd gear. I have a bunch of bolt on goodies to test on the dyno after madness. I'll probably split a dyno day with Dragonhealer after he builds his monster n/a single cam engine.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
        Perhaps we can get Charlie to jump in.
        MiltonHavoc, you are right, there is no real performance support for the single cam engine in this country. I can see the point, as the twin cam engine is so common here, and a more efficient pump.
        Obviously, the turbo option will make plenty of power, but either way the packaging and plumbing present challenges.
        About porting and polishing a head, our 179whp B61P has a STOCK, UNMODIFIED head, though little else in or attached to the engine, is still in stock form. The head is not the flow restriction.
        I suspect the B6D needs compression ratio raised and an intake that flows like a Miata's does.

Yeah, the thread, a bummer. Much discussion with Charlie convinced me I can make a 250hp MazdaSpeed as a B6 and not have to put up with all the drawbacks of the BP. The B6 is "sweet" because of it's dimensions, which the BP lost due to the increased pitch.

Isn't someone here working on custom intake manifolds?
        That I am. Hopefully I can get something to show for it in a month or two. I've been busy moving and I took up woodworking, I have a two story shop barn to work in

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Meant all the miata B6 internal parts will fit.

Yeah Pedro is n/a. Only mods are mildly ported head and 10:1 compression, k&n filter and custom exhaust. It makes enough tq to spin a brand new stock clutch in 3rd gear. I have a bunch of bolt on goodies to test on the dyno after madness. I'll probably split a dyno day with Dragonhealer after he builds his monster n/a single cam engine.
          Are you planning on doing any z series r&d or should I get off my rear and start on that?
          Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

I Cant wait to see these b6ds on the dyno and some data..
            I was Initially Hoping for stock b6t (130 ish) horsepower with an na build but then got shot down on the miata forums.

Comment

I dont think i asked. But does any of the b6t stuff swap over to the b6d?
              Or is it a custom job to turbo the b6d?
              Fast....Women are fast
              Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
                I dont think i asked. But does any of the b6t stuff swap over to the b6d?
                Or is it a custom job to turbo the b6d?
                READ THIS THREAD
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Ok so from reading :
                  A b3 oil pan will in theory work on a b6d if you use the b3 baffle.
                  Cannot use a b6t manifold on a b6d
                  But an aftermarket b6d turbo manifold will work.
                  Fast....Women are fast
                  Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Also, if i want to turbo, i need the b6t pistons and camshaft (exhaust )
                    Last edited by MiltonHavoc; 10-11-2015, 11:45 PM.
                    Fast....Women are fast
                    Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

The b6t stuff all bolts on to the b6d.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

The two engines (b6d and b6t) are almost exactly the same, The b6d just has higher compression pistons. Everything interchanges, unless your talking about the mx3 version of the b6d which is more of a B5 and only bottom end components interchange.
                        To simplify things,
                        -B6t turbo system will bolt right to a b6d.
                        -no need to change cams unless your b6d is from an automatic car. Even then you can run the auto cams, but don't try to run high boost and high rpm.
                        -even the 9.4 to 1 manual trans b6d pistons will take 10-12psi boost reliably, with good fuel and a decent tune (stock b6t tune, or rocket man tune is fine).
                        -the baffles are not removable or interchangeable between oil pans. To get the baffled pan you'll need to use the b6d pan or a b6t pan. If your using an e series tranny then a stock capri non turbo pan is your best option, with a oil return bung welded into it. If your using a g series tranny then the capri xr2 oil pan is your best option. no need to put an oil return in the xr2 pan, it's already got that.

The reason I recommend building a b6t out of a b6d or b6ze, rather than trying to find one is because they are getting hard to find. Also, the components aren't really that good and aren't worth the trouble of finding a capri xr2 or 323gt in most places. If you can get a capri xr2 for 500 bucks then it's a great deal and has everything you'll need, but they are getting to be rare these days. The stock b6t turbo is not that great and the exhaust manifolds are known for cracking. It's easier to just have a custom manifold made to hold a modern garrett turbo, and then your all set to make as much HP as you'll ever need in a Festiva. The b6d and b6t are the same engine, all the parts will swap over, and most of the parts are the same. B6d has low impression pistons and a slightly different exhaust cam than the manual trans b6d. The automatic b6d has medium compression pistons (9:1) and cams that are designed for low end TQ, which you won't need in a Festiva with a good DOHC b6 swap. The parts all interchange, the blocks, heads, rods (other than the 323 GT/gtx rods are heavy duty), cranks and intake manifolds, valve covers, oil pumps, and everything else is all the same. The distributor is different on a b6t, but they both bolt on either engine because the two engines are THE SAME BASIC ENGINE!
                        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-12-2015, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Got you.
                          And thanks.
                          You put, on the writeup that you linked, that the exhaust manifold was different between the b6d and b6t.
                          That's why I noted needing a turbo manifold.
                          But now, i can start sourcing stuf!!
                          Fast....Women are fast
                          Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

FWIW, according to Mazda Motorsport, the rods in the Miata (B61p/B6ZE) are the correct replacment for the GTX rods.
                            No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
                              Got you.
                              And thanks.
                              You put, on the writeup that you linked, that the exhaust manifold was different between the b6d and b6t.
                              That's why I noted needing a turbo manifold.
                              But now, i can start sourcing stuf!!
                              The exhaust manifolds are different, but they interchange from one engine to the other. The B6t turbo exhaust manifold is not really worth the effort to find, unless you've got one already. The stock B6t exhaust manifold limits you on turbocharger choices and the stock ihi rhb5 turbo is very outdated and much less efficient than a modern garrett turbocharger.
                              You are better off making a turbo manifold that uses a garrett t25 flange. The Nissan sourced gt2554 is the perfect size for a b6 16v engine.
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-13-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

The exhaust manifolds are different, but they interchange from one engine to the other. The B6t turbo exhaust manifold is not really worth the effort to find, unless you've got one already. The stock B6t exhaust manifold limits you on turbocharger choices and the stock ihi rhb5 turbo is very outdated and much less efficient than a modern garrett turbocharger.
                                You are better off making a turbo manifold that uses a garrett t25 flange. The Nissan sourced gt2554 is the perfect size for a b6 16v engine.
                                Or a B6 8v engine with headwork, cam and exhaust?
                                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                                X