Any thoughts on weird motor swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this thread. That's all.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

These are exactly the kind of wacky ideas I love and expect from this forum. You guys are great. I do like the idea of a cvt. That was one of the things I really liked about the Saturn Ion, despite it just being a waiting game for the pcm to take a dump. I love diesels, but I was aiming more toward motorsports. Road/Circuit racing or rally. I like the Fiesta ST, Mitsu, and 13b ideas. Any refinement to add to those specific thoughts?
      A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
      Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Depends what kind of motorsports your into as to weather diesels are good or not. If your into this then you may want a diesel: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=atynRYvcoSI
        Another whacky idea: take the engine out of a turboed arctic cat M8 or M1000, (whichever fits better) run them on av gas and nitrous. Have them-engine and trans together both under the hood hooked up to separate front wheels. 2 gas pedals and a brake instead of a clutch. So you would have 170+ hp going to each wheel and the engines operated off separate gas pedals to aide in steering. Now that would be a sweet 1/4mile car, and possibly track car if you put hundreds of hours into getting used to driving it, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I have a next project. I'd like to do an aspire with a v6 manual from a Pontiac g6. 6 speeds, probably 180hp+. So much fun

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

If I were to try a new engine swap idea, I would go for the 2.5 MZR engine, get the N/A trans which I've heard is a G series, diff swap, if need be to accommodate the XR2 axle set

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I think those are all 6 speeds though ^^^
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                I think those are all 6 speeds though ^^^
                in the speed's yes, but in the N/A it was a 5 speed, however in the later 2010+ models with the 2.5 N/A, they came with a 6 speed G series transmission.... Hmm 6 speed MZR festiva.....

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Here's an odd swap I saw at one point that could probably be retrofitted for a festiva. Geo Metro with a Hyabusa motor. This guy is a friend of mine who races around KCMO. Note the 2nd page has something awesome... chain driven reverse... https://classicmotorsports.com/forum...r/37657/page1/

Car #789
                  Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
                  1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
                  1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
                  http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

I like all of these larger displacement snowmobile/UTV engines popping up with turbos etc.
                    This one isn't the biggest or most powerful, but it seems like a nice little mill, I think it would be fun in front of a CVT around an autoX course or even dirt or ice.

http://wastelandperformance.com/wp-c...0brochure2.pdf

Run a chain drive with some custom axles or save some space and just mount it longitudinally pointed at a Miata differential or something, wouldn't be too much work for somebody committed.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                      in the speed's yes, but in the N/A it was a 5 speed, however in the later 2010+ models with the 2.5 N/A, they came with a 6 speed G series transmission.... Hmm 6 speed MZR festiva.....
                      A guy once widened a VW rabbit to fit over a Porsche 928 chassis. It took long a couple looks to see the car was modified. You may have to widen the whole car another inch or 2, but it would be totally worth it!
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-30-2016, 11:00 AM.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Now that's an option I hadn't thought of before! haha... sounds like a bit more work then it'd be worth to me, but I'd love to see someone else do it!
                        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Step 1: draw line around nicest of 2 Festivas.
                          Step 2: draw 2 lines around donor car (1 inch from centerline on either side)
                          Step 3: cut along lines
                          Step 4: weld 2" section in the middle of straight festiva.
                          Step 4.5: smooth and paint
                          Step 5: have custom windshield and hatch glass cut.
                          Step 6: install MZR turbo engine with 6 speed gearbox.
                          Step 7: test drive
                          Step 8: smile
                          Step 9: wash car
                          Step 10: drive to FMX

Ten easy steps to success.

Comment

I never knew it was so simple! I'll get right on it
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I wonder if an Eclipse turbo engine would fit in a Festiva...
                              Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

It fits in a colt... but those are backwards engines so mounting would be interesting.
                                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X