Cant get my recently installed B6ME running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get my recently installed B6ME running

So you have verified fuel, spark and compression in the combustion chambers. Incorrect timing may be the missing link. Pull your timing belt covers. Rotate the engine until the crank gear is straight up at 12 o'clock and the marks aligned. Now look at the cam gear. The marks should be at 12 and 3 o'clock and aligned with the marks on the valve cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dalebwilson; 03-25-2017, 04:18 AM.
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Just curious, with all the cranking you have tried, were the plugs wet with fuel when you removed them?

Comment

With the crank and cam gears in time, the distributor rotor button should be pointing in the general direction of the #1 spark plug wire. There are 2 other positions the rotor button can be installed and the engine will not run.

Comment

Here's what I did today. As I mentioned I am using the B3 distributor. With the engine at TDC the distributor rotor is close to 90 degrees from where it should be. It is advanced towards the #3 tower on the distributor. I have known this and moved the wires in the cap accordingly. I also had advanced the distributor as far as it would turn in the advanced direction (clockwise). I thought I was was hitting my new #1 tower but this morning with better lighting I realized I needed to go further clockwise. I elongated the slots and also ground some material on the lower ear that was hitting the thermostat. Put the distributor in and decided to move the MAF (raise it) so I could hit the timing marks with my Snap On timing light. I turn the key on and crank 'er over with my remote starter switch and to my surprise the timing light doesnt light. Now I'm thinking I have no spark. I also notice I no longer momentarily hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on. The 3 main fuses (they replace the fusable links) all check good. Now I notice the familiar click of the main relay is missing. I remove it, it's the one in front of the radiator over flow tank, and test it with my ohm meter. The 2 small wires are obviously the pull in circuit. I get infinite ohms so put the one in from the '93 which BTW measured 2 ohms across the skinny wires. I turn the key and it clicks but still no fuel pump momentarily kicking on. I put a jumper wire in at the test connection near the master cylinder and the pump comes to life. I get in the car and crank it over and it comes very close to starting but doesn't. I am now getting spark however the timing light still does not work. My thoughts are the timing is still a bit retarded and rotating the distributor any further will require me to grind more material where it hits the thermostat housing. I will look at the possibility of re-clocking it internally. I suppose I will get a new one off of eBay and solve my problems. The thing that makes me wonder is why the main relay that worked yesterday quit working and why has the fuel pump stopped. I did check the ground junction block on the r/f inner fender the one behind the MAF. I cleaned the mounting surface and also added an addition heavy ground strap between the ground block and the front of the engine block. Also wonder why the timing light quit working today. Other things I noticed was the turn signal switch had been replaced recently and that this car was once pulled behind an RV and has a lot of added wires to the lighting circuit. Looks like I bought a real pos. I don't mind the $200 I spent on it, it's the time spent on trying to get it roadworthy. It does have a newish looking set of Kuhmos on a nice looking set of factory alloys. I will put them on here for sale as soon as I get the Aspire knuckles on the other car.
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Ground some more material from the distributor to allow me to advance it further.....and it started. The engine sounds sweet, it probably needs to get driven. Now for the bad news, I can't get any more advance on the distributor. Do this swap and you will understand and BTW I did try to press the pin out at the drive end of the distributor (with a press) and couldn't. If the pin could be driven out it would allow the offset tang to be rotated accordingly. Off to U-Pull it to look for a '95 Kia distributor. I hope it plugs in with no problems.
            '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
            '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
            '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Glad you got it running. I don't know anything about your KIA engine but my B6-ME pulled from a 93 MX-3 was ignition timed just like a normal B3. Distributor has adjustment capability on advance and retard without grinding.

Comment

I wasn't that lucky. I remember seeing another posting with a problem similar to mine. Maybe the Kia uses a different clocking on the notch on the cam that engages the distributor. I am used to working on American V-8's where you can drop the distributor in anywhere you darn please.....At least when I had my old muscle cars. I imagine today it's different, as in no stinkin' distributors. Thanks for your help Mr. Wilson.

Comment

BTW Mr. Wilson, where is Rising Fawn?

Comment

Rising Fawn is in the north west corner of Georgia.

Comment

I got lucky today. The U-Pull it junk yard showed they had 2 '95 Kias. I went to the aisle that allegedly had one of them and find it almost immediately. These junk yard cars can be hard to identify with missing / mangled sheet metal. I come across a plain Jane sedan of unknown origin with the hood down and I know its no Honda Accord. Something about it shouts "cheap". I lift the hood and sure enough its a Kia 16 valve. A B6ME with a distributor, MAF, and ECU. Too bad it's an automatic. I get the distributor and I'm off to the Ford section looking for the lone Festiva. I find it and it provides me with a nice $2.99 fuel pump relay. It's a '92 with 5 speed and A/C. I'm going back tomorrow for the A/C system. I get home and install the distributor. It fits like it should allowing me to put the plug wires back in the correct positions. I take the jumper wire out of the fuel pump test connector, put my Denso fuel pump relay in the harness and it fires up immediately. Life is good!. All the the trouble and time wasted was caused by trying to get the B3 distributor to work and to make it all a little bit more challenging it looked like my fuel pump relay was working part time. All fixed. Now time to start working on the B6T car.

Comment

Great to hear!
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                        X