No announcement yet.

Power...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great idea! Luxstiva will have to get this treatment, and the electric method should be lighter than any mechanical cable popper.

Perhaps this could be used to pop the gas cover too. You'd need to add a hinge spring so the cover actually "pops" open. Might be easier than harvesting the whole 323 cable system and installing in your Festiva. May still be a few ounces lighter, too!

Another good thing is "key override" is always available.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I've been getting tired (sick and tired...) of crawling in from the front and reaching back and flicking the pin over to engage the handle. My wife's car has a trunk popper/release by cable and it has the gas cap cover release by cable (it's an 01 suzuki esteem or overseas "balano" iirc). I've been thinking of doing that but the pin is on the hatch so I can't run a cable. Unless I did it on the rail and when I pulled the release it would push the pin towards the center of the hatch and enable the handle.

The actuator idea you have is great, and obviously it works. I agree that attaching the actuator to the handle will unlatch the hatch but idk that it's enough to "POP" the hatch? I'm thinking a 1/4" bushing or something might be enough though.

what all did you wire the actuator to for ground, and then what'd you use for your switch up front? I guess I could use anything really but just curious. My best preference would be to use some sort of switch meant to go into the dash on the left side of the steering column but doesn't matter
      Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

dash switch

Comment

Since I never use my rear defrost I wired it to that circuit. The wires are right there- already run and the switch is on the dash. convenient. I used a rear wiper switch since it has the momentary function for rear washer. There, the secret's out.

If you just have it hooked to the latch itself you will still have to unlock it first. A lot of people keep asking about that.

Comment

I don't think you have to unlock it if you go that route. I haven't looked at it internally, but what I gathered from messing with the switch underneath the hatch, the lock engages/disengages the handle. I guess if you can hook it past where the rod from the lock hooks up then you'll be alright.

I like defrost, I bought a repair kit since only ONE line is still complete. haha. but I'm going to fix that. I guess I'll have to run wire for it when I get to it

@brave, I like that switch you've got there. nicely done
            Walth

Comment

for a switch this is going to be your best bet (or something like it) because it reverses the polarity so you can lock and unlock no problems http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PNIJM2/...2&linkCode=asn

I like defrost, I bought a repair kit since only ONE line is still complete. haha. but I'm going to fix that. I guess I'll have to run wire for it when I get to it
              i dont have ANY lines in tact and i have a kit to repair it on the way as we speak

Comment

I like that switch. thanks.
                Walth

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
                  I don't think you have to unlock it if you go that route. I haven't looked at it internally, but what I gathered from messing with the switch underneath the hatch, the lock engages/disengages the handle. I guess if you can hook it past where the rod from the lock hooks up then you'll be alright.
                  Get in there and check it out. I'm pretty sure that the way the latch mechanism is it has to be unlocked then opened.

Comment

I'll check it out, I don't work til 11 tomorrow maybe I'll mess with it...
                    Last edited by walth; 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM.
                    Walth

Comment

i've got three actuators and one was full of water but my hatch and passenger door will (un)lock. i guess ill have to go scout out another one.. the motor is all rusted.. this one is ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
                        Get in there and check it out. I'm pretty sure that the way the latch mechanism is it has to be unlocked then opened.
                        yep, you're right. it moves a piece of metal or something that pinches onto the rod or something of the same nature. that piece of metal is right there by the latch. Unless you cut out part of your hatch, attached the actuator to the literal latch then you'd have to have it unlocked. haha.

Originally posted by MTec007 View Post
                        i've got three actuators and one was full of water but my hatch and passenger door will (un)lock. i guess ill have to go scout out another one.. the motor is all rusted.. this one is ruined.
                        do you have pics of this where you located them in your door(s)? I got the pic of the hatch from the beginning of the thread. And you are using a remote too, right? Is it like "universal" or something else?
                        Walth

Comment

i dont have pictures, but i just mounted it on the end of the door where the actuator rod can be attached to the lock 'tab' rod. my actuators are very different from all the actuators i can find on the internet. i cant remember where i got them, except i know they were 93's and a 95 mini van. any how i used up a plastic clip hole for the 1 bolt mount on each door. no remote just a switch inside.

Last edited by MTec007; 05-05-2010, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X