Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FestivaReeds HID Conversion! (caution pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ranger projector conversion with HID's... this is how im going on truckstiva so ive got bright lights and still not blinding ppl
    1991 stiva.

Comment

Update :

so i got these fancy projectors and ive been sizing them up to the stock housing, i plan on cutting the rear out of the housing unitll it fits the HID unit, then get a plate cut to match the mounting points of the HID, i also found a place locally who is using my stock glass housing to make me a Lexan clear cover to match the stock housing, i plan on blacking out the chrome reflector in the housing and just having a sweet hid thats adjustable via the stock adjuster screws ! ,

projector with hi/low solenoid

all i needed was a SPST (single pull single throw) automotive 30a relay, stock wiring and creativity

:
      The relay is needed here to supply power to the ballast when the hi beam switch is activated, without it when you turn the high beams on the low beam +12v is cut off. so with that set up using the high beam as my trigger wire and having a +12v constant to the relay it not only switches power to the low beam circuit it provides the power so you get no momentary flickers in the HID...
      Check out my HID Conversion in progress!

Comment

I thought these were going to allow the stock bulbs to be put in for inspection.
        Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

FestivaReeds HID Conversion! (caution pic heavy)

Originally posted by rbrown View Post
          I thought these were going to allow the stock bulbs to be put in for inspection.

True projector lenses like he's installing pass inspection because of their OE quality. The Lexan covers will not diffuse the light like plastic lenses can, and so keep the focus. The genius of this setup is that it allows him to both focus and align his projectors correctly. The black paint does two things: 1, it removes any backwash the lexan may reflect to the housing, and 2, it keeps night time oncoming traffic from being blinded by a now unshielded reflector housing.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
            True projector lenses like he's installing pass inspection because of their OE quality. The Lexan covers will not diffuse the light like plastic lenses can, and so keep the focus. The genius of this setup is that it allows him to both focus and align his projectors correctly. The black paint does two things: 1, it removes any backwash the lexan may reflect to the housing, and 2, it keeps night time oncoming traffic from being blinded by a now unshielded reflector housing.
            +1 Could not have said it better myself,any they pass PA inspection because they have the Hi/Low option which with the relay works perfectly

just waiting on the price for the lexan lens

Comment

You can always vacuuform some cheaper stuff ontop of your glass and boom perfect copy plastic lens. If you do this make a few sets as there is definate interest
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

^ that won't work, forming over the original part will produce a product LARGER and the the original. Reed would have to manufacture a piece about 90% the size of the original for that theory to work.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

He could make a clay mold inside the lens and vacuum form over that.
                  1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                  Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                  daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                  A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

You can still go over it,as you are glueing it back into place you trim as needed. The edges is not where light is going to be unlike halogen bowl reflectors. If you give it taper it can rest on top on the outside and give more area to glue back. Theres a member on here who used this method to do a retrofit on a
                    merc marquis iirc
                    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

UPDATE!

well ive been super busy trying to get things done at work and such so i havent had alot of time to work on these, BUT today was nice and i got alot done, first ill start off with the write up on what you need to retrofit the wiring, then new pics

REQUIRED PARTS:
                      2x 20-40amp SPST automotive relays
                      2x HID ballats, Hi/low Solenoids, and Bulbs
                      8x Phillips Screws
                      5-6' #12-14 AWG wire
                      2x packs of 18-22 AWG barrel crimps
                      1x pack of 14-16 AWG barrel crimps
                      Drill and Bits

Figure out your mounting location, in my case behind the fender is a prime location for the ballast and relay

WIRING:

For the Headlights you have
                      Red with White stripe (R/w)
                      Red with Blue stripe (R/B)
                      Black (ground) (B)

Relay:
                      Yellow +12v (battery) - powers the relay at all times
                      Orange - NOT USED (can be wired to fog lamps,since when the high circuit is on
                      this wire is 0v, under all other conditions is +12v
                      Black - Ground
                      Red - Hi-beam trigger
                      Brown - Low Beam Power supply
                      ================
                      connect the yellow to battery
                      R/W - connect the positive wire of the hi/low solenoid , and the red wire from the relay to the R/W on the harness
                      R/B - connect the positive from the ballast and the brown wire from the relay to the R/B in the harness
                      B - Connect the ballast,the hi-low solenoid and the black wires together

(tuck the orange wire away for later use!)

with this setup the ballast uses the 12v provided by the harness to turn on the HID's iniatally then, when the hi beam is activated it moves the flapper, AND the relay supplies the ballast with 12v since when u hit the high beam is cuts power from the R/B wire!

Pics tonight when its dark!

Comment

Thread revivaaaalll!

Any updates?

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                        ... If you give it taper it can rest on top on the outside and give more area to glue back. Theres a member on here who used this method to do a retrofit on a merc marquis iirc
                        Dat was me.

Thread that gave me inspiration: http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-app...headlight.html

My flickr stream of the process: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46165907@N03/
                        -Zack
                        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                        X