off road suspension upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off road suspension upgrades?

Just bought this festiva for the kids to drive on the farm. 1989 model, 4sp manual, 25" atv tires. the top is cut off and they were using it as a poor mans mule. it goes great, but need stiffer suspension. any cheap mods to improve the suspension and possibly get a little more ground clearance. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for the great site.

Ford aspire suspension will raise your ride height and be a little stiffer. And welcome to the site. It's the best forum around.

Way to start too. We like pics That thing is so cool. And add your location.
    Last edited by eurotiva; 04-06-2010, 11:14 PM.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Easiest and cheapest idea would be to put in the aspire front sway bar. You can also create a home made rear sway bar that works really well. Here is a link to that info:
      Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

Those are your 2 best bets for cheap and effective ideas. Good luck!
      Last edited by timmay89; 04-06-2010, 11:59 PM.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
      -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

that is diff never seen one with tirs like that i could have me some fun with that lol
        the heart beat of america stops here______________/\
        \/\_____________FORD
        FOREVER

Comment

Has anybody tried the rubber or urethane spacers that go between the coils. I think the swaybar would limit flex to much. Not concerned about handling at anything over 15-20 mph. The tires are 25-8-12 on the front and 25-10-12 on back. They are the stock rims, reversed on the back so the tires wouldn't rub. The fenders have been cut out flush with the inner. The front tires rub a little if you cut it hard. It pulls good, but i'd like to find a way to gear it down. The kids have been having a blast with it and they are learning to drive a real car. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jge3 View Post
            It pulls good, but i'd like to find a way to gear it down.
            Quickest way to gear it down would be to swap in an Aspire transmission.

BTW, Welcome to the site.
            Last edited by JPT; 04-07-2010, 10:15 AM.
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I believe the earlier Aspire transaxles would have the lowest final drive ratio. IIRC, in '96 and '97 they went up a bit for better fuel economy.

Kia Rio struts are a direct bolt-in and have thicker springs than the Aspire. Years '01 and most of '02. I think 1.5s from '03 might work, but the 1.6s and later models used a different three bolt strut mount. Here's more info:

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

For the rear? Try using front Festiva or Aspire springs with the rear shocks. I think someone said it would work, but I'm not sure.

Karl
              Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM.
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

thats a kewl one.... wish ihad a couple of those they look fun!
                IF ONE FESTI IS GOOD THEN TWO IS BETTER!

93 L TEAL ( this winter new paint) full 2.25" exaust w/flowmaster 2 chamber! all black interoir! coil overs and aspire swap in the wings and 14" jetta mk3 alloy wheels! bp+t on the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                  I believe the earlier Aspire transaxles would have the lowest final drive ratio. IIRC, in '96 and '97 they went up a bit for better fuel economy.
                  Happen to know what the gear ratios are? I know the '94 and '95 has the steep gears.
                  Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                  '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                  '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

No, I don't know offhand. Someone posted them around here a while back.

I doubt the small gain in low end would be worth all the work swapping transaxles, unless you needed a new one anyway and had a choice.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

So thats what a festiva sized push bar looks like. Welcome to the site. I have a farm festiva as well with a pair of turf saver treads on the front. Clever with the rear wheel flippage there.

Comment

Awesome work, Welcome to the site, I think You just inspired my next project "Jeepstiva" Here we go!!!
                        1993 Ford Festiva GL "My Cream Puff & new project"

1998 Isuzu Rodeo
                        1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400cc "Da Cruiser"
                        1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 "My Work Horse"
                        1994 Isuzu Trooper "Camo Off Road Beast"

1989 Festiva L Stock Engine "Rallytiva71"
                        Daily Driver,Rally Racing Look,Little Additions Daily. *******Sold*******
                        FOTM October 09/ October Page FF.Com 2010 Calendar.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3810528

Comment

grab some 4" caster wheels off a shopping cart and bolt them between the strut hat and the body.

you'll need to elongate the bolts, but it'll give you a 2" lift.

Comment

Originally posted by jdm babaganoosh View Post
                            grab some 4" caster wheels off a shopping cart and bolt them between the strut hat and the body.

you'll need to elongate the bolts, but it'll give you a 2" lift.

I think Hockey Pucks Will work too, I used to have them in my Toyota Pick up
                            1993 Ford Festiva GL "My Cream Puff & new project"

1998 Isuzu Rodeo
                            1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400cc "Da Cruiser"
                            1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 "My Work Horse"
                            1994 Isuzu Trooper "Camo Off Road Beast"

1989 Festiva L Stock Engine "Rallytiva71"
                            Daily Driver,Rally Racing Look,Little Additions Daily. *******Sold*******
                            FOTM October 09/ October Page FF.Com 2010 Calendar.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3810528

Comment

Working...
                            X