No announcement yet.

Installing new rear struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if it was harmful or not but when I changed the struts on my festy the captured nut broke loose from the beam without knowing what else to do I cut the plate off of the and put wrench on the nut and got it off but before I put the strut back in I took my trusty mig welder and welded the nut back on better than factory and I welded the plate back on it has worked for me I now weld the nut before I do struts on my new cars and I have had no problems
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

....thats actually a really good idea....

alot easier than messin' with a spinning nut that ya cant get off without inventing new cuss words!

.....'course I happen to have a welder too.
      Last edited by drddan; 10-02-2010, 02:38 AM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I do it now before I do struts on all my new cars plus the heat from the welder that is directed to the nut helps the bolt break loose I still haven't found a fix for the bolt being stuck in the strut though
        Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

Originally posted by muddevil01 View Post
          I do it now before I do struts on all my new cars plus the heat from the welder that is directed to the nut helps the bolt break loose I still haven't found a fix for the bolt being stuck in the strut though
          I have, you smother the bolts in anti-cease (auto zone $6.00 jar!) to the point when you're getting close to tight it's oozing out like a fat PB&J

I also put a liberal amount into the threads pre-install as well.
          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
          X