Not again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not again!!!

Well after installing new front wheel bearings (for the 3rd time) I am eating them up. They lasted 3 days and now Ill be buying a new set. I have no idea whats going on. I know I have installed them correctly. Someone on here said something about a preload spacer? I looked around and couldn't find anything like that on autozones website. I never noticed this spacer the first time I replaced the bearings so I have no idea what im looking for.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

The spacer is on the outer wheel bearing side I believe.

Here is a great guide in case you need to refer to it. http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...hlight=bearing
    '90 LX

Comment

I have done everything that guide says but never seen a preload spacer. Now that I know thats what is missing, I must find one. Does 1-21 matter on the spacer?

Comment

Yes, needs to be the correct size to take up the slack, any less and you chewup bearings, any more and you likely will crush/overload the bearing on pressing them together.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You'll need to get a spacer selection tool to determine what size spacer you will need.
          '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
            You'll need to get a spacer selection tool to determine what size spacer you will need.
            Or find a suitable replacement in a yard. As has been stated above, without the spacer, 3 or 4 days is about all you get.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

easiest thing to do is get a good set from the yard like Batman has said or a set that needs bearings....and when you take them apart use the spacer that comes with them.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

First time I did bearings on grey ghost, the spacers disappeared when I took them apart and ended up getting new hubs from yard and rebuilding them, and lol and behold, the spacer was on these cause I was looking for them. Good luck
                Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I hope festyboy can hook me up. There isn't any aspires in any junk yard around here. I'll just replace the whole front end again. I'm not giving up!

Comment

Do you have the old bearings spacer probably still attached to them.

Comment

Originally posted by EVOGUN View Post
                      Do you have the old bearings spacer probably still attached to them.

Viola! I guess my brother read this thread and went out and looked at my OLD hubs, not the new ones, anyways sure enough my old hubs had the spacer which is a 11. I freakin love you guys, no homo BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                        Viola! I guess my brother read this thread and went out and looked at my OLD hubs, not the new ones, anyways sure enough my old hubs had the spacer which is a 11. I freakin love you guys, no homo BTW.
                        Just the clarify, that spacer needs to be used with your old hubs.
                        It is likely NOT the spacer needed by your new hubs.
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Youll need the rotunda bearing preload tool to order the proper spacer - old hub with new bearings can mean a new spacer every once and a while you get lucky and its the same one - more likely you will be one or two spacers different - also spacers can differ from side to side as well

Borrow the tool - take em to a shop that has the tool or find one on eBay I see them all the time

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                          92 GL - parts car
                          97 aspire - parts car
                          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

So using the spacers that originally come with the knuckles wont work? My old hubs are shot because my brother used the tap in studs insted of the screw in studs for the conversion. The holes are bored out so there un-usuable. I guess this still means I need to replace the whole assymbly? This is getting rediculous. Atleast I have another BP swapped festy to drive. Im buying my brothers fester for 650. BP swapped with F-series hydro.

Comment

^^ Using the old spacers on a different set of hubs will likely land you right back where you are now. Unless you are really lucky, and they happen to be the same for both sets.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                              X