Axle cheat sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
    Thanks again, this chart is a good reference! It's saying aspire abs and non abs axels are the same length, I've never seen a abs aspire, but I'm going to get a abs axel for an atx car and see if this chart is right about those lengths. My passenger cv is clicking hard.

@Russian, yes, I have both driver and passenger side Rio axels on kiazord right now, I had to trim a little off the block plate to let the passenger axel be able to rotate, but it works up and down (fully compressed and decompressed struts with no springs) with no binding that I can tell.
    Thanks for the props Zoom,make sure you stand the axle on its end (Input) and compress.Then while you have your tape measure on the table next to the shaft measure all the way up to the flat that would butt up against the race. I know "Personally" that the Festy/Aspire measurements are dead nuts on. And if you dont need the abs ring you can just knock it off with a punch.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

hate to bring up old stuff but just saw this and was wondering if any of these axles would 100% eliminate the need for an xr2 axle on an aspire bp swap. thanks
      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
        hate to bring up old stuff but just saw this and was wondering if any of these axles would 100% eliminate the need for an xr2 axle on an aspire bp swap. thanks
        It depends what trans you use.

Comment

oops, yea i guess that would help out. sorry it is a cable g series
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

oops, yea i guess that would help out. sorry it is a cable g series
            Rio Axle's are plug and play for the G series

Comment

and are the same length as the xr2 side with the intermediate shaft correct? i know this will have more torque steer but im cool with that ill figure somthing out when it comes boost time

Comment

and are the same length as the xr2 side with the intermediate shaft correct? i know this will have more torque steer but im cool with that ill figure somthing out when it comes boost time
                Know one has stepped forward to give me the exact length of the XR2 intermediate shaft. So I cant tell you the exact combined length yet. All I know is that member Shadetree says they fit fine. And I trust him that the Rio axles end up being correct. It makes sense considering that the Rio is loosely based off the Aspire platform. And the Rio uses a G series case with what appears to be a F series diff.

Comment

nice organized info ! appreciate the work.
                  93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
                  RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
                  RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Oh I should add that ZOOM ZOOM graciously measured the overall length of the XR2 vs Rio setup.His results are posted above ^^^^Thanks Zoom!

Comment

^ yes. he has the rio one installed but hasnt drivin it yet but from hes tests he said it doesnt bind under turning or suspension flex

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                        I have a hard time processing info,spread sheets help me.So I made this,hope maybe it can help someone else. I made a couple observations:
                        Using a 02 Rio knuckle on a Festy,appears to require lengthening the Tie Rod @ 1" total.Using a Rio knuckle on a Aspire is almost identical as far as width goes.
                        Rio's track width compared to Aspire's are 1/16" wider.But use axles that are 1/8" shorter.So are they changing track width via rim backspace? How is track width measured? From outside edge of rim,or center line of rim?
                        F series tranny in Aspire, you can use na Capri axles with only 1/16" difference in axle overall axle width.

Anyone know the track width for the na Capri?
                        the image has dissapeared.
                        Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                        Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km
                        City - yet to be determined.

Comment

^ yes. he has the rio one installed but hasnt drivin it yet but from hes tests he said it doesnt bind under turning or suspension flex
                          Why didnt he go with the XR2?

Comment

Dunno guess he just wanted to test the theory but his swap is still in progress so it hasn't seen the streets yet.

Comment

I haven't been able to do the machine work to the xr2 axel yet. A hole needs drilled 3/4" from the current hole since the BP is longer. The Rio axels are in this transmission and in the hubs right now..like I said I removed the springs and turned the axel and it didn't bind but I haven't driven the car yet, so its still a 'do it at your own risk' thing like everything else. After seeing what happens when the wrong length axel is used firsthand I don't want to be responsible for someone wrecking their car.

I can also tell you that a Festiva auto, aspire auto, and aspire manual axel is the same length from the outside hub end to the tripot bearing. The inner CV cup is almost an inch longer for festivas, and the spline counts are different mtx/atx.
                              Last edited by zoom zoom; 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

i guess ill be the experement.so since the aspire im getting is atx ill need to get different hubs because the spline is different?

Comment

Working...
                                X