No announcement yet.

Mk1/Mk2 Golf adjusties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then your best bet is to run the back springs on the front struts ( you don't need the filler springs with the 10" spring on the front) and just cut acoil off the festiva rear springs and run them on the stock rear shocks for now. Cut the springs with a grinder and a cutoff wheel, not a torch. Heating high silicon steel( spring steel) makes it brittle.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-08-2012, 08:31 PM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Welcome to the club! I removed my rear 100lb helper springs because the rear of my car wasn't heavy enough to compress them lol. Rides way better now! Also the stiff springrates arent really that bad with stiff sidewall tires, anything above a 50-60 sidewall ratio gets kinda bouncy. I love mine with the 195/50/15s, rides amazing! I tried them out with the stock 12s with 165/70/12s and it was insanely bouncy!!! But the bounce is coming from the tires....
      '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTIVA View Post
        Welcome to the club! I removed my rear 100lb helper springs because the rear of my car wasn't heavy enough to compress them lol. Rides way better now! Also the stiff springrates arent really that bad with stiff sidewall tires, anything above a 50-60 sidewall ratio gets kinda bouncy. I love mine with the 195/50/15s, rides amazing! I tried them out with the stock 12s with 165/70/12s and it was insanely bouncy!!! But the bounce is coming from the tires....
        So what should I do with the rears remove the smaller springs??? An I'm runnin 195/45/15 on my festy
        Frankie

fully custom 88 festy (project doomsday) Febuary in 2012 calander
        Blockspire: ken block replica aspire
        AdvancedDynamix: "If you put the same kind of effort into your engine that you put into the rest of the car, well... it'll be epic". thanks man

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000110128487

Comment

Originally posted by frankm201 View Post
          So what should I do with the rears remove the smaller springs??? An I'm runnin 195/45/15 on my festy
          If your car is full weight, I would try them out first, once the car is on the ground you can peek under and look at the little springs, they should be complete compessed. If they arent, pull them out. But you'll have to raise the collars up to compensate for the spring height.
          '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

Welcome jimbo! Great to see another down under brother on here!
            60% of the time it works, every time!

Comment

Thanks bro that's good I need the rims an tires now lol really do want to adjust them to 12s lol
              Frankie

fully custom 88 festy (project doomsday) Febuary in 2012 calander
              Blockspire: ken block replica aspire
              AdvancedDynamix: "If you put the same kind of effort into your engine that you put into the rest of the car, well... it'll be epic". thanks man

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000110128487

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                Franke, do yourself a favor and buy 2 10" 200 lb springs and 2 10" 120lb springs ( you'll need wheel spacers in the back) from southwest speed (29 a spring on eBay). Those racelands have 300lb fronts( way too stiff) and 250lb rear(way too stiff as well). The 200/120 combo is still stiff, but not real bad.
                Questions!! On the Raceland website, their MK2/3 coilovers show front and rear spring rates of 350 and 250 respectively. Granted, I've seen no shock/strut specs, but I have to assume they'd be appropriately valved for those rates... By reducing the spring rate by just under and slightly over half, front and rear, wouldn't the setup be overdamped in all four corners?

Or would that be offset by running a longer single spring and removing the filler? I'd imagine the extra spring length would lend to some considerable adjustability, but I'm concerned with ride quality for my DD, and instability for those "agressive moments".

Forgive me, I've been reading about suspension setups for about 12 hours now and my head is spinning.

Thanks Guys,
                -Henry

Comment

The suspension travel that the racelands were designed for is reduced as well so increased dampening is appropriate. Just exactly how much is subjective...car weight at each end, how you drive and the road conditions. Each of us have vastly different idea's about what is a good ride as well
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I meant to report this earlier. For those of you that want to go "low" Raceland/Rokkor are not the answer. If you're interested in an affordable, easy to install coilover; these are great. However, they won't "slam" a Festiva.

Comment

Originally posted by deathrace2000 View Post
                      I meant to report this earlier. For those of you that want to go "low" Raceland/Rokkor are not the answer. If you're interested in an affordable, easy to install coilover; these are great. However, they won't "slam" a Festiva.
                      What are the answer?

I bought JOM Blue line coilovers, really stiff and bouncy.
                      I took the helper spring away, because they didn't compress almost at all.. Now the 121 is quite low, could be lower. But the coilover set isn't badly priced.
                      Hi! Do you wanna ride with me? I have red cabrio, it has the biggest engine what was available when the car was new. It also has about every possible accessories what was available then.
                      It's -89 Mazda 121 with 1,3L carb engine banana time

Comment

Originally posted by deathrace2000 View Post
                        No suspension alone will "slam" a festiva, because they don't have enough wheel well, but my Raceland setups drops my car over 4" and still rides beautiful.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

My hammer and I have managed to open up the wheel wells on my car a little bit, hah. Your car looks really good, Advanced!

Comment

Hmmm.. I wonder if I can stuff these in a festiva. And then I can fine tune them with different springs later. What do you think? its just a full coilover for a mk2/mk3 so, it should be the same as the others posted in this thread, right? It doesn't specify spring rates but, I assume they are much higher than needed for the festive application. At $318 shipped, its pretty reasonable I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Laughing View Post
                              Hmmm.. I wonder if I can stuff these in a festiva. And then I can fine tune them with different springs later. What do you think? its just a full coilover for a mk2/mk3 so, it should be the same as the others posted in this thread, right? It doesn't specify spring rates but, I assume they are much higher than needed for the festive application. At $318 shipped, its pretty reasonable I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RSK-STREET-C...b881a0&vxp=mtr
                              Did you see the $1700 shipping charge?
                              I know how to use the search function, I just don't always choose to use it. New modifications, solutions, and information are discovered every day and I want to know what the current concensus is for whatever topic I have in mind. Thank you for understanding this!

Comment

I have used the RSK units, possibly better than the racelands. Keep in mind though that the rear mk2/3 shocks will not work. They will fit with modification, but are completely bottomed out at a decent ride height. You'll want to use different rear shocks. See the "Advanced suspension mods" threads in this forum for an example of what works.

Comment

Working...
                                X