Stretched Rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dubkid View Post
    Anybody think about stretching rubber (sidewalls) to the rims? It would allow wider rims and deeper dish. Kinda a euro thing but maybe you guys could play with it....

tell me what you think
    Hi guys,

i am also using a stretched tires on my ride, a 175/50/13 Tires on 13x7 Deep dish wheels, these are offset wheels making them out of the wheel wells, about 2-3 inches from fenders. I would like to put a fender flares the same as the above. Can somebody help me search the pictures of this ride? The side,front,other angles view? I have a 4door pride same as the above 4 door ride.i wanted to see how it looks.

Btw, i'm using my stretched tires for three years now, and they are great!
    Last edited by MikeKia; 06-26-2013, 01:14 AM.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...1137_large.jpg
    http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...1118_large.jpg
    http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...1117_large.jpg

www.cardomain.com/id/MikeKia

Comment

I've done 175/60-13x7, 185/60-13x9, 185/50-14x8, 195/45-15x8.25, 225/50-15x10, 215/35-17x10, 225/45-17x10, 235/45-17x10 AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
      '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

I just purchased a brandy new set of 175/50 13 Nankangs. When I wear out my 185/60 13 AO48s I'll stretch them on my 13x7 team dynamics wheels. Should be a very tasty stance.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Please post some pictures advancedynamix i didn't know there are 175/50 on Nankangs,tell me more about it please.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...1137_large.jpg
          http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...1118_large.jpg
          http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...1117_large.jpg

www.cardomain.com/id/MikeKia

Comment

Bustiva: did you do those on a Festiva?
            Fast....Women are fast
            Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKia View Post
              Please post some pictures advancedynamix i didn't know there are 175/50 on Nankangs,tell me more about it please.
              They are Nankang AS1 tires. Probably easier to get in the Philippines than here in the U.S.

None of the U.S. tire distributors carry 175/50-13 tires any longer as far as I have found. I have tried and tried to buy them, and then a set of 4 popped up brand new on eBay earlier this week. There is a shop (Tuningshop.com) out of Nevada (they are a U.K. based company) that can import this tire to us for 183.00 usd a tire, but that's a ridiculous price for a 13" street tire. I was pleased to pay just over 400 for 4 shipped. Problem is that I have too many sets of wheels that they will fit. I wish I could have bought 2 sets but they only had 1 listed. I have a set of BBS RAs in 13x6 that would look nice on a Festiva, and I have 13" Enkie 92's as well. Decisions decisions.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-06-2013, 11:30 AM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
                Bustiva: did you do those on a Festiva?
                Everything but the 15x10 and 17x10, those where on my Miata and 240sx.
                '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

stance guys never sell their stock wheels and tires. deep down they know the truth that theyneed to keep them,, and it hurts lol.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I'd never go back to stock 12's. They are the most unsafe wheel/tire combo I've driven on a Festiva.

Comment

The 12" are definitely safe. The picture in the first post is unsafe and believe the driver could be issued a ticket for "unsafe vehicle".

I know if I saw this driving next to me, I would stay away.

Comment

I think he means unsafe as in handling characteristics. I'd agree with that. Though I'd imagine some wider 12s would improve things dramatically. Some 5.5 or 6" wide 12s with 155s stretched on them would probably be pretty nice. Still light, but more sure footed.

As already mentioned stretching tires has been proven for many years. Maybe the big cheeses in the industry have some very sound theoretical evidence against it, but reality says otherwise.

Here, read this thread.
                        Last edited by sketchman; 07-11-2013, 12:10 PM.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Stock 12's are much much more unstable than the tire/ wheel combo in any picture on this thread. Having actually pushed stretched tires to the limit in many circumstances on closed course and the street on nearly 100 different vehicles over the last decade, And having a dozen sets of stock 12" Festiva tires in my back yard that won't go back on a Festiva, I can say this with confidence. Even a stretch with poke handles better and provides more stability than stock 12" RIM/tire combo. The stock wheels scare me, because I'm so used to quality wheels and tires.

Besides that, OEM manufacturers are starting to stretch the tires on wider rims. This isn't just for appearance, it stabilizes the sidewall better which allows the tire to have a softer and more compliant carcass. Exotic cars have come with stretched tires for 20 years. This is not a new style, it has just been revived. It was popularized again by the drift crowd, who by the way ask a lot from their tires.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-11-2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I love stretched wheels, not necessarily the super stretched wheels but a little stretch is really nice. I'm going to have to get some wider wheels for my aspire now that I bought these 13x7 AR wheels for the festiva.

Also need to locate some more 175/50/13's.......................

Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

So 15's are easier to find tyres for?
                              I guess I'm still planning the Rio brake swap and aspire rear beam swap so I haven't delved into the tire threads yet. Guess I better get reading...

Id still love to have a cheap import option. The minicooper website had a ton of 12 and 13" options. Enough to make me price having my 12's widened to 6.5 with a +38 offset.
                              Last edited by MiltonHavoc; 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM.
                              Fast....Women are fast
                              Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
                                The minicooper website had a ton of 12 and 13" options. Enough to make me price having my 12's widened to 6.5 with a +38 offset.
                                Ooooooh. Do eeeeet.
                                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                                X