No announcement yet.

Aspire brake swap FAIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to me? I haven't been there but I'd say somewhere close to the price of scrap.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
      The majority of ourconsumer programmed robot motorists do insist on newer " safe vehicles, but those who can think for themselves drive old cars, that they like, forever.
      I have to admit I like that concept. When I lived in British Columbia for 3 years I felt the same way. You could actually aspire to own and drive the same vehicle for the rest of your life. With undue care and lots of oil spray I have managed to keep intact and drive an 86 F150 for 26 years in eastern Ontario. But that is a bit of a miracle in this climate and if I was smart I'd have you keep an eye out for an Arizona version that I could import. I stopped driving that truck in the winters 5 years ago. You get rather attached to a vehicle type and style when is reliable, economical and easy to work on. Plus over 25 years you've seen enough of the insides and parts to know how to replace them the next time without having to use a manual or learn all over again.

There's an interesting old 'cat' near here that drives a Model T all the time except in the winter. Totally original (except for the electric starter that he installed on his 60th birthday) and he bought it used for $25 in 1953 at a time (he says) when you couldn't give these primitive cars away.

Comment

I found some photos of the very first time I ran into the colourful old guy. Original paint, seats etc etc.

Comment

Wow! How cool is that!!
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

I think I'd have still salvaged bits off that rear trailing arm. The spindles, bearings and brake parts would all still have likely been usable.

I'm cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
              What would be a good price on a swap candidate...entire car?
              I scrapped it for $147. Broke about even on the car.

Originally posted by Christ View Post
              I think I'd have still salvaged bits off that rear trailing arm. The spindles, bearings and brake parts would all still have likely been usable.

I'm cheap.
              When you're beating on the front brakes and rust is falling from the rear, it's time to let it go. I have hopes to find a better condition trailing arm assembly, and I would rather have with the rio setup up front. It will happen someday. I am sitting on a nice set of miata wheels for the future.
              Putting this rusty junk on my car would be a downgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
                I scrapped it for $147. Broke about even on the car.

When you're beating on the front brakes and rust is falling from the rear, it's time to let it go. I have hopes to find a better condition trailing arm assembly, and I would rather have with the rio setup up front. It will happen someday. I am sitting on a nice set of miata wheels for the future.
                Putting this rusty junk on my car would be a downgrade.
                LOL. You need to come to my house and see some of the stuff I've salvaged that originally looked even worse than that Aspire did.

I hate spending money on things, I'd rather spend my free time cleaning and fixing stuff to use later than spend an extra $20 on a "better" example.

I just hate doing body work. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
                  She went to the scrapper today. Was glad to get rid of it. Unfortunatly, I didn't get the goods from it. Way too rusty! Pic of the trailing arm. This car sat in a pond or a ditch for a while.
                  [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
                  You ain't kiddin! Holes in frame steel don't excite me to do much with the rest of a vehicle either. That situation you've documented is extreme. Almost as if someone spiteful climbed under the car years before with a spray bottle of picric acid.

Comment

Yeah, I made a bad decision to buy the car. Lucky, I didn't really lose much, but some time spent. I will look a little harder at the next one I buy. That car spent some time in the water or something. Kansas doesn't get much snow for a 17 year old vehicle to be that corroded. Lesson learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X