No announcement yet.

New Snow Tires..13 inch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most places will only stud new tires, not used ones. Flip open your phone book, within 3 calls you should have either found someone that will stud tires or at least found the name of a place that does.

Just to reiterate what has already been said, though:
    1) studs aren't legal in most places year round, so you have to have a dedicated set of snow tires.
    2) It will be obvious to anyone within a half mile that you are running studs on dry pavement. Thats how loud they are. And the vibration/noise inside the car also pretty bad.
    3) After enough driving on dry road, the studs start to fall out. Well, fall not really the word. Since the wheel is spinning, they fly out. You'll hear them pinging off the fenders when the tires get hot.
    4) Tirerack has done extensive testing on sheer ice (think ice rink) conditions. I personally would think they would have an interest in saying the studded tires were better, so they could charge more for studs. however, their tests have shown that even on absolute glare ice, modern high silica, siped, soft rubber compound snow tires get better traction and have shorter stopping distances than traditional studded snowtires.

And studded tires won't help you one bit if youre going "through snow drifts." Really, honestly, there is only so much you can ask a 1600 lb fwd car to do in the winter. If big snow drifts are on the menu, the festiva is not the appropriate car for the job. There is no substitute for good chains. If you live down a road that is not maintained and has deep snow, buy a set of chains (I like the diamond ones best) and get used to putting them on before you turn down your road, and taking them off when you leave. There are newer ones that are much easier to put on and take off (takes me about 90 seconds per side to do my les schwab diamon chains) than old straight chains.

Comment

Re: New Snow Tires..13 inch

It's not the drift, it's the snow, especially warm snow, that packs and turns into white glass that glazes and glosses over where rubber has trouble hooking up.

And your 3 points I already understood.

I've called before, and they shun me, explaining only emergency vehicles get studded...As you pointed out, they're illegal here.
      Last edited by jason_; 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
        It's not the drift, it's the snow, especially warm snow, that packs and turns into white glass that glazes and glosses over where rubber has trouble hooking up.

And your 3 points I already understood.

I've called before, and they shun me, explaining only emergency vehicles get studded...As you pointed out, they're illegal here.
        I think I have it figured out for you, Unbolt your front tired and bolt on these snow tires, they fit the festy bolt pattern.

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yeah two of those up front, then replace the rear tires with skis. Like a big backwards snowmobile!

Comment

That out to confuse the snow cops!!

Comment

You definately want those winterforces, you won't beat them unless you could somehow get your hands on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS50's which they don't make anymore. In addition to superior acceleration and stopping grip, they'll provide the best lateral grip of any tire you'll find "in that size". The only negative is it's not considered a quite tire. Which can be a consideration at highway speeds while listening to opera on the old XM reciever, which I suspect won't be an issue for you.
              <--- see the avatar I don't always deliver the news like you, but when I do, It's always bad news! buwahaha.
              Last edited by iceracerdude; 11-20-2012, 11:16 PM.
              97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
              CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
              Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Agreed, I loved the last set!

Comment

We finally got a little snow and I went to order the winterforce and
                  walmart is sold out. So were several other alternatives so I ordered
                  these. The noise is rated louder and traction poorer, but the winterforce
                  did not have very many testers..Has anyone used these tires?

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    The guy at walmart showed me a tire called Douglas that was made for them by Goodyear.
                    It only came in 175 70 13 and I am trying to get away from that size. It didn't strike me
                    as being the Nordic type. It was a snow tire but leaning more toward all season.

That on line link is a great resource, and I can't get those tires locally, the Kumho dealer
                    can get them but it takes longer than a week as he does not stock tires that are not on the
                    "A" sales list. The freight was 13 dollars a tire and I do all the work, but they come right to the shop!
                    I need to search the specs on that 145 tire, it might have a smaller diameter yet. Reason for smaller
                    diameter is I will have the snow plow on mine soon as snow is threatening and even though fluffy
                    is an automatic she is hauling a full load of newspapers in some very steep areas. Less strain
                    on things for both. Thanks! keep it coming!
                    Bro-told you last winter the Generals are the bomb. I think I posted it on your trailer hitch"BALLS" thread. We average @ 4o k a year.So I burn through a set every winter. I've had two sets of the Firestone. Not a bad tire,but for basically the same price. You can get the generals, and they are far Superior in the rain. The Firestones clean out good and will pull good from a stop. But on ice the compound is too hard. The generals are stud-able as well. Obviously due to our rims size its impossible to get the Blizzacks & Good Years but IMO the generals are a very well designed tire. To reiterate I cant say anything bad @ the General's.....
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Are the generals only available in the 175 profile ?
                      I was using 145 and 155 and did not see general
                      come up. I am not the greatest googler however.

Comment

Are the generals only available in the 175 profile ?
                        I was using 145 and 155 and did not see general
                        come up. I am not the greatest googler however.
                        Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I already ordered the 155 70 that Arty found, I think they will leave more room
                          for chains, I put the chains on my old 155 12 with steel rims and there is barely room
                          with a full load of Sunday papers. That is on the white car, the red on with lift will fit anything.
                          I should break all the rules and get a set of generals to go with the 2 like new winterforce.
                          Win!

Comment

Thanks, I already ordered the 155 70 that Arty found, I think they will leave more room
                            for chains, I put the chains on my old 155 12 with steel rims and there is barely room
                            with a full load of Sunday papers. That is on the white car, the red on with lift will fit anything.
                            I should break all the rules and get a set of generals to go with the 2 like new winterforce.
                            Win!
                            They have them at tire easy with your name on them http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...135&sowigan=Wi

Comment

Okay, time to eat some crow, the Achilles winter I0I is really poor on ice. I think the smaller size accounts for not so great snow traction. They are noisy. They are not even in the same arena as the year old Firestone winterforce I took off and put on the ATX. They are much better than the hankooks I took off the ATX...So I was spoiled by the winterforce. That said, In a few weeks I need to find some general altimax that nitro recommended. Some body knifed the ATX tires so here we go. It looks like Nitro in fact recommended these tires to me last year as well....caw--caw--lol

Comment

Dude someone cut your tires? That frickin Blows- :nono: Hope you like the Generals...I personally am ready for SPRING. My son & his friend just spun backwards into a ditch in Minnesota on the interstate. Blew out the kids rear window bent the exhaust etc,so you know something got tweaked bad. They were 3 hrs from home,thankfully they got towed out & its driveable.

Comment

Working...
                                X