Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever considered making an adapter plate to change out rear axle stubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some pictures of my first generation camber spacers. These are threaded so the bolts go through the stub, then backing plate and then thread into the spacer plate. I replaced the stock 10mm studs with grade 8 7/16 hardware.

Here is my latest design. The plates are slotted rather than threaded so that the camber and toe are adjustable by turning the plate. It is sandwiched between the brake plate and the beam.

The little black things in between the plates and the drums, to the right, are parking brake cable extenders to compensate for the spacers. The bolts don't seem to mind being at a 2.5 degree angle at all. I have had this apart and together lots of times for inspection and there was no galling or disformation of the parts. The holes in the stub axles neded to be drilled out, but the beam accepts 7/16 bolts with no drilling.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Wow! These are exactly the camber plates I am looking for!

How did you machine the plate to achieve the variable thickness?
      rusEfi - DIY ECU
      93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

Blanchard Grinder with a special fixture I made. Hook me up with a hot russian bride and I'll send you a set for free! Hahaha
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Any bride would get quite hot within an hour in Arizona... Let me check the closets
          rusEfi - DIY ECU
          93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

PS: I would love to buy a set.

Why are these so thick? Unless it's just the picture. Do they require the longer bolts because of this extra offset?
            rusEfi - DIY ECU

Comment

I made them thick because with all the negative camber, the top of the tire would be into the shock without spacers. These act like wheel spacers, but without having to use wheel spacers. they are 3/8" thick. The factory 10mm studs are too short for this and they are a little weak for the abuse I put my car through. 7/16 bolts are a little more security against the rear wheel passing me in a corner! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                So, you're running stock Festy drums redrilled between the 4x114 holes to 4x100? What rear beam are you running?

I've got an Aspire beam and spindles with Festy Backing plates and new wheel cylinders waiting for me to decide between stock and Aspire....

I don't have a problem with the thread jacking jdobbs86, but I would like Advancedynamix to answer my question. I want to build this axle.
                1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Sorry Larry, didn't see that post.
                  I'm running a stock Festiva beam, spindles and brakes with AC delco drums drilled for press in studs (4x100mm BC). You have to use the AC delco style drums because the stock ones and many other replacements have ribs where you'd drill the extra holes. Another thing to note is that the 4x100 pattern needs to be drilled on a milling machine, and it needs to be indexed in from the center of the bearing surface so that it will be true with the hub. A few members have tried doing it "by eye" and it hasn't worked so well. It's an easy job for a small machine shop or automotive machine shop. I bet you could even get your local Vocational school shop to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by russian View Post
                    PS: I would love to buy a set.

Why are these so thick? Unless it's just the picture. Do they require the longer bolts because of this extra offset?
                    I would also buy a set right now!
                    Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                    Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                    Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                    WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

x2
                      1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Well this axle was in the teal car I parted out, it had Festy Backing plates and drums on the Aspire stubs. The little deal that hangs off that interferes with the Festy backing plate was ground off, so these spindles have holes for castle nuts and should both be righty-tighty. I can probably get the new drums indexed for the 4x100 pattern. Thanks.
                        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                        2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Your welcome. That's a pretty creative setup, looking forward to your impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                            Ive been wondering about a VR6 powered Festy....
                            Do this! Here is the kicker, in europe some ford cars came with VW VR6 engines that were rebadged as ford. That's right, you can get Ford engine covers for a VW VR6. Plus, the VR6 has one of the most pleasing exhaust notes in sport compact history and supercharger kits are cheap used if you want to go completely over the top. You may as well just use the MK3 subframe and control arms and all, just make a way to bolt it all up in there and you'd probably need to wide body the car.

Comment

CRAP!!! I just sold the car last night for $700. Signed title is sitting on my desk right now.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

LOL. I just picked up a VR6 MK3 that's actually pretty clean for $650 the other day... I'm keeping this one, the old lady wants to learn to drive stick in it... and then I'm gonna start tuning it, because Vee-Dub.

Comment

Working...
                                X