No announcement yet.

STR 513 15x8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet right on Advanced! I think Im going to go with the racelands because I couldnt find the $299 JOM coilovers on ebay. Do the JOM's and racelands go around the same low?

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
      You'll want to make camber spacers that go between the beam and your stub axles. If you get this right then you won't need rear wheel spacers. Mine are 3/8" thick on the bottom and just under 1/4" on the top iirc. You'll have to determine the width of your spacers as you go, it's a trial and error thing really.
      Here is an example of some camber spacers for the rear stub axles. These are 2.8-3 degree adjustable ones.
      Did you make these spacers or did you buy um?

Comment

I made those spacers. They are ground 2.8 degrees. The low is at 15 degrees clockwise from the upper rear bolt hole. They are mirror imaged so they are side specific. I milled the holes 30 degrees so that they can be rotated for fine tuning. My process is way to slow to make these for people, but I can supply a drawing to bring to your machinist. I don't have a CAD file for them. The little rectangle things with 2 holes are handbrake cable extenders which are needed when you space the stub axles out.

There are a half dozen retailers selling essentially the same VW coilover kits. Watch the prices because it's like the stock market, UP....DOWN... UP....DOWN. I have seen them go for 299 shipped, but now the lowest I could find was 318 shipped. Here is a link for some (CLICK HERE) these appear to be JOM style, but with yellow zinc (better finish IMHO) rather than the silver of the JOM.
        the JOM style coiovers will go slightly lower than racelands (were talking 1/8" maybe). They seem to all use the same brand of strut insert, so valving should be similar. The link I just posted shows them with raceland style filler springs, which is a plus. Keep in mind that you won't be using the rear shocks, you will need to do something different there. I suggest KYB gas adjust shocks for a MK1 VW (rabbit, Jetta, scirocco, Cabriolet). These rear shocks will go a lot lower than Festiva shocks and are valved quite aggressively.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
        X