air shocks on rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air shocks on rear

so im wondering if I found a shock that had same extended height as the rear strut and same compressed.then what would be the issue with just removing the rear strut assembly and just running these shocks.they say you can run up to 150psi or as low as 20. I was hunting through pick pull today and saw a Cadillac Fleetwood with rear air shocks had a nice little compressor run off 12v. if you get where im going this seems like would be easy and work good.but only if you could run with no spring? and mainly back to the supporting a load is the only reason and its cheap. heres a link to get an idea of what im talking about.

Free Shipping - Monroe Max Air Shock Absorbers with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Shocks and Struts at Summit Racing.

let me know what you think

also check out video but I just want rears

This is my newly installed air ride suspension kit that I got through Bag Riders. I'm very happy with the kit and how it works. It's very user friendly, and ...
    Last edited by 1chrisapple; 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM.

a friend of mine had a festy with tractor cab airbags fabbed to the rear beam for a load leveling system. it was a very symple install but was also VERY effective.

similar to this:
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

you wouldn't happen to have pics would you.

I drive a semi but never thought about using cab shocks. those things are very heavy duty and last for miles to. thnx for input

I think this may be the solution for us who want to carry loads and still have good ride quality and handling.

I think more about it one could also use the air seat.air bag as they support all the way up to like 400lbs per bag.

Comment

Festiva on airbags.

Now there's a fabulous idea. Lowered Festy without lowering it@$@$@$#@!#!@#!#

Going junkin' tomorrow, might look into a few Caddies or Lincoln Towncars. That would be insanely awesome.
        White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
        White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
        1988 LX 5-speed
        ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

all the stuff on towncars is always wore outthats y they sag all the time but that would be some good info if it worked.im also sure it would give more tire clearance bc wouldn't have a spring on it.

Comment

the rig on that aforementioned car was one bag per side and the strut springs removed (bags supported the weight of the car entirely). all the PO did was weld on a piece of angle iron for the bag to rest on and that located it directly under the rear subframe tunnels.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

heres another http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gabriel-air-...c5b086&vxp=mtr

Comment

If one were to find a good set of Towncar bags, they would theoretically last a lot longer on a Festy, right? Half the weight, or more like 33% of the normal weight on them with a Festy rear end. Something like 1300LBs factory down to about 600LBs? Maybe 700? Would give a lot of room for trailer weight without adverse affects on the bags, I would think.

EDIT/curb weights:

1993 Town Car: 4061lbs (maybe 1500-1600 rear end?)

1993 Festiva: 1797lbs (800 tops rear end)
                Last edited by Spike; 08-23-2013, 11:00 PM.
                White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                1988 LX 5-speed
                ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

anything will last longer on a festy not much weight to them. im not really into fabbing up coilovers and stuff just to support a little more weight so I think im going to try this out.just have to find the right ones.this would aslo solve a lot of spring problems for people

Comment

those are cheaper through autozone by $15

Comment

Wasnt simons car bagged? I was interested in trtung this awhile back too
                      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

dang I didn't know this many would be interested in this.seems like a craze now lol.
                        so if someone beatsme to it find a shock to work and post it up or if u already have an idea.

Comment

anybody know what the extended length of a festy rear strut is and the compressed is. there are some air shock sets on raockauto for like $56

Comment

The craze was always there, but most of us owned multiple vehicles: Festiva for commuting, some truck for hauling. The craze is ON when member after member proves the festiva pulls things it shouldn't, and gets the job done @30mpg LOADED. Not even a minitruck 22r can pull that off work all day get that kind of fuel savings and not ride like a skateboard.
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                            X