Aspire Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire Steering Rack Swap

Aspire rack has a better ratio but the inner tie rods are too long...so my toe in is absolutely horrid even with the outer tie rods spun in as far as they can go! Just ordered new ones today but in the meanwhile I have to put up with it being twitchy as heck and the possibility of premature wear on my tires. Guess Ill just rotate the tires on my days off.
    1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
    2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

This is what happens when you throw stuff out over and over again, never learning and have to cobble crap together lol

Dave Forget

Comment

Festiva tie rods might be shorter, but I'm not positive about that. Is your rack an aspire power rack? I'd like to try an aspire power rack.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Shorten them? Can't be that hard.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Festy inner rods are shorter yes ! And aspire power rack fits just replace inner and outer rod ends and go !
          New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
            Festy inner rods are shorter yes ! And aspire power rack fits just replace inner and outer rod ends and go !
            I had assumed this, and it's awesome to get verification! Quickening the rack ratio on some of the other cars I have built has dropped a second or more from lap times, while drastically improving line consistency. That's very exciting!

Now, I need to find an Aspire power rack. Time for a wanted ad.
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

90,000 miles I can pull complete system if it's still at the yard ! I will find out this weekend !
              New build on the way .

Comment

Pm'd

Comment

Would you fit the power steering pump too? Or keep it manual?

Sent from my Agora Quad Core using Tapatalk
                  1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

I used a manual aspire rack and didn't change anything bc I have aspire swap

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      I had assumed this, and it's awesome to get verification! Quickening the rack ratio on some of the other cars I have built has dropped a second or more from lap times, while drastically improving line consistency. That's very exciting!

Now, I need to find an Aspire power rack. Time for a wanted ad.
                      Is it safe to assume that the Aspire rack in question will be de-powered? If so, hi is it done?

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada
                      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Lol.. The suspense is killing me. I have tens if not hundreds of aspires at my disposal here in sydney

Sent from my Agora Quad Core using Tapatalk
                        1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

I was thinking about just shortening the aspire inner tierods if the the festiva inners dont work on the aspire rack for some reason. Just throw a die on there, cut an inch or so off, than thread an inch or so onto the inner tierod, than back-thread the part I cut off without even taking it off the car lol.

Dave Forget

Comment

My Aspire rack was not a powered unit.

Dave Forget

Comment

Without a doubt if you depower a power steering rack youll get a faster ratio. The "proper" way of doing this is plugging the power steering lines, opening up the unit, cut the piston away without nicking the shaft, grease the loving crap out of the innards and throw it back together. If that piston isnt cut out youll have this annoying resistance once and a while when you turn the wheel.
                              Last edited by defprun; 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM.

Dave Forget

Comment

Working...
                              X