4x100 Redrill Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x100 Redrill Template

If something like this is already on here, forgive me. I didn't find it.

So, you want 4x100 in the rear and can't find an Aspire swap, can't afford one, or just don't want to swap the rear for whatever reason. And you don't want to or don't have the option to get a machinist to change the pattern on the stock drums.

No problem. I will be doing this job myself in the near future so I worked up a template to do it backyard style. No measuring, no lining up the pattern by the bearing race to get it centered, etc. Print it out, cut out the 114.3mm spaced bolt holes and center bore, and slap it on the drum for instantly lined up 100mm spaced holes.

The new holes are centered directly at the ends of the curved lines without the black circles on them. The ones with the black circles are 114.3mm apart and there to line the whole thing up. The center bore is to the correct 59.6mm size too, so it should make this job very easy.

As a side note, if you're doing threaded studs instead of knurled ones that pull through, you need a 10.5mm drill bit and a 12x1.5 tap. I'd also recommend a punch to get a good solid centered dimple for drilling the new holes.

IMPORTANT: You MUST print it out at 300dpi. If you don't the whole thing will be off.

Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

I tried doing a tail light template and never could get it to print the correct scale.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Needs to be in DWG format to guarantee scale.
      1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

I've done other things like this before. If you print it at 300dpi it will be right.

I did a cluster overlay that worked perfectly using this same method. If it doesn't work you're doing something wrong, or something is wrong with your printer. I use an app called Irfanview to print with complete control. It's free and gives you the option to print size by dpi. It's well worth having around.

If anybody tries it and has trouble, let me know. I can print them off and send them out for $1 plus a stamp. No worries.
        Last edited by sketchman; 02-19-2014, 05:04 PM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I'm getting ready to drill some new drums, so I printed this out and snapped a couple pics to show it really will work. It's spot on to the finest detail, as far as a cheapo mic can measure anyway.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Thanks for this Sketchman! I may make use of this down the road.
            - Form should follow function...

Comment

Sure thing.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Stock drums are not good for drilling because of the ribs and reliefs in them. However, some aftermarket replacement drums will work. I have had luck with ac delco powerstop brand rear drums.
                Also, iirc Greg tried drilling drums backyard style and he wasnt happy with the results. He is very talented with backyard mods, so chances are the difficulty level of this is very high. Not trying to discourage here, just offering a disclaimer. Hub bolt patterns need to be held to a high tolerance, otherwise you'll have safety issues.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I wonder if DW rear hubs would bolt on to the DA arms.
                  DW 121 has 4x100 stud pattern
                  And they're nice and small like the DA item
                  Last edited by moz; 03-18-2014, 06:59 PM.
                  1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                    Stock drums are not good for drilling because of the ribs and reliefs in them. However, some aftermarket replacement drums will work. I have had luck with ac delco powerstop brand rear drums.
                    Also, iirc Greg tried drilling drums backyard style and he wasnt happy with the results. He is very talented with backyard mods, so chances are the difficulty level of this is very high. Not trying to discourage here, just offering a disclaimer. Hub bolt patterns need to be held to a high tolerance, otherwise you'll have safety issues.
                    Duly noted. Wasn't aware that anyone had tried this before.

I'll be the lab rat for this method. So far I've got a another tip. Use card stock to print it if you can. But even with regular printer paper it's going well so far.

Top down.

And posed to show the center bore works too.

You want to keep as much of the paper sheet in tact as possible while you're doing this(don't cut closely against the printed lines). The more paper there is to support the printed pattern the more exact your holes will be marked.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                      Duly noted. Wasn't aware that anyone had tried this before.

I'll be the lab rat for this method. So fa
                      Yeah, IIRC he used a wheel with dual bolt patterns as his drill guide. I have several sets of drilled drums, but I do them on my mill, and hold the pattern to less than a .001" tolerance to centerline. I then press in extra long arp wheel studs for a Honda civic. I personally prefer the Festiva drums over the aspire drums for weight savings and I like the bias with stock rear drums.
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-19-2014, 03:47 PM.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I used a dual bolt wheel as my guide. I was very careful, and bolted the hub onto an old spindle, bearings and all. The spindle was bolted to my drill press table. I Made sure it was 50mm from center, and drilled them.

I'll say I won't try it again without a mill. Too much room for error.
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Listen to these two guys!

If you don't know anyone closer with a mill feel free to swing over to good 'ol Amherst VA and I'd be happy to let you use a mill to re drill all the drums you want.
                          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Hmm. What if you made a nice hubcentric aluminum jig, with bronze or steel insert drill guides so there' little or no room for error? I have seen jigs like this before for some 5 lug applications

If you have hubcentric wheels you're in better shape IMO, thats what centers the wheel & carries the bulk of the load.
                            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Found out some more. The autozone part that shows the correct inside design on the website is not the correct one. Apparently they are all going to the relief-ed inside with bosses, to save money no doubt. Hope I can still find some.

I'm still going to try it at this point. IMHO there is very little room for error using my template. It locates from the stock bolt holes and gives you a center the size of a needle point to punch and drill. I plan to use at least 2 sizes of drill bits to work up to the 10.5mm. I have dual pattern wheels with tires on them I can use to test just one drum before I decide whether to do it to both of them or not. We'll see what happens.
                              Last edited by sketchman; 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Working...
                              X