No announcement yet.

Festiva rear brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay now that I am not driving, rabbit/golf uses a rear beam similar to festiva. I was serious about VWs long before I owned a festiva,I ended up needing a right rear spindle for my 88 because I had list 1, but had a spindle off of a golf so I wondered how similar they were,because I was going to use the VW spindle temporarily. They were amazingly close I could have bolted it on with no more trouble than redrilling some of the mounting holes,I would have done it if hadn't found my lost festy spindle. No the cool VW Golf/Jetta/Scirocco had rear disc brake spindles that were the exact same mounting configuration and the caliper mount is part of the spindle. They were a bolt for bolt disc brake swap to non disc brake golf/rabbit/jetta/scirocco. So theoretically using VW rear disc pieces would be a super simple rear disc brake swap.As for Capri front calipers being finicky, my Rio Calipers have been sticky too,so and the VW rear emergency brakes are very delicate.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Hey ricko, good to see you are still on the forum. Are you a face book never, like me? With the exception of looking cool do we really need anymore braking on the rear axle of our Festivas? There's just not enough weight (in my opinion) to justify anything larger than what the factory put on. I converted one of my cars to Aspire hubs axles and brakes and did it mostly because I was wanting to get away from the 113 mm lug spacing. The extra benefit of larger brakes is probably not necessary unless pulling a trailer or racing. I will admit the bigger brakes look more impressive (to me at least) but I have found that the stock brakes do a decent job of slowing the car down although after driving a New Beetle I realize that they do require a lot of muscle at the brake pedal. Just like turning the steering wheel while standing still. The day I say I can't do it's over for me. I'm getting old and maybe an old Buick Road Master really is a good car for me. You ever look at those Buick drivers as you blast by them? No thanks, I will keep on driving my Festivas with manual transmissions, manual steering and weak power assist on the brakes. Sorry for getting off subject. Back to the rear discs, After years of driving my cars with shabby bodies and peeling paint I have decided to clean them up, add a/c to the B6ME car and in pretty much make them look respectable. Make them look like real cars (whatever that is). The one thing Festivas lack are rear brakes that look like they belong on a car. The stock rear brakes look like they came off a golf cart. I polished my 5 spoke aluminum 14" Capri wheels of unknown manufacturer and fitted a nice new set of !85/60/14 Federals and they really brought the aesthetics up a couple levels. The only thing holding back the desired look are the toy like brake drums. Vw disc conversion would look slick and maybe I wouldn't even hook up the brake lines. They would be strictly eye candy. Or maybe more like putting lipstick on a pig. But seriously, thanks for sharing the tip. Whenever I get on here and see that you have posted something I take the time to read it. You never fail to impress me with your knowledge of how things work and how to get 'er done by working smart, not working hard. If I'm ever driving through Kansas maybe we can go grab a cold one. One thing I do promise : face book never, not unless I wanna get zucked.....LoL.
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I do facebook never!!! The forumn sone changes took place layout, notification etc. and it just wasn't the same. When I get notification in my inbox, something has happened on a subscribed post I click on it and poof! Im in the forumn. If your ever in kansas Id love to grab a drink with you. The only reason I brought up the VW rear brakes is someone was looking for something plentiful and easy and the VW stuff is so plentiful and so close to bolt on as is. I don't think bigger brakes are needed ny green car has Rio/aspire my next build won't good pads good shoes and properly operating stock brakes are just fine. Everyone have an awesome day. If anyone has a tip about how to get more notification as to things happening on the forumn, post it here because this will hit my in box.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
        X