No announcement yet.

quick ratio steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i need a power rack from an 03 rio but a manual rack will not work ?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Comment

A manual rack would probably work, but the ratio will be much more like the Festiva manual rack, not as fast a ratio. Might beat a rebuilt rack though, these are typically in good shape, and have really durable boots. My U-pull-it only charges me $80 to $125 depending on who is at the cash register. You will still need to swap the side rods and pinion coupling. I got TRW side rods from Rockauto for only $28 each!
      No car too fast !

Comment

I want to buy a Kia Rio rack of someone here asap. My car is down. Need fast Shipping and a good price. Will order very soon otherwise.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I have a guy from Ohio grabbing me one tomorrow!
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

*THE guy. lol welcomsign
            Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

Yep the guy!
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Alright so is is model year 2002 or production year 2002?

Mine I just picked up says 8/15/01, so it's model year 2002. Probably he wrong one?
                Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

I believe you are right, needs to be production date after July 2002, (through 2005)
                  No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by ruppenduro View Post
                    wish I saw this a few hrs ago, there was an 05 rio at the junkyard with the motor/trans already out. I could of had the rack out in a few minutes
                    That's brilliant, called the U-pull-it staff and told them to call when the powertrain is out of the remaining 04 they have there!

Did you go back for it? How much do they charge there?
                    No car too fast !

Comment

Thought about going back, but the yard is almost 2hrs away. I ended up ordering one off of ebay out of an 03 rio for $57 including shipping. There are cheap ones on ebay and also car-part.com that are already pulled, and can be shipped to your door.

Comment

Excellent!
                        No car too fast !

Comment

What options are there for steel tube racks? My '88 doesn't have an alloy rack; the long passenger side section is a steel tube that has a much smaller diameter than the Rio rack. Do I just make a bushing to fit the Rio's larger passenger side tube, or are there other differences (column u-joint splines, etc)? I've got a Rio rack already and have stripped off the PS lines, I just don't want to tear into the swap yet if it's not going to bolt in other than making a bushing for the passenger side mount.
                          '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                          '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                          '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                          '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                          '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                          '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                          How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                          How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

I see what you mean, we haven't done Snoopy's yet ( an '88 )
                            if you didn't get the rubbers and "U" mount brackets with the Rio rack, it will be a little intersting. One of the Festiva alloy rack U brackets ( I think the drivers side ) fit the other end of the Rio rack, not sure if that will be the same on the steel rack, but it looks the same looking at it in the car. Other 2 questions ,are the side rods the same steel/alloy? And are the spline u joints the same?
                            someone here knows!
                            No car too fast !

Comment

Just looked up the tie rods on rockauto and Oreilly's, checked 88's and 92's- part numbers are different and the listed lengths are roughly 3/4" different. I'll have to get later inner tie rods, outers are the same part numbers. It shouldn't be too hard to fab a passenger side mount/bushing. Hopefully the splines are the same.
                              '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                              '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                              '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                              '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                              '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                              '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                              How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                              How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Yep, you already basically answered your own question... you'll need 90+ inner rod ends, any outers should work, and the u-joint should work. Putting an 88/89 rack into a 90+ u-joint can be a bit of a bear sometime, the splines are very close but slightly larger on the 88/89. They still work with each other.
                                ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                                X