quick ratio steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick ratio steering rack

Are they're any options to quicken the steering on a festiva? I see quaife sells gear kits, but obviously nothing made for our cars, maybe something could be adapted. also found this rack made for a Yugo, 2.4 turns lock to lock. Yugo's have the same front track width as a festiva (55.1 inches if I remember correctly). Wonder if it could be adapted, mounting may be a challenge

My 90 has an Aspire manual rack under it with the Rio struts on front. It turns quicker and tighter than my 92 BP car with stock struts. I'm sure someone will say that the Aspire manual rack won't make that difference, but it does.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Our fix is the power rack from an '02-'05 Kia Rio, un-powered or powered.
      Almost a direct fit, just add Festiva side rods, and one bracket needs the mount holes elongated a little, the other is replaced by the Festiva one.
      A little heavy in the parking lot (un-powered), but great on the road!
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-13-2016, 02:00 PM.
      No car too fast !

Comment

How did you work out the steering shaft being smaller on the rio rack .
        New build on the way .

Comment

I would like to upgrade my rack as well. I need to upgrade or rebuild. I hate just rebuilding.
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
          19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
            How did you work out the steering shaft being smaller on the rio rack .
            The steering U-joint is plug-n-play between the Rio and the alloy Festiva racks
            No car too fast !

Comment

what specs i could find real qwik show the 1988 'stiva' lock to lock as 3.60/3.72. (PS vs manual?) what would the Rio conversion give you?

Comment

When you run a power rack unpowered, what do you do with the fittings?
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I would think a simple cap. I might give a power unit a try in a non power setup.

But what would lock to lock be on the powered unit in a non powered setup?
                  1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                  1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                  1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                  19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                    what specs i could find real qwik show the 1988 'stiva' lock to lock as 3.60/3.72. (PS vs manual?) what would the Rio conversion give you?
                    We got approximately 3.1 turns lock to lock
                    No car too fast !

Comment

On the power racks I've run before without power, I took all the fittings off and just left the holes. You may want to glue some foam in them or something to keep critters and junk out. If you cap them then pressure will build up in the rack and make it harder to steer. The power steering fluid doesn't lubricate the rack or anything like that. You'll want all the fluid out of the rack or it'll squirt all over when you turn.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                        When you run a power rack unpowered, what do you do with the fittings?
                        I did a couple of pipe nipples with a U hose on the fluid inlet/outlet as we plan to fit a power system, work in progress complicated by the need for a V belt pump so I don't have to pull down the Dealer installed AC
                        No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                          I would think a simple cap. I might give a power unit a try in a non power setup.

But what would lock to lock be on the powered unit in a non powered setup?
                          Lock to lock is unaffected, the manual rack will have a different ratio
                          No car too fast !

Comment

Oh, the manual ALLOY rack is 3.9 turns lock to lock
                            No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                              I did a couple of pipe nipples with a U hose on the fluid inlet/outlet as we plan to fit a power system, work in progress complicated by the need for a V belt pump so I don't have to pull down the Dealer installed AC
                              This will increase steering effort if there is fluid in the rack. Hydraulic pressure builds in the rack because of the flow restriction of the nipples and hose. If the rack has no fluid then it shouldn't be noticeable and this is a great way to keep critters and junk out. You don't want critters messing with the nipples on your rack.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X