Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drddan View Post
    My weapons of choice:
    I can't help but envision Christopher Walken when I see that!
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

• ^

Waiting ... waiting ... waiting ... for an Air Correction Jet, and an Auto choke Pulloff Diaphram for the Weber (not included in the rebuild kit). When I tore into it, I found the Emulsion tubes had been switched and too big of an Air Correction jet on the secondary. Emulsion Tubes are under the Air correction jets. No wonder I had trouble getting the secondary to run right. So the secondary had 2 issues, wrong E. Tube and Air Jet, and the primary just the wrong E. Tube

I was still on a learning curve, when I first got this (used) Weber, it was a mess! The PO had been drilling, soldering, and grinding on the jets ... and not very well. WTH!!!
      I replaced the idle jets, and the main jets, with new ones. I was told by my "carb sensei" not to worry about the E. Tubes and Air jets, until after I got it running decent.
      I got it running pretty good, and never returned to look at the Air jets and E. Tubes. I wish I had now. Basically when I got it, nothing that one does to tune a carb, was even close! I brought it to a better running condition, but it still wasnt right. The secondary would never "tune" totally correct.

Now I am setting it up right!
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

• Injectors>

What else is left after you get the carb back together??
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Start it? :p

Waiting for my exhaust cat also. All the stuff I need should be here this week. I am hoping to turn the key on it this weekend. I've got 3 days this weekend and cooler temps to work on it.

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
          I can't help but envision Christopher Walken when I see that!
          Christopher Walken ...FTW!

The first movie I ever saw him in, was "The Dogs of War", which was awesome.

EDIT: Cool! As I was typing this, the catalytic showed up!
          Last edited by drddan; 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM.
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

• Sweeeeeeeeeet...I'm hoping for a productive weekend too. Any kind of special cat, or you just going with stock type exhaust?
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Was looking at the "non-cat's" out there, but they are universal, I would have to source out for flanges, flaring of the inlet tube on cat, and welding of the hangers. I bought an AP cat for a 323, ($71.24 delivered) doesnt have the hangers, but is set up with flanges and flare to mount with the exhaust downpipe already. I will probably core it out. :p

Then after start up, i'll take it to a shop for a cat back. 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 dia.
              Last edited by drddan; 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

• Your build is looking good Dr. Dan.

I haven't done anything to my Festiva in about 3 weeks. It's having a nice siesta and waiting patiently for the quad round headlights.

I'd probably run your new converter without coring it. A new one will flow well for a long time.

I hope to meet you in person someday. Maybe a mid-Missouri Festiva meet!

Christopher Walken is one scary looking dude...I'd jump if I ever saw him in real life.
                Last edited by BigElCat; 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM.
                '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

• A non-cat does flow better, tho. I have used both in two identical cars, white 1995 Aspire SEs, and the non-cat has a noticeable kick over the new actual cat. And that was without advancing the timing, as I did on the one with the new cat.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
                    I hope to meet you in person someday. Maybe a mid-Missouri Festiva meet!
                    That would be very cool!!!

We have had several STL meets, but it seemed to have gotten missed this year.
                    I also was in KC earlier this year, and visited with Markus (Freshtiva) If I get this swap done, I may be heading out that way again.
                    Last edited by drddan; 07-14-2012, 09:53 AM.
                    Dan

R.I.P.
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

• Originally posted by drddan View Post
                      That would be very cool!!!

We have had several STL meets, but it seemed to have gotten missed this year.
                      I also was in KC earlier this year, and visited with Markus (Freshtiva) If I get this swap done, I may be heading out that way again.
                      Maybe now with John, you and me here, we will get up the gumption to have an STL meet this fall. I liked the Tower Grove Park venue we did in 2010. Pretty easy to find, plenty of parking and nearby restaurants.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• I got to working on it this weekend, got a lot done, but didnt get far enough to start it, like I wanted.
                        Took a couple pics as it progressed

This is what kept me from turning the key on it.
                        I was starting to install the axles, and I noticed a torn boot on the outer CV joint. I had about 30 minutes before the parts stores closed, so I rushed out and got a replacement boot.

I had noticed it was dry rotted last year when I changed the boot on the other side, but was still intact.
                        I never used to trust the 2 pc glue together boots, but the one I replaced last year seems to be holding up well.

Here is a pic of the dreaded circlip that gives us trouble when trying to pull axles.
                        If it is sticking out like this when pulling on the axle, it will not want to come out.

See how big the gap is on the clip

I took the clips off and smashed them down with a pair of pliers to close the gap and make it smaller, then reinstalled it so it does not stick up out of the groove as far.
                        Should be easier to pull when I get new axles at a later date.
                        Last edited by drddan; 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

• Man that looks NICE.. what brand are those axel boots? I haven't seen them in blue before.

its a nice effort, but I don't think anything in this world will keep those stubs from being a PITA! haha, good try tho.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

• Hey Zoom, those are 2 pc, glue together, universal boots, called "Quick Boot".
                            You dont have to take the axle out, or the cv joint apart to install them.
                            Can do them on car, as I did the one last year.

Here is a pic of the smashed circlip. Notice it doesnt stick way up out of the groove anymore.

It will make the axles easier to remove.

I was tempted to leave the clips out!
                            Last edited by drddan; 07-16-2012, 12:54 PM.
                            Dan

R.I.P.
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

• Gotta show this car off at Madness, Dan!

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Hey Doc, I want to hear how good that thing runs! The suspense is killing me.

Comment

Working...
                                X