No announcement yet.

Ian's B6T Festiva build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who was born not particularly long before that pesky wall got knocked down it's kind of striking to see that "Made in West Germany" stamping. I mean nothing on a Kia or Festiva ever specifies which Korea it came from (though I guess it's obvious in that case, since the other Korea hasn't made it past past trying to make awful knockoffs of '70s Mercs)

Comment

Getting closer....

The Festiva I picked up for the winter just needs new rear shocks and an e-brake cable. I have the necessary bits and pieces to do the job and as soon as I've done that I can insure it, register it and then pull the project car into the garage and get started. The family is on board with the project which is a huge blessings and I hope to involve the kids as much as possible. Starting to get excited again...

Planning to have all the mechanical work and basic body repairs done by late March early April. Paint will happen shortly after that depending on temperatures.

Thanks again for your continued interest.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Picked some more goodies today...

Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Quick mock up of potential custom dash...

Boost controller would go where the lighter is currently located. Power outlets would be located in the console under the cupholder.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Very cool.
            Jack Byrd,
            1991 Capri
            1988 Festiva LX, 240K
            1970 Chev C10
            1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

I'd be cautious where you mount the boost controller. People have a tendency to touch things. Mine is in a spot where i can adjust it, and others can't. Love that dash add-on
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Looking great.. Can't wait for more updates.

Comment

Time for an update

Had a bit of a setback in plans as the white car I had planned to use as a daily driver turned out to be way too much work to get roadworthy. Many of you purchased parts off that car for which I am very grateful as that has topped up the B6T project account. I'm leaning towards keeping the back half of the parts car and creating a little trailer to haul behind the Festiva. But that's a project for another day, although I do already have a pair of matching wheels for it!

I may not have much of a choice time wise as my current clutch has started to make some unpleasant noises. A couple of things have been ironed out for the swap:

- Will be running with a stock weight flywheel to lessen the stress on the transmission. I saved the one off the parts car and will be having that resurfaced shortly.
                  - Transmission will be filled with Valvoline synthetic 20-50wt Motorcycle oil.

Both the above are at the recommendation of Advancedynamix.

Things still to figure out:

- Passenger side engine mount. I have a couple of ideas and options
                  - A/C mounting and wiring
                  - Intercooler: stock Mazda 323GT or aftermarket. (I have both)
                  - I'm leaning toward the Spec clutches as they seem to be more readily available. Still have to decide between the Stage 1 or 2.

Revised plan is now to get the engine swap done and running with the stock ECU and boost control. Once I'm confident that things are OK I'll then start with the upgrades.

Thanks to all for your interest, suggestions and encouragement.

Ian
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

keep up the good work! get you a good fuel pump & a rocketman ecu if your planning to up the boost. mine works great @ 15 psi
                    Last edited by kumalaba; 02-15-2015, 02:05 AM.
                    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

• Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
                      keep up the good work! get you a good fuel pump & a rocketman ecu if your planning to up the boost. mine works great @ 15 psi
                      Thanks Danny. Forgot about the fuel pump. I've heard Walbro 255lph but for which car?

Rocketman ECU I have.
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• They are pretty universal. I used a GSS342 on Tweak, but that was with an Aspire pump bracket.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Ball is starting to roll!

Ordered a Spec Stage 2 clutch along with SuperPro sway bar to body bushings and LCA to body bushings. I decided to go with the stock weight flywheel so I had that resurfaced this week. Going to clean up the garage this weekend. Once that's done I have some work to do on my daughter's Festiva... wheel bearings and shocks/struts all four corners along with new speakers in the doors.

When I've finished her car then I can start work in earnest on the B6T!! Hoping to have the engine swap done by the end of March and the body done by the end of May.

Ian
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            They are pretty universal. I used a GSS342 on Tweak, but that was with an Aspire pump bracket.
                            Is there a difference between the Festiva and Aspire pump brackets?

Ian
                            Last edited by fastivaca; 02-20-2015, 07:28 PM.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                              Is there a difference between the Festiva and Aspire pump brackets?

Ian
                              Yeah, the aspire uses a short section of fuel line and I think the Festiva pump interfaces with an o-ring and one of those clip deals. The aspire unit is easier to mount an aftermarket pump to, but you'll have to swap the plug to use it. I did that on tweak. The 89 auto unit is like an aspire, but has different connectors than both the later F.I. Festiva and Aspire. The 89 unit uses a bigger pump, like a Capri XR2 pump.
                              Aspire 4 door parts wont work in a Festy, you'll need the 2 door parts. That's all I think I know about that stuff and I may be wrong because you're in Canada so your cars are a bit different in many areas. Also, I haven't had the pump out of a 93 Festy in several years, so I may be confused.
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-20-2015, 08:02 PM.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Flywheel ready to go....

Ian
                                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X