• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:thumbs_up:
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Dash and console ideas...

Well here you go. I had a bit of time this afternoon and threw this sketch together.....

What do you think?
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Your steering wheel ghost looks like a "big eyed skeletal happy face". LOL

Seriously though, should be pretty sweet.
        -Bryant

Comment

VDO boost also from volvo or audi. Looks good Ian!
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Change of direction

Well, after much planning and discussing with family etc we're taking a slightly different tack on the B6T project. A number of things come into play in this decision; time, finances, skills and "in stock" materials to name a few.

What we've decided is to use my current 92 as the recipient of the B6T using the stock transmission and upgraded clutch. The main factors in this decision are:

- The car I was going to use as the base for the project is from "out-of-province" and as such would require a very extensive inspection done that would mean a fair amount of work and expense just to get it road legal here in Alberta. I won't go into detail but the list is 17 pages long and refers a lot to OEM specs.
            - The initial car is also an automatic so I would have to do the work necessary to switch it to standard.
            - Although my car is a bit rustier than I would like I already have rust free front fenders, driver's door and hatch to install. The rust in front of the rear wheels will be properly cleaned up and sealed and then covered by the side skirts. We will just repair the rust behind the rear wheels and repaint.
            - I already have a lot of work done on my current car: A/C, sound dampening, all the suspension work etc. Transferring this stuff would be time consuming and in the case of the sound deadener I'd have to buy new, a $200-$300 expense that could be better used somewhere else (see the next point )
            - Using the stock transmission saves a lot of time, funds and fabrication. I will be upgrading the clutch either by doing the Suzuki Swift modification or picking up something from Clutchnet, Spec or ACT
            - It will probably be a little easier to retain the A/C because the engine will be in essentially the stock position rather than being pushed forward the 2" or so it would be with the G-series transmission.
            - I don't plan on doing any drag racing with the car nor will it see any significant amount of track time.
            - My main goal with the project is create a great little highway cruiser that can hold its own on the interstates and the twisty backroads, a Festiva TopoTourismo if you will.

So there you go. I will probably be putting the G-series transmission along with its clutch, flywheel, jack shaft and drive shafts up for sale in the very near future. I've already sold the Aspire swap that was going to go on the car and there will be a few more bits and pieces available as we progress.

Thanks for your interest in our little project.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Soooooo... you have a G series for possible sale you say...
              - Form should follow function...

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconSoul View Post
                Soooooo... you have a G series for possible sale you say...
                Possible, but not just yet. I think I know what you're thinking

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Lol, worth a try! :grin:
                  - Form should follow function...

Comment

Got some work done today on the front bumper...

Before...

Full size patch thanks to Grey VW...

First cut across the top...

Second cut across the bottom...

Patch clamped in from behind...

Front view...

Marking out the cut line...

Cut along this line...

Test fit from the back...

The white bumper is an FMS version and the patch is an ATH. There is a noticeable difference in the thickness of the two so I had to come up with a method of attaching the two peices so that the front surfaces would be flush and still allow me to fibreglass the back side. Here's how I secured the patch in place...

All secured and ready to go...

From the backside...

That's as far as I got tonight. Next step will be to fibreglass the back side to join the patch to the main peice and make the necessary repairs to the collision damage on the patch. Once that is done I'll pull all the screws, scrape off the little wooden joiner bits and get to work finishing the front side.

Thanks again to Grey VW for salvaging this section of his front bumper after his unfortunate accident.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

nice work!
                      Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Thanks Danny.
                        Last edited by fastivaca; 05-09-2014, 08:01 AM.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Very well thought out, nice work.
                          Jack Byrd,
                          1991 Capri
                          1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                          1970 Chev C10
                          1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

Still a shame that Grey VW wrecked his car, but great job so far at patching up your bumper, looks like its turning out great!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging comments gents.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

First layer of fiberglass on today. Hoping to have at least the bumpers done in time for Westiva.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                                Ian
                                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X