Ian's B6T Festiva build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian's B6T Festiva build

I've just completed the purchase of a complete B6T and transmission, FMS/ATH body kit, complete Aspire swap, and a 93 B6 swapped Festiva from forum member jr.fester.

My family and I making a project of this which we'll document here and on our econoboxcafe blog.

Here's a quick overview of what we have in mind:

- strip the 'new' car down and make any rust repairs etc
    - install body kit
    - paint... probably red but who knows
    - Aspire swap
    - switch over all the goodies from my current car including Teins, seats steering wheel etc.

Planned completion: Westiva 2014.

The subject:

The new heart:

Turbo side:
    Last edited by fastivaca; 07-05-2013, 11:13 PM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

another festiva build woohoo!!

Congrats Ian, that looks like a promising family projectccasion5::headbang::thumbright::blob5::happy2:ccasion9::nike::wav:
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

should be awesome!
      Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Oh man am I jealous! Is this going to replace your current Festiva? Also what seats are in this new car?

Now my car will be really slow compared to yours!

Look forward to this build!

-Scott
        Aqua 93 L
        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

The kids are getting a little big for a single cam N/A B6. I should get you a 5 door shell from Mexico, I saw a red one the last time I was there. That'll give them 5" extra leg room and their own doors.
          Looking forward to the build!
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-06-2013, 11:37 AM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Congrats on your new project Ian, that will be one sweet ride when your done with it! Whats the plan for your current Festiva after you swap all the parts off it?

Comment

An update.... sort of

Been sorting through all the bits and pieces that came with the car. Some of you have kindly purchased some of those, thank you! I traded the humungous 27"x12"x3" front mount intercooler for a more manageable 21"x7"x2˝" one which new in the box.

Here's some of the work we'll be doing on the project car:

- Remove the interior for cleaning and installation of sound deadener
              - Install pedals for the standard transmission
              - Remove front and rear bumpers
              - Make necessary repairs to the body work
              - Do some fibreglass work to bring the FMS front bumper back close to original
              - Remove the current B6 (a later model) and automatic transmission
              - Figure out all the mounting etc. for the new engine and transmission. There are custom mounts already for the passenger side and rear transmission. I need to ensure that they will work together and then fabricate the front mount.
              - I'll do all the wiring while the interior is out.
              - Complete Aspire brake swap (car already has the Aspire master cylinder/booster). I'll use the calipers and rotors from my current car as they are the larger ones from an automatic.
              - Remount the battery up front, thinking of using an MX-5/Miata or Honda Civic battery.

I plan to transfer the "goodies" over from my current car so I'm not sure exactly what will happen to it afterwards. Here's some on them...

- Factory A/C
              - The Toyota MR2 seats (will probably recover them at some time when budget allows)
              - Short shifter
              - Tein coilovers and other suspension bits
              - Wheels and tires
              - Sound system
              - Hood strut
              - Steering wheel (the one in the car now is a cheap e-bay Momo knock-off, way too much flex in it for my liking)
              - Mazda 121 grille and headlights

Clean up has already started on the car. The Acura seats that were in it are now in my daughter's car and her old LX seats are in the project.

My son is going to be the official project photographer. I'll post a few up a bit later as they are all quite large at the moment.

Overall idea is to get this car done by the end of May 2014. Progress may be in fits and starts as time, funds and other responsibilities allow.

Here's a photoshopped picture that DJ sent me a loooonnnnggg time ago (I think Travis actually did the work) that is a bit of inspiration for the project....

Last edited by fastivaca; 07-17-2013, 10:29 PM.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

wicked!

Comment

Nice start to the build Ian!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Looking forward to this build sub'n...gotta' love a B6T
                    Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                    Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                    Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                    WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Great start looking forward to the build pictures.
                      Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
                      187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

Littel update:

- stereo and speakers pulled and installed in my daughter's Festiva... she is very happy with the new sounds and comfy seats.
                        - clutch and flywheel removed so that the engine can go on the stand.
                        - checked the turbo and there's not too much play so I'm going to order a rebuild kit

Here are some of the photos my son, Elias, has taken of the project...

The body kit...

Plan with the front bumper is to reduce the size of the large opening by about half its current height to better suit the intercooler I have.

(Not taken by Elias)

The back bumper...

The hood is in great shape..

A couple of shots of the engine on the stand...

A new water pump is on the way and I'll install a new timing belt, tensioner and idler.
                        I've learned that the car this engine came from had about 250K km (155K miles) on it. Dustin (jr.fester) is pretty sure that the engine had been rebuilt at some earlier date. He also had the head resurfaced and cleaned up a bit.

Looking forward to getting some time to spend on the body work and general cleanup prior to working on the engine & transmission install.
                        Last edited by fastivaca; 08-10-2013, 02:22 PM.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Oh man this is fun stuff! I'm excited to see this car get going!
                          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

^ yeah its gonna be wicked

Comment

New water pump and timing belt arrived today! Will order new tensioner and idler soon.

I think the first thing I'm going to do is test fit the front bumper and intercooler. Next the rear bumper and then get going on the body work.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X